Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The Skunk Works ... Classified Projects

The Skunk Works ... Classified Projects
November 26, 2014 04:05AM
It's always dangerous to show works in progress. It is unlikely that most readers will know where you are going with the parts and plans. There is the obvious fact that things are not finished. All the edges are rough, things have a 2 dimensional "flat" appearance as profiles aren't relieved or polished. If a part will look amazing with a "patina" in the finished form, it just looks dull and dingy as a part.

However; there is the need to light the fire before we have the coals to cook on later.

image.jpg

These are roller engraved parts in progress. The dome is hand raised roller engraved copper. It will play against patina brass in a unique bi-metal case. The knife shows solid roller engraved brass case sides. Additional detail and texture will augment. Stainless blade with file work spine.

I've made tooling, and ... more tooling. I hope I'll have products you like. There is always the possibility of the dreaded Crickets. The skilled craftsmanship is here. I realize we have an airgun forum. But we have many, many highly educated and successful people stopping in. You have wide and varied taste, and experience with fine objects. Question is always .... are you all stopping. Can I ask you to slow down and consider something other then a water cooled belt fed 50 cal. air gun. I swear, the first person who asks prices and availability on the belt feed .... will be on probation for a year! . And so; I submit the items I've felt compelled to work on. Christmas is coming. Every family NEEDS artifacts to become "Dad's knife", and "Grandfather's pocket case".

Ok. This is what I've been developing. It's 11 PM and I'm on the shop patio on a tee shirt. It's fresh - but manageable. That part of the plan is working. I can see Kelly's Christmas lights on the back porch, thru the woods, from the studio patio. That's working great. I love seeing the family parts she does for us. Family and friends are coming for Thanksgiving.

We hope you and your family will have a Blessed Thanksgiving. We hope you continue to come here for a break from the maddness. It's been stressful here - but logic, honesty, and honorable behavior will always be found here.

God Bless
Gary

Yes! The second and third persons to ask will too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2014 04:16AM by barnespneumatic.
November 26, 2014 12:00PM
Interesting, I would be interested in one. Any idea on the price range for this knife format?

Thanks,

julio
November 26, 2014 03:32PM
Hello Julio,

I really appreciate your interest. I want to complete one before I publically price it.

Ill be in touch for the prototype. thumbs up

Gary
November 26, 2014 03:41PM
That's pretty slick . Looks like you left room for name or initials in center also .
November 26, 2014 04:01PM
I have Kurt. Indeed.

Glad you like it.

The depths of the design will be black. The tips bright. There will be fine texturing around the design. The case gets sculpted around the edges.

The knives will be priced in a comfortable range.

Gary
November 26, 2014 03:54PM
This Roller Engraved Pocket Knife is now SOLD

It has a fine blade of index card stock. What ... you never heard of a "Paper Cut!" Hehe. rolling happy smiley

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2014 12:38AM by barnespneumatic.
November 27, 2014 05:44AM
Good work there Gary, sold hot off the press!
Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving.
Regards
Neil
November 28, 2014 12:42AM
Thanks Neil,

And to you and Julie as well! God Bless.

It's been enjoyable to resurrect the roller mill technology. There is soooo much there. Dies made to last a lifetime, that have made two pressings. More Gary's .... bring me more Gary's .... Haha.

Happy walks in that enchanted countryside.

Gary
November 27, 2014 05:14PM
Happy Thanksgiving Gary, best wishes to Kelly and the family as well.

Glad to see the new items are moving right along into new hands that will appreciate them. It can seem to take forever to get settled up when closing on a house, and no deal is 100% done until the check is in the bank and cashed. It's encouraging to hear that you're working ever closer to that happy day, it's something to be thankful for right there.

I like the brass bolster design, it looks to be a fine piece of work. Have you thought about making a similar design in a fixed-blade?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021