Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 3D Printer - First Print

3D Printer - First Print
January 30, 2015 03:07AM
So after another hour assembling and then spending 3 hours trying to load drivers, set the height and learn the software that runs it, I made the first part. It is a fan shroud for the fan. Now I need to learn more about settings etc. Also now find out my Windows XP is getting a bit old but I cannot upgrade just yet. Software that I purchased years ago will not work on Windows 7. I cannot afford to update the software as I do not do enough design and Cnc machining to warrant it.

image.jpg

Post more soon as I figure things out. I now need to get going on some design to figure my next rifle smiling smiley

Pedro
January 30, 2015 04:01AM
Cool. thumbs up
January 30, 2015 05:58AM
Pedro,

The software won't run on 32 bit Windows7?

Lon
January 30, 2015 06:20PM
Hi Lon,

I am looking into it. In the past every time I asked the software reseller their quick answer was "No". Now with the 32 bit it might work.One way to find out smiling smiley

Thanks for suggesting it.

Pedro
February 01, 2015 03:55PM
The problem may be print drivers, the application should run.

P.S. OK, read below. Never mind. Glad you are in busyness.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2015 03:58PM by Bigbore.
February 01, 2015 04:12AM
I spent a good portion of the day looking into Windows 7. I had to back some files first on the desktop. Then bought and downloaded win7. It came in a ISO format and needed to create a bootable USB. What a crazy process, I ran microsoft windows boot USB software that would recognize the ISO file I downloaded from the software reseller and creates a usb that will boot the system during install. After 2-3 hours I started over, the software said the windows 7 I bought wasn't a valid ISO file. I repeated all step the same, down loaded the bought win7 again, ran all the same programs and this time it read the ISO file!

My biggest concern was that my cnc software would still run and it did. Didn't even need compatibility mode. I was rather upset as the software resellers had always told me I need to upgrade their software to run on Win 7. All they were after was to make a sale, zero assistance with informing me that it would work.

Next step is to upgrade my laptop. I have to move so many files and reinstall programs. Will get one computer working at a time. To much frustration!

I did "play" with the 3D printer during the day. Downloaded and printed gadgets from thingiverse.com. It is where people share models that can be printed. I will show more time soon. Hope to play some,ore and learn what I need to prototype parts I want for next build.

Thanks for reading,

Pedro
February 01, 2015 02:09PM
Hi Pedro,
Thanks for posting!
Sounds like a real head banger ....
You sure machining billet carbide wouldn't be easier? Hahaaaahh. pushingarock
Keep at it.
Hey - you must print me one of those yellow bunnies every video shows. winking smiley. That has up be on the shareware bundle.
Takes dedication to get a new system up and running. You will have some imperfect widget sitting on your shelf for the rest of your life - printed at the moment you felt the whole thing come together. I have them. Things I'd have to explain to people. Trophies I can't toss. Things with no purpose but they bring a smile.
Good luck Peter. A worthy cause!
Best,
Gary
February 02, 2015 04:36PM
Machining billet carbide might be easier than learning all the ins & outs of new software. It is not windows 3.1 anymore.

My desktop worked alright to move to Windows 7 but it cannot handle the large programs. If I start a 3D print and press any icons after it crashes. My Laptop will do better as it has much more power. That will be a task in itself moving all data off before installing Windows 7.

But perhaps working with carbide might be easier, haha.

Pedro
February 02, 2015 02:16AM
With the Win7 upgrade you'll get support for the OS from Microsoft for at least another 5 years, although its value would be debated. At least it will help you keep up with the Internet crooks.

Lon
February 02, 2015 04:37PM
Agreed, support for a few years until Windows 10 becomes mandatory. Hackers are plentiful.

Printer works, most things seem to run well. Again, thanks for suggesting Win 7 - 32 bit!

Pedro
January 31, 2015 03:36PM
That's pretty neat. Looking forward to seeing all the cool stuff you come up with!
February 04, 2015 04:05AM
Printed a few more items on the weekend. Made a key chain with wife's name on it. Made a solid model and then converted to the STL format. Seem to work well.

image.jpg

Found a stealth bomber and thought it would be great for kids. I had seen one guys post, he made all sorts of toys for his kids. ie Lego bridges

image.jpg

Gary, I tried a rabbit I found but had issues. I will try to get you a bunny yet! Haha

A heated bed will be next add on and extend the table travel. Easily done on the unit. A heated bed keeps the parts sticking to table and reduces warp. I had some small parts come loose while printing so be good to have.

More to come. Have a great week all!

Pedro
February 04, 2015 05:25AM
Very Cool. I like it. Can see how you would get hooked.

I don't know the process. Is there some stylus that reads the original model - such as the two tone "MARIA" master. I take it that is your created Master and then you printed the white opaque version.

Hope you are feeling improved! ;?)

Gary
February 04, 2015 09:42PM
Hi Gary,

I think what I will do is create another post thread detailing the steps from part to printing. Outline the details required involved. It is easy than it looks but I have been around computers since grade school.

The program used to make the code is called Repetier-Host. A free download and is open source.

I did go to work and suffered through the day. Lots of meds confused spinning smiley sticking its tongue out smiling smiley

Feeling so so, coughing, sneezing all the fun stuff. Think its related to my tonsils (pretty sure). They swell but never get bad enough that a doctor wants to yank them out. Happens every few years.

Regards,

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 24
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021