Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Curiosity

Curiosity
January 30, 2015 08:33PM
You do get used to judging sizes. Sensing if things are correct. I've done this sort of curiosity for decades. You don't get paid for it - but it's something that you see and go .... Hummmmm. stunned

On a spring guide. I needed to turn a segment to .530" on a length of delrin.

Made the first judged cut. Measure to verify. Of course - you want to be a few thousandths over on critical steel parts. Take a final finish cut. This part would be fine within a tolerance of +/- 10 thou. Guess my mind just said ... That'll be about right.

image.jpg

Do this sort of thing all the time. Haha. Pipe smoker

When I used to occasionally make a couple of pocket knives alike - I'd accidently pick up parts out of sequence on the bench. Like a blade from knife one and lock bar from knife two. And, they'd fit and just almoooost be correct. But - just not as smooth. I'd track the problem and discover the error. Both just fit by hand - should never be close. As I say - you don't get paid for it. Often it's a nuscience. Ha.

Anyway. Finish this spring guide and I'll take a couple shots with this Outrider 50 Action.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2015 04:14AM by barnespneumatic.
January 30, 2015 09:11PM
The 'ol calibrated eyeball in action, eh?nerd

Works for feel too, if you have enough experience. The crew chiefs / mechanics that work on helicopters get really good at judging just by feel how worn out some particular parts are, for example. By feeling the "slop" in the ball joint end of a pitch-change link they can figure if one needs replacing, or if it's still "good to go". One guy I used to work with could tell within about a half of a thousandth of an inch how worn one was just by the feel of it. If it was close to the limit, they'd put a dial indicator on it to check and he'd be right on the money every time.
January 30, 2015 09:36PM
That's experience at work. Precision eyeball is what we call it at our shop . That's good Karma finally going in your direction Gary . The stars are aligning , and all is well in Gary's world . Just think if you could whip up a couple on your 3D printer .... Would ya ?
January 31, 2015 04:28AM
Hi Kurt,

Yes, I'm feeling much relieved. The mind is starting to calm some. I realize I'm way behind. A man is responsible for his decisions. Not for fate. Fate and decisions "could" work together. Could cancel out negative karma. Very seldom does. Usually they exaggerate the error. But; you can wear it down, if you just keep at it. Haha. I saw Old Man Fate limping out the driveway earlier today. Didn't even look back. laughing

wow

Gary
January 31, 2015 01:36PM
I can never get closer than .005 by eye.wink

Lon
January 31, 2015 03:52PM
I can't even see .005 unless the other .5 is there!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021