Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Shooting Lead with the Yukon II GS

Shooting Lead with the Yukon II GS
April 06, 2009 01:43AM
Had the chance to take Julio's Yukon II out for some shooting. Had previously gave it a good shine and thought it needed a little exercise to "blow out any carbon build up". It was a nice and sunny day so I got some glam shots as well.

Now what to shoot. I liked the lead flower made by the Victory but, the back of a spent 87 slug just wouldn't do. How about a lead casting.

Yukon bb c.JPG thin man c.JPG

Here is the shot set up the lead billet is surrounded and backed by my steel big bore targets. Wanted to keep the lead upright and any fliers contained for examination.
Shot setup c.JPG
The result was to knock down all of the steel targets with each shot at fifty yards. I hit very close to the center of the individual billets, but seeking the path of least resistance the slugs deflected toward the thinner regions of the casting. Both penetrated the lead completely and flattened against the steel backer with a clang. At first I thought I had missed the lead altogether. The clang of the slug stricking steel was only minimally muffled by going through the lead first.
Dual holes in lead c.JPG Exit dual hole lead c.JPG
This result was a little surprising when compared with the ballistic bear being shot by the Carnivore 58. Both are 500 + ft/lbs with this slug and the BB putty stopped it. Now I know the lead is much thinner but still, electricians putty vs lead. Who da thunk it???idea

Taking good care of the Yukon for a great bud, thanks Julio!smileys with beer

Kent

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2009 02:55PM by Cajun Justice.
Re: Shooting Lead with the Tukon II GS
April 06, 2009 03:11AM
Hi Kent,

Interesting!

You have quite a bit of power on tap there. If I recall ... the Carnivore was doin' 600 and Julio's numbers, sent with his targets, had him over 700 foot pounds. Don't let all that power go to your head ... it only works with targets. No "world domination" now! laughing again

thumbs up

GAry
April 06, 2009 03:35AM
Kent,

Sorta like working with clay, man-style!

What a play ground you have; Mom was right, I should have been a doctor.smileys with beer

Lon
April 06, 2009 04:30AM
Hi Lon,

Your mother would have you check back at the homestead to see if you can play. I checked with my mom and she says you can come over to play anytime. more innocent Hope you can make it.

Shooting lead into lead eliminates the tedious task of picking up the slug remains from the grass or melting them down into a new billet. How green, hope it makes me eligible for some Obama tax credits.

Kent
April 06, 2009 12:50PM
All that green talk ... sort of brought a tear. Nothing like a "natural" element (like lead) to brighten your day. hehe.

Now, ya have to get a small bake pan (like for brownies) ... and pour yourself a single thickness block - about 1/2 - 3/4 inch thick. Set the pan on bricks now (not Kelli's table). tongue sticking out smiley

Now that I think about it ... get two or three pans, and nest them to make a more sturdy tray that won't warp up as much.

We'll just wait here while ya do that. grinning smiley

Gary
April 07, 2009 05:20AM
Kent,

In spite of recent events I'm still keeping October on the calendar.excited

Corse you may have heard I'm going to have to borrow a gun this year.crying

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2009 05:22AM by Bigbore.
April 06, 2009 03:45PM
Nice post Kent. It looks like Gary has already provided instruction on how to improve your lead on lead penetration experiment. We're just waiting now...laughing again

Assuming you filled the gun to the same pressure as Julio and used the same weight slugs, you should be seeing just over 702 FPE. That's enough to make it significantly more powerful than the other .58s. You might have to pull out the bear again... Then we can rank the guns by "knuckles of penetration."
April 06, 2009 09:36PM
Hey Jerry,

I agree with the new testing proceedures. I'll use an old aluminum pan to get a lead billet of equal thickness. Hey, how about I cant the tray to get a slopeing lead billet so we can test at various thicknesses. I think the best pic will come from the slug just exiting the lead with some "petals" remaining behind at the edges. I'll also develop a different holder for the lead so as not to interfere with slugs exiting etc. Then the B.Bear will come back out to play. WHOO HOO! excited

Now the hard question, which slug was Julio using. I assume the two band, and I believe at 3200 psi? That's what I shot above. Captain Jack, need some confirmation. Is that correct?

Give me some time it may take a few days to get the lead ready. Until then,

Kent
April 06, 2009 09:44PM
Oh ... OOhhooo!!!! smiling bouncing smiley

Can the Ballistic Bear hold the lead slab? hehehe grinning smiley

Gary
April 07, 2009 10:58PM
barnespneumatic Wrote:

>
> Can the Ballistic Bear hold the lead slab?

Oh now thats just sick. But a valid and sure to be very fun question to see the answser to..... Kent?
April 07, 2009 07:42AM
What can I say Kent but "Ouch!!" That's some serious lead hitting some serious leadeye popping smiley
Regards
Neil
April 07, 2009 04:17PM
Holy Cow!!!
That'll be carrying some energy then!!!!!
My lead plate, bulletproof jacket is gonna need a rethink......!!
April 07, 2009 10:35PM
in a word awsome , a good reminder of what ftlb figures actually look like , nice post , really nice rifle . thanks tom
April 07, 2009 11:00PM
Are the slugs a differnt alloy, or something harder than the billet?

you'd think (and thats the crux of most of my problems) that simialr materials would just blend together.....

oo oo maybe some one could shoot a Duct seal pellett at the bear.....cooler
April 07, 2009 11:11PM
No - they're the same stuff.

It's the velocity that does it.

That's why a "lead" slug will deform "steel" targets ... and even punch right thru things like steel drums.

Gary
April 08, 2009 01:21AM
barnespneumatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No - they're the same stuff.
>
> It's the velocity that does it.
>
Oh, right! kinetic energy makes "target" deform then fail, and it passes thru....just overwhelms it.....
April 08, 2009 02:18AM
Right ... just like the Matrix.

Ruptures the Space/Time Continuum. Quite simple really. whistling

coffee

Gary
April 08, 2009 08:42PM
when you put it like that gary it all makes sense , how about shooting a candle through an oak plank. they did it in days of old , or so im told , with blackpowder guns . be an interesting experiment , you know , one of those days when everythings caught up , and your at a loose end.
April 10, 2009 08:08AM
Basic impact physics there, velocity trumps normal expectations every time. If you tried to hammer those slugs through your lead billet with a claw hammer, you'd just automatically assume it's impossible...and at hammer speeds...it's not.

Add another thousand FPS, and those slugs would go right through 1/8" steel, add another thousand FPS on top of that, and they'd paperpunch 3/8" of regular non-hardened steel with a lot of damage left over for behind the scenes. The impact-damage continuum is highly non-linear, as is the energy needed to accellerate a slug to the numbers we're talking about. Getting twice the velocity doesn't take twice the effort, it's more like four times as much.

Same basic principle explains how meteors do so much damage, they're just going so dang fast. At orbital velocities even a snowflake represents a serious hazard to the astronauts up there, that's why they move the shuttle out of the way even for the smallest objects that could present a collision hazard.

I too will be eagerly awaiting the results of the Yukon II "bake-off". grinning smiley
April 10, 2009 06:46PM
shooting snowballs through a pine door ,,, ohh the possabilitys are endless ,,, unless the snow ball turns to a small water cloud first ,still its a mind bending thought. keep playing , oops experimenting , ill look forwards to reading about the results
thanks
tom
April 10, 2009 06:59PM
Yeah ... we'd definitely need an air "cannon" for the bulk of these tests. LOX rats, snowballs, candles .... winking smiley

Gary
April 10, 2009 09:04PM
Sounds like a job for (cue the music) CHIEF JUSTICE!!!!
April 10, 2009 10:39PM
That's right Jerry. Some pics of shooting April Mississippi snowballs is what we need right now! knucklehead Couldn't let that soft ball just hang there ....

heheheh rolling happy smiley

Gary
April 15, 2009 08:32PM
an air cannon ,,, oh why stop there ,, its got to be an air gattling gun . or how about shooting a wild boar at a hunk of lead instead of just the normal other way round thingy , that other folk do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021