Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Appaloosa

Appaloosa
April 08, 2009 01:40AM
The Appaloosa made it to its permanent home this weekend. It is more beautiful than the pictures can show! Great job Gary!!!take a bow

I stole the Swift scope off my Air Arms S410E, but I had problems with my adjustable rings. WE were still able to shoot before the rain started and the winter weather returned, but my children, 7, 9 and 11 years old, wouldn't give me a turn to shoot once it was sighted-in. We put 75-100 round ball through it at 30 yards. I have a .22 rimfire resetting target from Cabella's, and my older two were hitting it 50-60% of the time.smiling bouncing smiley

This gun is so silent you don't hear anything but the pellet hitting, unless you're the one pulling the trigger. Then, you hear the crisp click of the first stage of the trigger. It is awesome.grinning smiley

Today, I stopped at Walmart to see if they had any rings, but instead bought a "Barnes Special" $60 scope. It's a Centerpoint 3-9x32 scope with illuminated mil-dot reticle. After mounting it, and a very quick sight-in , I put 50 Surefire slugs through it in the back yard before it got dark. No problems with the rings or scope. And, I was hitting the targets 95% of the time.cooler

Hopefully I'll have time this weekend to do a proper sight-in and get some good pictures, and maybe a trophy group or two. But first it will be off to the SCUBA shop for more air.hot smiley

Thanks Gary,

Scott

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2009 02:43PM by Scott.
Re: Appaloosa
April 08, 2009 02:15AM
Hey - you're welcome Scott!

Excellent to read of your family enjoying the Appaloosa. Just great.

Good man too ... saving that scope money for another Barnes .... that's the spirit!!!! grinning smiley

Really glad you shared it with us.

Gary
April 08, 2009 09:20AM
Excellent Scott. I had a chance to shoot a few rounds through that puppy while it was in Gary's shop. That trigger is SWEET . . . one of my favorites that Gary has made. You're a lucky man! smileys with beer

-- Jim
April 08, 2009 02:28PM
Oh great ... now I guess I have to make YOUR trigger nice too! rolling happy smiley hahaha

Gary
April 08, 2009 03:26PM
Another cheap scope on a Barnes.... Oh dear, who'd have thought that Gary's work would end up being used in testimonials to the quality of Chinese scopes? surprised Just kidding, let's not get THAT started again!

It's great that another fine gun is getting used. I'll bet the kids love using a quiet gun with no kick that is "real" and accurate. Now, with 4 shooters and a couple fine PCPs ready to go, I see a compressor in your future. electrified
April 08, 2009 08:52PM
The compressor is on my list. But that list also includes a regulator, long hose and a carbon fiber tank. Which will be first? google eyes

Unfortunately, they will all have to wait until my wife gets new furniture! surrender
April 08, 2009 08:57PM
"A man's got to know his limitations."

Gary coffee
April 08, 2009 10:14PM
Hey ... another thought though ....

It's a help to have that gun run off of 2,500 psi, isn't it. And, it sips air pretty good. So ... you'll be able to get by without a compressor for the time being.

smileys with beer

Gary
April 09, 2009 02:53PM
It absolutely is a "sipper". I can get many more shots out of the Appaloosa and the Ranger on one SCUBA tank, than I can out of my S410E. My tank is now down to 2500 psi which makes it hardly worth the effort to hook up the 410sad smiley, but I can shoot like normal with my Barnes rifles.cooler

I'll still ask for a 3300 psi fill when I get to the SCUBA shop. Sometimes they'll overfill, sometimes they won't. (In the SCUBA diving field a 3300 psi fill is generally considered safe.) It all depends on who is behind the counter. They are always amazed when I bring in a tank with >2000 psi in it.more confused
April 09, 2009 03:33PM
Hi Scott.

Ya know ... I have a 100 tank here, with K valve ... that is rated for 3,300 fills. Used to last for a loooong time. It's an aluminum tank. Out of test, I'm sure ... but with little use on it. Heck ... I have a bunch of aluminum 80's here. Just don't use them since carbon fiber. But, those two guns of yours were specially adapted to the use of normal tanks. Glad that works so well.

Gary
April 08, 2009 11:01PM
Heheh . . . welcome to my world. surrender

I'm in need of a compressor myself, though there's a volunteer fire department right around the corner I haven't yet tried hitting up for air . . .

-- Jim
April 08, 2009 05:36PM
Way to go Scott!!!,

That's the way to show the other Barnes owners that these guns were made to shoot. And you posted your experience.surprised

As with everything else it is almost always more fun to watch your kids having safe responsible fun with a gun, than pulling the trigger yourself. Everywhere the shooting community is worried about how we are going to continue the shooting sports and here you have the answer, one smiling kid at a time. My three are each just one year older than yours. They are all good shots and the oldest enjoys the bigbores as well. Be safe and have fun!

Kent
April 08, 2009 05:45PM
Of course, now that the posting has begun...we will bug you until we have pictures! excited
April 08, 2009 11:53PM
appaloosa.jpg

Is this what you wanted--Jerry???hehehehehe!!!!
April 09, 2009 12:45AM
Actually, I was hoping for pictures of the Appaloosa that shoots the slugs out the front... nerd
April 09, 2009 02:15AM
But... Jerry? The Appaloosa in that pic does snort air out the front, just like any Barnes gun.... grinning smiley

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
upkeep
April 14, 2009 11:22PM
Hmmm, you may be right Hurro. I'll bet that upkeep is cheaper on the Barnes model, though. tongue sticking out smiley
April 15, 2009 01:53AM
Indeed... grinning smiley

Plus, a Barnes doesn't require a barn for shelter, when it's not in use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
April 15, 2009 04:26PM
If Gary ever figures out how to make a PCP run on hay, it'll be one for the record books alright. ; )
April 16, 2009 01:19AM
I'm waiting for that self-charging electric airgun... whistling

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021