Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Sunday Evening Survey

Sunday Evening Survey
June 14, 2015 11:45PM
What would you guys like to see!

In the realm of smaller items. I'll acknowledge that the entire Ledger cleared (or at least your part) was the first thing spoken to the screen. bullhorn

Now ... Can we acknowledge that, even I; should be able to go home occasionally? Since we know that Artists have no lives - we work on other things/ideas to unwind a bit. What have I made in the last year, that you enjoyed seeing? What did you miss, that perhaps you were thinking about? I made a bunch of stuff to bridge the gap. Lots of Pocketknives - many different kinds, Pocket Cases - His and Hers, Some Jewelry, A few boxes. Some PCPs.

Continuing in the tradition of "too much honesty", you know that I have to combine income along with ledger obligations. The health crap has dragged too far down the road for me to still be living off of those chests upon chests of gold coins and chains that I was paid earlier whistling . You realize it's been many years since I accepted regular catalog orders. Therefore; time has to be split. Pay as I go, Finish and Clear orders as I go. Now - what I can keep "in house", I want to do that - meaning Id' love to see my friends get the unique smaller things I make. But I can't just wither down to nothing if the site just becomes nothing but a idle entertainment for a few minutes of reading. It's been my logic, that I won't be doing a lot of extra guns ... that takes too long and wouldn't be fair for ledger holders. I might rarely do so, but I thought that less expensive items which are enjoyable to pick up more easily, would be the ticket. I want this to be a place you also expect to find some neat things of interest. A place you check when you might need gift items. With things like my pocket cases ... yeah ... OK ... what "exactly" do you do with them? Well .... what "exactly" do you do with Antique Pocket Watches? Yep - they tell time. Do you carry them? No. You enjoy the different types, the workmanship, etc. All of the art techniques I learned for the Custom Knives ... and then the Air Guns .... are all applicable to the Pocket Cases. Each one is different. I can see a Grid Shadow Box with 9 of them in it, that would be absolutely killer. Stand alone pcs. You so the same things with them you do with Custom Knives. Enjoy, Open and Close, Polish, Carry .... (Collect Yeti Hair). No - I know you do not "USE" 99% of your custom knives. Anyway .....

I can't even think of any kind of "orders" on small items. God Forbid! Wouldn't do it. It must be spontaneous items, but not as in "left handed pot holders" and the like. Thru the years, I've made darned near anything and everything. It's 99.999% gone, so somebody must have liked it. We are seriously talking about thousands upon thousands of fine objects. It would be nice to know what you have seen, that you enjoyed. No - a comment won't be considered a desire to buy something. I just want to know what comes to mind that you have seen and liked.

Once I have made something, I don't mind helping people afford it, if they like it. So; splitting up a few payments is fine with me. Now that's not normal for Craftspeople of over four decades in professional trade.

I hope you aren't sitting there grinding your teeth over time and orders. You know, I could become a really bitter old .... guy for the way my own plans and expectations have worked out. I've worked all my life to develop a wealth of skills. Now I fight my own health to work. Just how it is. Move on. Develop a plan to deal with it. Being honest. I made the choices I made - I'm here. Many made others - many choose better then I did. Many choose far better - they won that round. If you are younger and stronger - you win that round. But, if you want to give a few people some chunks of metal, and a hunk of wood or bone ... to see what they can make out of it ... who ya gonna bet on? Several would think I might come up with something interesting. That's why when I made knives professionally - and traveled to huge shows .... as we set up the tables - the first thirty or so people to visit my table - were the other Knifemakers. They wanted a show to, and knew I'd have a complete departure from what was laid on every other table. It's in making unique ideas, that I come as close to relaxing as I ever get. It keeps me from becoming that bitter old man. So I hope to have it also pay the bills.

I'd like to make things that you have liked. I'd like you to think of this site, and me; when you need a neat gift or a new toy. These are things I can add a couple of hours here and there, and make an heirloom quality item in a few sessions. It gives me a boost to finish something nice. It doesn't take good time away from orders. I go as far as I can, and I get burnt out too ... just like someone asked to stay another several hours after work. That's when I do a bit of therapy work, and make small jewels to balance out the stress.

Add a comment if you like. I'd value your opinion.

Thanks for reading.
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 04:18AM by barnespneumatic.
June 15, 2015 02:57PM
Hi Gary,

I read your post and will think about the many items I have seen in your previous site and here. Will try to provide a few suggestions tonight.

Over the years what have been your best selling items that take less time to create?

Thinking...

Pedro
June 17, 2015 02:34AM
My thoughts are the letter openers. Also some of the rolling mill pressed imprints. The knives are great as well.

Hope this helps!

Pedro
June 17, 2015 03:51AM
Yes, it does. Thanks.

thumbs up
June 15, 2015 08:11PM
Hi Gary,

I must have a pretty dull life. I really admire your craftsmanship and creativity but I also enjoy and appreciate
some of the projects you have done around your house as well. The "implement" for moving timbers behind your
tractor comes to mind.

I also really appreciate the fact that you take time to stop what you're doing to snap a photo. I recall recently you
posted a fine looking plate of food that was interesting as well.

For me, the projects that get my attention the most are ones that include mastery in multiple materials. Leather, wood,
metal, stone, glass etc. You have no fears in design or working and that is what I admire the most.

Thanks for taking the time.
June 16, 2015 05:02AM
Thanks Bob,

Very encouraging. I appreciate it.

image.jpg

In keeping with the BPS Food Network: I've chosen this rendition from several days past. I call it .... "Evening Shift Bench Pork Chop". Came with Sliced/Baked Potatoe.

Glad you like the log sulky. That has been extremely handy. The self lever lift action of the tongue is amazing. With the short 3 point hitch boom lift for the tractor, I can back the sulky and thread a needle.

Please keep watching nits good to know you are there. I figured most folks had just left.

Best
Gary
June 15, 2015 09:39PM
Knives! Love 'em. That bright green one from six months ago or so was beautiful. And anything made of fossilized mammoth bone or engraved with skeletons, dragons, or other beasties gets an extra thumbs up. skull

-- Jim
June 16, 2015 05:04AM
Hah! I have a Dragon Knife in the hopper now!

A version of a folder I made Circa "76-78".

Gary
June 16, 2015 01:04AM
If you've got some interesting blanks of interesting (like damscus/wootz/forge-welded) steel sitting around that aren't quite up to specs for a fixed-blade knife, how about some fancy-pants letter openers? You could acid-etch or engrave the handle/flats, no need for scales, just metal.

Some people even make them out of the tougher hardwoods, but I know you can't have the trees getting all the credit. winking smiley
June 16, 2015 05:08AM
Interesting. I do have tins of forge welded steel, and an inventory of blades from the Maryland Forge.

Ill look around.

Thanks!
Gary
June 19, 2015 03:50AM
Gary,

I find I enjoy seeing all your smaller work, especially the knives and metalwork jewelry.

Karl
June 24, 2015 02:04PM
Gary,
I have always admired the targets that you made for the rendezvous/gathering that you held (although I was only able to attend one of them in person I also loved seeing them in the photos on the site). I would love to have a set of 'lightweight' 'regular airgun' targets for backyard use. Not a set of 40 pound each big bore targets, but some unique 'Barnes Inspired' backyard items. Just some two, four, six or eight steel designs, with built in stands, that I can set on the ground or on a stump and shoot my Daisy's, Crosman's and break barrel guns at. They could be anywhere from 2 to 6 inches tall/wide and be light enough to knock down with the old UK legal 12 foot pounds of energy kind of gun. Kind of an update on the regular old sillouette ram, pig and etc. for friendly and unique backyard use.
Thanks!
June 24, 2015 04:04PM
Hi Jeff,

That, is a wonderful idea! I like it.
Thank you for participating.
I even have the design in my head .... neat.

Keep thinking guys.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021