Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Outrider 50 - TARGETS target plane

Outrider 50 - TARGETS target plane
July 01, 2015 10:50PM
Having cast my Barnes Mold with Tin/Lead mix, I shot these targets. These are not Cherry Picked from a bunch of targets. There are Three (3) Barnes 50 cal. Slugs for Rifles and Pistols at this time. I shot 1 shot as a sighter for each slug. I then posted a target and shot 1 group for each slug design. These are the three targets. They were shot using a simple Simmons 4X Shotgun scope. Distance was 34 yards as I have a steel splash plate there. My longer range is not yet built. This is far enough to see if a rifle/slug combo is a match. These work.
Last comment, I was "keeping it simple" and just using 2,500 psi. That was enough to drive the Hornets at 806 fps. I have not done extensive max. Data charts. Lets leave something for the new owners to discover and report! Enjoy. Thanks for reading.

Gary
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
July 01, 2015 11:46PM
Yowza
Looks like that's the ticket . Those are some great groups . So you're shooting from the range hut with pine bark silencing wall ? I was wondering how that wall settled in and if you had to add more bark nuggets . The 4th of July week is a good time to shoot around here . Some of the mortars going off round these parts are house rattling ! I can't wait to get some shooting on . My current bullet trap is made of 1/4" aluminum check plate but somehow in my mind I'm thinkin 50 cal Barnes, probably not . I might have to whip up a snail trap like Pedro has .
Thanks for posting .

Thanks
Kurt
July 02, 2015 04:10AM
Yeah Kurt ... the gun would "recycle" the 1/4" aluminum. The last resetting dual paddle target I made in Md. has about 1/2" steel paddles on it. Jerry's Yukon bent them all to heck at 50-75 yards.

I made a steel scroll trap. Used about 1/4" - and everything was angles and scrolls. The big guns tore it up. I didn't have acute enough angles, but you'll be amazed what it will do. I haven't tested them for max power ... but a 400+ slug makes a mess of things.

When you get it ... try this for fun. Take some blocks of just 2 by 4 about 8" long. Set them up just loose, standing in front of a backer. Shoot them with a Raptor or Hornet. You will think you missed. Many of them will just sit there. Go up and there will be a paper punched hole thru it that looks drilled. Amazing that the slug can impart enough energy, fast enough, to do that without driving the block back 20 yards flipping and tumbling.

Not sure if we can get it there for the 4th weekend. I can stuff it and ship it tomorrow. Overnight if you like. Sometimes the rates on ins. are cheaper overnight (cause it has less time exposure) and it makes it comparable to slower rates with higher insurance per hundred. I'll check.
You see how all this testing and packing/shipping adds up in time. I actually hate to send the things cause the final wrap up, testing, etc. takes so long. That's why I live the fast life - get the big bucks .... hehehe.

Gary
July 02, 2015 03:21AM
Gary,

Wow, those are very impressive groups. A lot of power there 50 cal at 800+ fps and only 2500 psi.

Very satisfying I am sure to see everything come together and see great groups!

Thanks for displaying the groups.

Pedro
July 02, 2015 09:09AM
Yes Sir Gary,
I'll take those groups any day! I only managed to snag one of those Simmons shotgun scopes when they were around, but they really do work well. I picked up one of their new (to me anyway - don't really know how long they have been on the market) "8 Point" scopes to put on a .22 rifle a while back. $50.00 in a local (not big box) sporting goods store. Made in China, of course, but a pretty nice piece of work. It is finished well and was easy to mount and sight in, although the clicks are a bit mushy. It's not going to get a lot of abuse on that rifle, and I don't know how long it will hold up, but I was surprised and am happy with it for now.
Good shooting too,
Jeff
July 02, 2015 03:53PM
Nice! Good consistency in the point of impact for such a variety of slug weights, too.
July 02, 2015 04:05PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for documenting the Outrider .50 shooting session. Which one of these slugs would be your default slug for this rifle?

julio
July 02, 2015 07:37PM
Hello Julio,

All of them. They all shoot great.

They will have different purposes. The Hornet at 190 grains is heavy enough for Deer and will fly a bit flatter. But, if you are a tree stand hunter and want to break bone and shoot clear thru (making two holes) then the big Carnivore is King. The Raptor will do both.

All really amazing slugs. If I had the time, I'd put my Nikko Sterling on there and really get serious. You need 18X up to target shoot, but you can't hunt with that.

I thought these clearly showed the trip, from my Idea for the Outrider thru the Cloverleaf holes in the Targets! take a bow

Gary
Anonymous User
July 03, 2015 02:43AM
Nothing better than one hole in the target. The owner will be proud to have a fine example of Barnes functional artwork.
July 03, 2015 09:38PM
Gary,
"You need 18x up to target shoot." Thank goodness for that piece of advice! And here i thought it was my 60 year old eyes all along. Yep, it's time to go scope shopping winking smiley
Later,
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021