Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Kurt and Ed

Kurt and Ed
July 03, 2015 04:22AM
Wasn't going to risk shipping over a long holiday weekend. That's asking for trouble. Many addresses, even when you pay for overnight .... they will not "guarantee" it overnight. Then you have stuff laying around depots for several days. Bad.

We will get things out of here in the new week. Takes time to pack and ship. I always find it stressful. Then there's the stare down at the Post Office. I'd rather do many other things. But, we will get them there. After all this time and work, can't screw it up now.

Have a Grilled Hot Dog for me over the 4th.
GAry
July 03, 2015 12:38PM
"Then there's the stare down at the Post Office." Funny.

The women at the airport always loved the Barnes laminate stock. When I opened the case you could see the look in their eye, like they were looking at a new pair of pumps.

Lon
July 03, 2015 09:32PM
Oh, Amen to that. Whenever I have to ship anything shooting related (except firearms that you HAVE to state on the manifest) I just pack it and tell them it's machine parts. Why should they care that I have to ship a reloading machine back to the manufacturer for warranty service. "Oh, it makes bullets, that can't be good (said with eyes rolling)!" Nope, better just to avoid it all to start with. Have a great holiday everyone!
Jeff
July 03, 2015 09:42PM
Goes back to the old joke .... "It's a pneumatic hole punch". Haha
July 04, 2015 02:15AM
I can imagine the stress of working on something over a year long and then trusting it to too government workers ! Haha did I say that out loud? I bought something ..... Once that included #50 +\-lead shot and wasn't home to recieve it . When i left to fetch it from PO I sure got alota weird looks .I also remember my neighbor lady calling me to say a large wood crate was dropped off in her driveway for me . I went over and there it was slid rite off the truck into the middle of driveway . That one was those big brown trucks . Go figure ! All they cared about was a signature !! Anybodys

Thanks
Kurt
July 04, 2015 05:15AM
That still doesn't beat my Wood Chipper being delivered to the Mortician across the street in Md. There is was, Funeral Home ... and sitting outside was a brand new Orange Wood Chipper. Must have raised some eyebrows. Was during the time we were going back and forth. haha. Wow.
July 04, 2015 05:36AM
I agree Gary, shipping over a holiday weekend is asking for trouble. It's hard enough trying to get it from point A to point B in one piece, so the least amount of days the better. Have a great 4th and stay safe
July 04, 2015 06:24AM
Hey Gary, could you tell me the approximate weight of the slugs on the .308 bullet mold you made for my Scout. Thanks
July 04, 2015 03:17PM
I will weigh the new castings. I forget.

Someone asked me the same thing last night. I'm guessing at least 85 and no more than 110. Wide bracket there I know. Ill weigh it when I see the scale and remember.

Ill be sending you some, from your mold, to get you started. winking smiley.

Remind me too. I have to draw you your sight picture for your default sight setting.

Gary
July 04, 2015 09:03PM
The new Barnes Bishop weighs 101.6 grains Ed.

thumbs up

Gary
July 04, 2015 11:25PM
101.6 grains sounds perfect. I saw the YouTube video and it looked like a hard hitter. That weight of slug should shoot flat and have good range. I have always used wheel weight lead, but after reading all the comments, it seems it may not be the best for high powered airguns. I do mix some tin from solder wire into the pot so the molds fill smooth, but that's the extent of it. Where would a person find pure lead in today's world ? I read about the pianos and roofers lead, but are there any automotive or other sources you are aware of ? The big question is by using wheel weight lead, what are you giving up ? Accuracy, velocity or something else ? Anyway enjoy Independence Day and stay safe.
July 04, 2015 11:46PM
Hi Ed,

To my knowledge, wheel weight lead is just much harder then needed. Meaning, at the same size, you use up more energy to engrave it. Theoretically, once you do engrave it ... it should thread down the tube like a bolt thru a nut. I don't know for sure, try it. The barrel is Chrome Molly. Hard stuff. Firearm quality so I'm not aware it would hurt. I do rifle with sharp knife edges .... I can't swear that something softer might not be better. I just don't know. To my knowledge, reading, and experience, wheel weight lead is just hard as heck and I don't know how pure and clean it is. In theory, again, any impurities should float out as dross, to be skimmed off.

Recyclers have the lead. But, everything has gotten so backwards anymore; most will buy BUT won't sell you any. You can guess why. So, places like Mid West Supply sell new lead for shooters, and bars of tin too. For target practice, you will most likely catch and recycle much with a splash plate or scroll trap.

I'm sure there are online places and Ebay sellers. But I can bet most are selling wheel weight lead. If you knew of a roofing company you might score a deal. You don't need tons of the stuff. I'd think even 20 pounds is gonna wear you down muzzle loading a 308. 20 pounds is just one pot full, but several hundred slugs I'd bet.

Gary
July 05, 2015 04:15AM
Thanks Gary lots of good information. I have cast a lot of the wheel weight stuff over the years, and yes some of the batches seem dirtier than others. It's just as you said a lot of the impurities just float up and are skimmed off. I am in the automotive Bussiness so the lead was easy to come by, at least it used to be. Anymore lead is no longer commonplace. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of ingots that I melted down years ago to be used at a later date, but based on what you said I am going to see if I can find some pure lead and add the tin solder in. We're you ever able to shoot the Scout through a chronograph ? It seemed from the video it was hitting with a good thump.
July 06, 2015 01:48AM
Ed,
We have had a solid month of rain, storms, thunder rumbling most of the day bits been like the Land Before Time!
Every time I set up, the weather changes. So, the day I chrono'd the other gun, I barely escaped with my life. Ha.
I did shoot the slugs at a few steel groundhogs and they hit so hard all I found was flakes.
Ill see how the week starts. We want to ship ASAP. Have to pack, etc. not forget anything. Got some other things to go out - yay.
Another session would give me info., if I can afford the time to do it.
Best,
Gary
July 06, 2015 03:24AM
Gary, just do your best but most of all be safe. I thought Florida was the land of milk and honey. I think the weather is out of whack all over the country. We just got done with the rainiest June on record. Well at least it's warm :-) hit so hard all that was left was flakes ? Sounds delightful !
July 06, 2015 03:49AM
I'm thinking the trade offs aren't perfect. You just try to tip the balance a bit in your favor by changing things. I'm not buying fuel oil. That was hugely expensive up north. In not moving snow. Not slipping and falling. Not aching to the bone in the cold. Not in the middle of Town which was developing modern sensibilities in a world that doesn't like any kinds of guns anymore. So; I'm better here.

Spring here is very wet. Lots and lots of storms. No normal rains. They are all torrential downpours. Errosion is a way of life. The whole state is sand. As Spring turns to Summer, it's hot and buggy. So; Late Spring and early Summer are our trade off for Winter up North. A/C is cheaper then fuel oil. My buildings are well insulated and all have metal roofs. I can get cool easier then getting warm. I won't fall on hot gravel in the driveway. I don't ache in heat.

Then, Fall and Winter here are delightful. So; it's better. If I get it done to a manageable state, and the medical expenses don't break me - it will work. Just. Everything I saved by being frugal and giving up a glamor curb appeal has been replaced and is being eaten up by the insurance industry and Pharma. There is no Paradise. Just scales tipped with different issues to deal with.

Gary
July 07, 2015 06:17AM
I see your point, and Florida is a place where I could see myself ending up. I have always liked the north country, but the winters are so darn long and frigid. I was told of a place in British Columbia called Colona. They call it the Florida of Canada. Always lots of sun, and the winters are mild, summers are bug free and easy breathing. Might have to take a trip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021