Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Scientifics of Airguns

Scientifics of Airguns
July 08, 2015 04:43PM
Quote from Kurt in another post. Thought it may create further discussion between readers... Found stuff on other forums but not much use to make accurate calculations.

"A lot of people don't appreciate the scientific aspect of shooting just the end numbers . I hate to admit but I WAS one of those people. I enjoy shooting targets and hunting but till now never thought much till hearing a lot of this forum talk . It really makes me think about the proving ground aspect . More air must be better ! Maybe ??Bigger lead must be better ! Maybe???Valves , springs, spacers , hammers , sear blocks , delrin ! They all have to talk to each other and play well together ."

I got into airguns (again) in 2007. From then on been a constant learning curve. Just when you think you are onto something, you find out there is much more to it. Going from a scientific approach. There are forces which can be calculated. Currently trying to find the formulas required. Found a few, Hooke's Law for springs, and continuing to find forces, acceleration, time, etc. Been a long time since high school, college, and I hated math!!

Hammers and springs make a difference. Spring diameters, length, amount of coils all determine the springs force. Some online calculators will reveal the lbs/f generated. Force on valves and the required hammer force to open the valve can be established as well. Just the compression of air itself is another world of things to learn. Adiabatics, thermal dynamics, so much more.

Of course there are materials to consider for all the components, heat treating and so much more. So for someone to build rifles from scratch is incredible.

I am sure there are many more aspects to consider. Please feel free to share.

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 03:03AM by pedrog.
July 09, 2015 09:59AM
Pedro
Very true . The complete airgun made by a smith is truly a work of mechanical art ! The barrel length is one that always boggled my brain . To long is no good . To short ,no good . Depth of grooves, twist rate , are just a few thing to calculate and then to fabricate from scratch???!!! Lots of hit and misses to figure it out . Plus ...... Knowing if issues are even barrel related .
I am surprised that you are R&D ing with what is probably the most modified airgun in history . There has to be accurate data available . Do you just have to prove it to yourself that you can figure it out ? Or maybe your certain that they ( airguns ) can be improved . Either way it's a labor of love . You really hafta enjoy tinkering . I think of Leonardo Davinci always starting on paper and his many many drawings . All those ideas sit in your brain waiting to get out .
Good luck and most of all enjoy !

Thanks
Kurt
July 09, 2015 03:56PM
Notice the amount of work involved in each change Pedro makes. To change a part, it involves tearing down a good portion of the gun. Very few parts stand alone. So; when you alter one, you usually have to alter a few more which interact with the first one. It's alot of work, to gain each crumb of knowledge. That's why you don't easily give it away.

Hey, I notice something else. Right now, Pedro has picked up the flag and has made an effort to share with us, and benefit the forum. Please support. Just like keeping me going, it's a sustained need. We appreciate a sustained support so we don't have to start each week with a dead horse to flog into life again.

grinning smiley

Gary
July 09, 2015 11:31PM
My First Aide certification has run out so I am not qualified. I do not want to bring an old horse to life every week. CPR on a horse, yuck...smiling smiley
July 10, 2015 12:19PM
Hi pedrog,
Yep, I believe I got the right poster this time. I'm not in the least qualified to comment on the mechanical/scientific portion of this conversation, but I can comment on the CPR part. As I used to tell the guys at the fire station 'if it comes to CPR, I got compressions!' I was riding in a vehicle with a guy at work the other day and he takes 400 miligrams of lasic a day. The normal dose is about 40 to 60. He is a walking heart attack waiting to happen with congestive heart failure. He started to get real upset over something going on at work and I politely told him to please calm down as I was the only one with him who could give him CPR if needed and I DON'T do mouth to mouth! He laughed and calmed down - thank goodness.

One thing I can add to the discussion is that one of the things that I immediately noted about Gary's guns is no matter what the discussion of the mechanical or asthetic attributes of the guns was the fact that they were amazingly accurate ALWAYS came to the forefront. The balance of the mechanical issues to get the piece to function correctly doesn't even begin to address the accuracy issues. I am personally in awe of anyone who can do either of those tasks and to see someone do both from scratch is truly amazing!

Good luck with your work,
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021