Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Scout - Before it shipped - addition. Pics

Scout - Before it shipped - addition. Pics
July 09, 2015 09:04PM
From Range time, I decided it would be so much nicer to have a cheek Crest on the gun. It brings the sights to register, it feels better, also keeps more skin off of metal.

It was my own time I burned to make and install this accessory. This is the way later Bisons were completed. Hope it's enjoyed. Gary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2015 09:09PM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Sal
July 09, 2015 11:26PM
That completes the gun Gary! Looks great!
July 09, 2015 11:36PM
Another fine build. Love the look of the rifle. Open sights are neat, not many using them anymore?
July 10, 2015 03:38AM
Looks like a winner. Another custom feature that comes from a hand build and test. Thanks Gary
July 10, 2015 11:55AM
Hi Gary,
Absolutely beautiful rifle/carbine Gary! That is the original Barnes look and style that I fell in love with. It is like going back in time to see one on your site again. It has a look that takes me back to the pioneer and explorer times where men depended upon their firearm for life and liveihood.

Hi Julio,
Long time no see/talk digitally with. I don't know if you remember me, but I met you at one of the shoots in Kentucky. The one where you first saw snow and Gary and Kelly (if I remember correctly) made the snowman for you. if not them, then one of the people at the shoot. I can't remember what Gary called that shoot... Er!

Anyway, I recently read in one of the popular gun magazines about a resurgence in the use of open/iron hunting sights in the US. I can't remember the magazine or the month it was published, but I will try to find it and let you know. It even had a listing/review of several recent manufacturers who are making noteworthy iron sights.

Most dangerous game guns still have iron sights, and it they have a scope at all it is in quick release mounts with the theory being that you would take if off if you had to get really close (as in dispatching a wounded animal or giving the coup degrace). Iron sights are generally considered to be faster to pick up and align, more dependable/tougher (although that is really debatable these days), not prone to losing their 'zero' and in many places professional hunters insist on their customers having them and knowing how to use them. My .375 Ruger (which was purchased for a 'dream hunt' that never happened - maybe some day still) only has iron sights and it is basically meant for close work, say from 25 to 75 yards with a 100 to 125 yard maximum. I don't intend to ever put a scope on it.

Also, when I teach a new shooter I insist that they learn with iron sights (handguns or rifles, it doesn't matter which) so that they really appreciate what is happening with the relationship of the rifle to the cartridge/bullet. I think it helps, and I think it makes them a better shooter when they do go to a scope. I still have a couple of rifles that only have iron sight on them and I shoot them regularly. A fun way to get into using iron sights is to buy any of the 10 meter target air rifles and use them, and I have two of the Daisy 953's (I believe that is the proper designation, but my memory often fails me) that I take to church shoots and other venues for new shooters and youth to use. They have peep rear sights that you have to look through and round front inserts and many seasoned shooters are amazed how accurate they shoot when they get those two circles properly aligned around the correct size targer bull. You just align circle around circle around circle and if sighted in correctly put pellet on top of pellet! It is a lot of fun.

Take note however that I am somewhat of an old curmudgeon and dinosaur in my own right, and there are a lot of people who would disagree with what I just said. Each to his/her own, and as always - your mileage may vary...

Nice taking to you again Julio,
Jeff
July 10, 2015 03:09PM
Hi Jeff,

I agree. A Peep back sight with a Ghost Ring Front is a superior sight. The eye naturally lines up circles inside of circles. It's extremely accurate.

Good sights are a lot of work to make too. Movable parts that lock down. The correct size and placement if holes. Acouple of hundred dollars worth of work disappears quickly. Open sights are under appreciated. They are part of the art form of Shooting Well.

Gary
July 11, 2015 11:21AM
Hi Jeff,

The name of that shoot was the Erwin Cup. The owner of that place was Bob Erwin. We had a great time, I'll see if I can find a picture from that event. Thanks for confusing me for Pedro and for writing the lines and saying hello. I hope that we meet again on a future Barnes Shoot.

Julio
July 10, 2015 12:02PM
Whoops, gees I'm old... I had just read something that Julio had posted on another topic and contacting him was still in my head. I just noticed that it was "pedrog" that had the open sight question this topic. My apologizes, and may the same 'sermon' (dang I wrote a long post) apply to the needs of pedrog! i hope it helped.
Thanks for the mulligan,
Jeff
July 10, 2015 04:24PM
Hi Gary,
I agree that open sights are under appreciated. Everyone should keep a nice rifle with a good set of iron sights on it for regular practice - even guys our age!

I'm sure the mechanical aspect of making them is indeed a challenge. I always admired the old (I hope I spell this correctly) Schutzen competition rifles and some of the sights that the builders made for them. Like your rifles most of them were generally built by one individual and often each of the sight sets was unique. They were capable of very fine accuracy indeed! I also agree that the use of iron sights is truly an "art form!" We should all work to preserve it.

I have been watching some of the YouTube videos by some of the airgun using young guns. They are enthusiastic and knowledgeable and I was blown away to see their footage where they film the entire kill through a camera clamped to the back of the scope. Some of them never even pick up the gun. They adjust their bipod, and monopod at the butt, and sight entirely through the camera. They laser rangefind the target for distance, adjust their 'mildot' hold and make incredible shots.

I love watching their stuff, and it is evident that they have studied their craft, but I still can't imagine going huntng without even picking up the gun - no matter what sights are on it. I'm sure some of them are also good shots without rests, but the concept of hunting without even lifting/holding the gun is as alien to me as their videos are impressive! Anyone who hasn't seen some of those videos should check them out - with a caution that they often show hunting kill shots that are filmed live. I know that some people don't want to see the actual footage.
July 10, 2015 07:23PM
"Guys OUR AGE?!" What kind of a crack is that??? stunned. I strongly resent being our age. It's a pain. Literally. whistling

Well, regarding the Robo Cop Hunting ... Sounds like using Drones. Guess I better read up to keep up. The Reader. What they need are Robotic Deer. Complete the circle.

I recall shooting one of my Bison Rifles at 200 yards with open sights. A 46 I think. Fellow bought two. I delivered together. One more of a carbine IIRC. I also then posted pics of the second at 200 yards with my 4X shotgun scope. Good group. I bet that was before the forum though. The orig. site is still up but has been on my "to doooo" list forever. I need six more Gary's.

Gary the 1st
July 11, 2015 11:08AM
Nice one . . . definitely has that "Bison-esque" look to it. thumbs up

-- Jim
July 11, 2015 12:31PM
Here's everybody at the Erwin Cup 2005.thumbs up
1.jpg
July 11, 2015 12:56PM
Thank you very much Kent!!!! That was the exact picture I was looking to post.thumbs up
July 11, 2015 04:04PM
Snow in the air and Julio with his Snowman Award! I hope you still have that on your desk Julio! You earned it.

Snowman

grinning smiley

Gary
July 11, 2015 07:52PM
Hey Julio,
My pleasure! That was a fun shoot. I can't believe the date shows 2005... I would have sworn that it was 100 years ago. Nice to see and hear from Cajun Justice too - if I remember correctly he is the one sitting in front with the BIG cup! Gees, a lot of memories there. It's great to see that pic again, Thanks!
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021