Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Handmade?? Precision Fit

Handmade?? Precision Fit
September 21, 2015 07:03PM
image.jpg

When I make this knife, I have to mill (machine away) the material where the Burl wood will be fitted. I have to cut the metal away EXACTLY THE SAME from side to side. If I don't, it would be a glaring mistake and ruin the knife. I then have to cut the Burl, from rough stock, and fit that into the voids I made. And do it EXACTLY. My mills are simple Asian mills from 30+ years ago. They are not CNC operated. This is not done by Pantograph devices. This is hand fitting, using HOMEMADE grinders.

I have to remind you once in awhile. I hear, often, that you just expect perfection and take it for granted. It doesn't come into being that way.

thumbs up

Thanks for reading. I'm finishing this knife as I said. Sanding and polishing. I have two things to avoid. 1). Putting it in MY pocket. 2). Carving the bolsters.
Somebody save me from myself! Haha.
September 21, 2015 08:10PM
image.jpg

Right one sanded, Left one Polished!

Yummmmmm

Gary
September 21, 2015 10:44PM
Nice! Thanks for the pics.
September 24, 2015 03:00AM
Hi Gary,

My hats off to you. Doing all that precise work on older equipment, defiantly shows your experience! Enjoy seeing the knives!

Pedro
September 24, 2015 04:04AM
Hi Pedro,

The Spellcheck helped you like it does me. But this time ... that's EXACTLY how I work with that old equipment. "Defiantly!" With definite defiance!!! Those machines try to try to throw me off, but I hang on with my teeth!

Good to hear from you Pedro. I hope the job and family are very well.

Blessings,
Gary
October 23, 2015 05:49AM
These pieces are goofd indeed . Looks beautiful . You can easiliy put it on gun safe shelf

Good work !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 06:20AM by KevinHarris.
October 23, 2015 02:33PM
Hello Kevin,

Welcome to Rendezvous forum. I hope you enjoy looking around and participating.

As a favor, please note that we have a "Gear Shak" forum, and a "Classified" forum. They would be the appropriate place to make a link to your product.

For now, I'm going to assume that you will not turn every comment into a pointer toward selling gun safes. I'll ask you to please edit your posts. I appreciate it.

There are many topics to explore here. We would enjoy reading your comments. Once again, welcome.

Thanks.
Gary
October 23, 2015 12:21PM
Hey Gary,
I see it is another Apple product. You must be part of their secret asset production lab. Please show us some pictures of what you are working on for the I-Phone 15. Inquiring minds want to knowwinking smiley.
Thanks,
Jeff
October 23, 2015 03:04PM
Hi Jeff,

I assume this post just got lost. My antenna are raised, but I'll assume you posted this ...

Regarding my Apple development lab ... you caught me. It's in my Mission Statement: "..... to actually "use" the existing products which I've previously purchased ... In SPITE of all efforts to Isolate and Render them useless ..... by the needless "improving and upgrading" of all around them." Thank You.

thumbs up

I'm thinking of a Tee Shirt. In bold letters ... It says "Fight Useless Innovation" .... I have a cartoon logo in mind ... But I have to go ....

Thanks Jeff!
Gary
October 24, 2015 02:27PM
Gary,

I want one of those tee shirts. It will be great at a tech conference.

Keith
October 24, 2015 03:06PM
Hi Keith!

Ok ... Here's the image on the front. It's a normal door, in its door jam. However; the door knob has been relocated to the upper corner. You know .... Upgraded ... Innovation at its finest!

Innovate On!

Great to hear from you Kieth!

Gary
October 23, 2015 04:38PM
Yep Garry, you caught me... i seen that there apple logo right there on the polished bolster! I knew you was up ta sumptin! Oh, and from a 'non smart phone' user, I agree. I think that once we got past the dial phone we had gone FAR ENOUGH!!! Lol.
Later,
Jeff
October 24, 2015 12:40AM
Ah!!!!! I'm dense!!!! The Reflection!!

I was thinking this post might have been referring to me getting the Radio streaming thru my old iPhone 4. Haha

Gary
October 24, 2015 12:10AM
Luddites of the world unite?

Presumably via word of mouth, or carrier pigeon, or perhaps that new-fangled "post office" thing...winking smiley
October 24, 2015 09:56AM
Amen Rotorhread, amen!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021