Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Shop Work. Jamie's Completed 50. New Work

Shop Work. Jamie's Completed 50. New Work
October 14, 2015 09:17PM
The 50 Outrider, with all its clamps, stock bolts and washer cups, Logo Plate, recoil pad adjustment, etc. All those non-things that eat up another day.
And, another Mdl 97 underway.

Thanks. take a bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 04:19AM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Re: Shop Work. Completed 50. New Work
October 14, 2015 11:07PM
Sorry Sal ....

Forgot to mention that your Outrider is the main gun on the benches.

That's benches - plural. When that becomes the singular "bench", then I'll shoot it! Green bowing

BTW ... didn't shoot the 50 today. Sorry. Lousy headache. Not a good combination. I'll get it soon. Just had to go feet up for a bit before my head cracked. It helped first thing I thought of was to tell Sal I've been working on his Superchoke! It gave me a headache Sal!! Ha

Dinner - then back to it.

Gary
Sal
October 15, 2015 02:16AM
Oh Gary, I'm sorry I'm causing you pain, it surely is not my intention. Please take your time and enjoy being as creative as you wish excited. You have been pumping out an enormous quantity of work, I hope you find time for a break here and there, maybe even enjoy some of the cooler weather coming.
October 16, 2015 04:21AM
Hi Sal,

Worked on your moderated barrel all day.

Also completed the machining on the intake/reservoir cap

Gary
October 15, 2015 01:24AM
Nice work Gary, thanks for sharing!
Tonight I was showing the site to a friend who is an aeronautical engineer for Gulfstream in Savannah. Turns out his father was a "pioneer in work on micarta" for Westinghouse many, many years ago. He said that he was known as 'the' micarta expert for a very long time. You just never know where a conversation will end up. We discussed phenolic resins a bit too, and he was just amazed at what you find in you tar pits! Teehee.
Enjoyed the site,
Thanks2,
Jeff
October 15, 2015 03:59AM
Hi Jeff,

Well now, that IS quite an interesting connection. Amazing in fact.

Very good work. Were you able to slip in the pictures and my résumé? I can just feel it in my bones. This might be my big chance. Or ... that could just be a touch of arthritis. Hummmmmm. But let's stay positive. Good Work!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 04:10AM by barnespneumatic.
October 15, 2015 09:55AM
Hey Gary,
Yes I was, but I'm sure it's the arthritis! He also said that at one time they were building a particular plane that used birdseye maple for decoration and that they used so much of it that it caused a world wide shortage of the wood for quite some time. Hmm, that goes in a lot of custom front loading rifles, I wonder what it would look like in a model 97...
Have a great day,
Jeff
October 16, 2015 04:17AM
Hi Jeff,

Well, wood on a knife handle is difficult, unless it's an oily exotic wood that does not require a "sealer/finish". Those take a few coats. Need to be steel wooled. Hard to do without messing up bolsters and gumming up the works. So; you use very hard woods or stabalized woods. I just used maple Burl - extremely close to Birdseye Maple. thumbs up
Hey - now that I think of it ... with all the wood freaks, and the hundred dollar discount on that knife ... why is it still here? Huh. winking smiley. I'd have used bone or tusk, but for the wood guys!

Ok ... Let's see what else is here .... thanks Jeff!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 05:10AM by barnespneumatic.
October 15, 2015 10:37PM
Hi Gary,

I hope that you get better soon. The finished Outrider looks beautiful. That's another project crossed from the list. I do admire how you can produce so much beauty without feeling 100% healthy. Most of us, or at least myself need to be feeling right just to find the motivation to accomplish an outstanding job. Thanks for sharing you work with us.

I understand that the rifle is the sum of all its parts. Having said that, I do like the touch of the brass plate. It gives the rifle a special look.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 12:07PM by Julio.
October 16, 2015 04:36AM
Hi Julio,

Thanks much. I'm glad you appreciate it.

I understand what you are saying about feeling well to do good work and get motivated. Can't do that, though. If I waited to feel good, I'd seldom go to the shop. I do tell Kelly on those rare occasions when I feel decent. Seeing me in pain so often really wears on her. So; I share the good when I can, even though it's like one carrot in a 6 quart stew. winking smiley

Fortunately, my work doesn't care how I feel. If I do it correctly, it comes out correctly.

Thanks Julio!

take a bow

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2015 05:07AM by barnespneumatic.
October 16, 2015 09:34AM
Hey Gary.
My pleasure. My friend was amazed at what has happened in the air gun world. Oh, and about that carrot in the stew... Who likes carrots anyway??? Have a nice day and try to enjoy it the best you can.
Later,
Jeff
October 16, 2015 10:03PM
That's a great gun and a really good story Jeff ! It's truly amazing how far the airgun world has come thanks to people like Gary . I have friends that been huntin their whole life and some even own gun shops . I am always excited to recite numbers and show videos of me shooting my Outryder . They mostly don't believe when I say Airgun . All I hafta do is show them a custom slug from my Barnes mold .i even have a couple setting on my desk next to my smoke print . It's a good conversation starter when they say hey I didn't know you shoot black powder . I tell them hey I don't but look at my big bore airgun slugs ! An ounce of lead flinging down range from an Airgun is an awesome thing

PS. Gary Jamie's gun is great but I still like mine best ! Thanks again

Thanks
Kurt
October 16, 2015 10:31PM
Hi Kurt,

Don't tell anyone, but I had shaker of Fairy Dust I sprinkled on yours. Wouldn't ya know, it's on back order now!!! why me. And the price went up again.

Glad you like it Kurt. Best how they start conversations. Funny, if you take it to a range, in a few minutes take a look .... everybody's spotting scope will be on your target. Haha.

thumbs up

Gary
Anonymous User
October 17, 2015 01:52AM
Very stout looking rifle. Is that a shuttle port to load? Someone will have a great time with that.
October 17, 2015 04:26AM
Yes Don,

I call it a "Slide Breech" but I'm sure you have the same mechanism in mind with "Shuttle Port". Works great to load any length up against the rifling at the far end of the breech. It's also the most forgiving for user error in the event someone neglected to close the breech slide. Any breech wash is well in front of the user.

Thanks.
Gary
October 23, 2015 05:52AM
hope that you get better soon. The finished Outrider looks beautiful. That's another project crossed from the list. I do admire how you can produce so much beauty without feeling 100% healthy. gun safe for car

Good work !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 06:21AM by KevinHarris.
October 18, 2015 08:34PM
They work great. thumbs up
October 23, 2015 04:33PM
Hi Gary,

Kevin just copy pasted one of my threads and added the link to "gun safe for car". I'm not sure about Kevin's intentions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2015 08:28PM by Julio.
October 24, 2015 05:49AM
Hello Julio,

Thank you.

JERRY .... KevinHarris. I don't need to know the details ....

How's the family? Good? That's GREAT Jerry. Great.
October 24, 2015 12:14AM
Uh, yeah. Kevins spelling on those links seems a bit suspect as well, I suspect his main intentions might be a bit more commercial than the forum usually allows. Or that he's a robot.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021