Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A good laugh - 7 Perpendicular Lines

A good laugh - 7 Perpendicular Lines
October 28, 2015 01:22AM
An engineer shared this at work with me today. I thought it showed well how managements asks for the impossible and despite your response, proceeds with it anyway or questions you why something cannot be done. Often the final objective is never what the underlining need really was. But you are the expert and better figure it out!

[www.youtube.com]
October 28, 2015 01:36AM
Haha, great video Pedro. I will keep it for my next office strategic workshop.
October 28, 2015 02:06AM
Ah yes ....

I've heard this before:

1). Silent 58 Caliber
2). Over 650 Foot Pounds of Energy
3). 1,000 feet per second
4). 25 shots per fill
5). 5 pound total weight "with" the 3 pound scope
6). In the shape of a kitten

I CAN do anything. I can spell "engineer"

Gary
October 28, 2015 11:20AM
Hi Gary,

And don't forget to paint it red with a blue pen.
October 28, 2015 02:54PM
a Magic Sharpie!

artist
December 03, 2015 11:18AM
Gary,

That gun sounds great but you keep forgetting at least 30 inches of Picatinny Rail on your guns. sigh .. But you still have keep that same weight right?

Larry
Sal
October 28, 2015 03:18AM
I'm showing this to a customer tomorrow, maybe they will get the point.
October 28, 2015 05:38PM
Good luck with that Sal! Our engineers showed the video to me, and they do not realize they are just as bad, lol.
October 28, 2015 08:06PM
Yet another great depiction of why clueless sales people need to be slapped on a regular basis. laughing again

One of the companies I used to fly for had a salesman who would take the spec sheets for each helicopter and mentally cross off all the "OR" parts. The helicopter can EITHER take on lots of fuel and fly a long way, OR it can take minimum fuel and carry lots of cargo, it can't do both. He would just ignore that pesky "OR" part and promise the customers both at the same time. The company won lots of bids that way, since their competitors would submit bids based on actual reality instead of his grossly obvious lies. The pilots would show up at the work site and have to explain that it just doesn't work that way, we always had to be the bad guys. The jobs would always cost way more than the quote of course, so either we'd lose our asses or they would, depending on how the contract was written and who did a better job of bullying their version onto the invoice.

The sales guy would blame it all on the pilots and he'd just keep doing exactly the same thing. In fact, he got bonuses because his sales numbers were "so good"; he got all those contracts after all. Of course, we rarely got any repeat business and word quickly got out that we were an outfit that couldn't be trusted. The customers were generally fine with the quality of the flying work, but the bitter taste of past bait-and-switch tricks would steer them clear unless there literally was no other option. It was a really stressful place to work, and after a while I just got tired of trying to educate the willfully ignorant sales staff AND always having to be the unwelcome voice of reality to the disappointed customers.
October 28, 2015 09:54PM
Sounds like an excuse to me Sean ... Just saying ' ....
wink
October 30, 2015 12:28AM
Oddly enough, I'm still in Alaska but the company isn't in business up here anymore.

Funny how that happens.eye rolling smiley
October 28, 2015 08:50PM
Yep Rotorhead,
I can imagine the frustration that would lead to. I'll bet you glad you aren't there anymore.
Later,
Jeff
December 03, 2015 05:07AM
Nice will have to show this one to my old man lol..
By the way we needed those red lines yesterday!! Hot job!
Matt
December 03, 2015 09:35AM
Matt
All the jobs are hot !!
I've been a production manager/ forman/ cnc op/ programmer / repair guy( just to name a few ) for the same steel fab shop for alota years . There is never enough time to do the job the first time ! But .... There's always time to redo when mistakes are made rushing .
knucklehead

Thanks
Kurt
December 03, 2015 08:54PM
Kurt
You hit the nail on the head lol! You couldn't be more right.. It's always hurry hurry then.... snap broken tap or end mill.. Send the part to the welder for a band aid! Or better yet just remake it.

Matt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021