Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: FIRST FIRE - 25 Outrider Carbine's Action!

FIRST FIRE - 25 Outrider Carbine's Action!
November 04, 2015 06:12AM
The action is almost complete. Stock follows. Sorry, no pics of the action, but here's the FIRST FIRE pics. Was about 10:30pm. I've been working crazy hours, so I ask for a break if I don't have all the numbers and pics.

image.jpeg

First - the First Fire was performed at 2,850 psi. I chose a Beeman Kodiak. I don't have a secure indoor test area with chrono lights yet so no nos. But, even though the barrel is shrouded, my ears are convinced the 30 grain pellet went Super Sonic. My target/backer was three layers of plywood. Clamped in a heavy bench vise. It was 1 1/8" of tough laminations.

image.jpeg

Enter. KaaRACK!!!!!!

image.jpeg

The back. Now, it's my opinion based on experience, that the shock wave moving thru the wood, "Spalled" off the wood on the back.

image.jpeg

The wood no longer laid tight. There was a lump from the pellet, even though it piled up riveting the back of piece one to the front half of thickness two.

image.jpeg

The pellet piled up and started to disintegrate

image.jpeg

The new Slide Breech Cover.

I will find the sweet spots for the rifle. See what ammo it likes. Test it well.

thumbs up

Gonna be a fine rifle Sal. I hope you enjoy it very much.

A few hours of down, then I machine wood.

Gary
November 04, 2015 09:31AM
Hi Gary,

It's so nice to see you test firing a new rifle. So far so good. Sal is going to enjoy shooting this rifle a lot.
November 04, 2015 09:43AM
Way to go !!! It looks like it packed a good wallop . Is the shroud good and quiet? I have never shot one or seen one being shot before that's shrouded .

Thanks
Kurt
November 04, 2015 02:09PM
Hi Kurt,

You can only silence sub-sonic rounds. So; after detuning a bit, it would be quiet.

Gary
November 04, 2015 01:14PM
Sweeet! I can't wait to see the finished rifle...
But probably not as much as Sal!!!
Later,
Jeff
November 04, 2015 02:13PM
Hey Jeff,

Nobody is gonna be more excited to see it finished then ....... ....... me.

Hehe.

Gary
November 04, 2015 03:59PM
Checked it this am. A bit less air in the tank. Was 920 fps. 31.02 grains. 58.31 foot pounds.

I'll be interested to do the testing and tuning. thumbs up

Oh ... BTW - this carbine was targeted to be a back yard gun. Not a magnum. So; we aren't far off.

Gary
November 04, 2015 05:23PM
I understand that!
Sal
November 05, 2015 12:56AM
Looking good Gary, the new breech slide looks even fancier than the first. Make sure there is something left of you for the weekend. Would hate to have your company find a pile of bones when they arrived!
November 05, 2015 05:06AM
Hi Sal,

Yeah, that's a distinct possibility. I am writing from the shop.

Man, it's rained, and rained, and poured, and ... what's the next escalation???? Man. Pairs of animals were shoulder to shoulder, all the way up the lane. So anyway; it's just made everything harder to fit in.

I remember a couple of big shows, where I worked all day, all night, all day again ... then showered and drove to New York. And I won awards. Too stupid tired to properly accept my plaque. But; it's all been worth it to be retired and living the easy lif..... what ....??? Ah. Huh .... Ok, I'm going ...

thumbs up

Gary
Shop Wifi Rocks!!!
Anonymous User
November 05, 2015 01:00AM
Another fine creation. Anticipation on a big bore is patiently awaited. I like to see the cannon.......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021