Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Barnes Hand Forged Cuffs

Barnes Hand Forged Cuffs
November 23, 2015 02:56PM
image.jpeg
Forged Copper Cuff. 1/8" by 3/4" Copper.

image.jpeg
Forged Aluminum Cuff. 1/8" by 3/4" Aluminum

image.jpeg
Barnes Logo Stamp

You know that I often let you into the loop, WHILE things are happening. Thank you for coming along. I have a good feeling about this product. Here are a few of the features I'm building in .... some didn't occur at first, in the excitement of bringing the product to life.

1). The Cuffs will be built in Limited Edition Series. Current thoughts are for 50 "Like" examples of each. Then a change is made, and a new Series continues.

Clarification: My intention, at this time; is to have the individuals exist as "1 of 50". Point being, for marketing, this works better then individual numbers such as #17, #33, etc. example. You click on the site one day. There are 5 Cuffs for sale. If they were individually numbered, who gets #1? Who gets #5? If my intention were to sell these at Gallery Prices, then I could fool with the stress of individual Serial Numbers. However; if I'm making a product which you can afford to give as a gift ... I can't. Anyway, who is going to give away Serial Number 1.

Now, look at the pic of the Barnes Logo. That is brand new. I just made it. Look at the detail in the main Logo of the Sword. Imagine the time involved in cutting that from tool steel. With both in mind, you can see that I would not want to "Retire" that Sword Die unless, .... once again; we were talking "Gallery Prices". We are not. BUT; I can retire that Barnes Logo Stamp for use on Specific Cuffs, and make another.

2). Series of Cuffs may be Wildly Different, or subtly different. Note the Copper and the Aluminum Cuffs. Each is an example of individual Series. Note the background Cuff Texture. That is currently hand forged onto each cuff blank, individually. The patterns are different. Therefore; that makes possible a distinction based upon texture.

3). Sizing. Cuffs will be available in "Large, Extra Large, and Custom". Why not S,M,L ? Do you know any man who wants a "Small" anything? whistling. Me either. Cuffs are Customer Sizable over a surprising bracket. We'll cover this later.

4). I may invoke a limited daily purchase at certain times. It would be a bummer to click on the forum and see that one customer bought ALL of the 5 Cuffs available in this drop. One purpose of the project is to expand the purchasing base of readers.

********** Ok. I know you are waiting for prices. I'm considering what I'm learning as I am completing the prototypes. I need a few more Cuffs first. And, while these Copper Cuffs feel fine to me, they feel heavy when just lifted in the hand. I want to try another size material. Which .... could either be a standard change, or denote a different Series. People will have preferences. For example, the Forged Aluminum is the identical size of material, and yet it feels nearly weightless.

There will be another version, which will feature a Copper Center Panel riveted over an Aluminum Cuff base.

I've also cut the die for a Spartan Battle Helmet. That Icon will Flank the Center Image on some Series.

We will revisit this. Please leave your opinions and suggestions. They will be valued.

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 03:11PM by barnespneumatic.
November 23, 2015 07:46PM
Very nice Gary!

I am sure those will not take long to find customers for!
Love the textures and intricate design of sword under the Greek lettering.

Thanks for sharing your ideas, prototypes and soon products!

Pedro
November 23, 2015 08:25PM
Hey Gary,
Umm, yep, I think you're right about the male size small... But I do know a couple of women who will want and will wear these too. So maybe the small would fit a woman (whatever 'universal' size that may be anyway)?!? Anyway, you know I will be looking forward to seeing them actually go up for sale. I'm looking forward to your pricing!
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
November 23, 2015 09:08PM
Hi Jeff,

I did think about the Small and Med. would suit our Ladies.

Gee ... I was sort of hoping for a bidding war ... winking smiley

No, tell you what stopped me first is that I don't want any orders, even just a "I'll get you a few" casual commitment. I want to keep them fun and everything delivered.

My special order of 3/32" copper sheet is supposed to be here tomorrow. I hope it's the correct match of solid, rigid, and weight.

Back .... Sun is sinking

Gary
November 24, 2015 01:00AM
Ok Gary, I understand. I'll keep an eye out for when you list them!
Thanks,
Jeff
November 23, 2015 11:08PM
Gary

I think these look great and I'd be interested in one - I know my son would love one too

One question - I LOVE the look of copper, but I suspect that copper worn on the wrist would rapidly patina (OK) but possibly also patina one's wrist...unless the copper was lacquered or something.....which would then inhibit BOTH types of patinas - or am I wrong about that?

guessing Aluminum would not have that issue, nor would stainless or titanium....although the last 2 have their own issues including $$
November 24, 2015 03:29PM
Hi Bill,

Everybody loves the look of forged copper. Beside the fact it has a base warm color, it is the "oxide" which is attractive. It causes the "contrasts" in tone. Any metal which developed a natural warm color oxide, will be attractive to the eye, and is comfortable to be around. Even the rust tones of iron, are warm tones.

The opposite of "warm" tones is "cool" tones. The white, blue, silver. Metals which "do not" develop oxides at all, or produce cool tones of oxide, are not as attractive to relax with. Consider: You are worn out. Bone tired. You rise from dinner, and take your porcelain coffee cup, into the marble tiled living room. You settle onto the white leather couch, and set your cup on the chrome and glass coffee table. Fix your gaze on the floor to ceiling glass wall in front of you. It reflects back. The image of a man nearly freezing to death at 74F. Now, Reset: You rise from dinner, and take your thrown mug of coffee into the hickory planked living room. You settle into the brown wool couch, and set your mug on the walnut slab coffee table. You notice the thermostat on the tongue and groove paneling in front of you. 74F. Your eyelids seem heavier, and you are warm and content.

Anything that makes warm oxide will transfer. Only solution is applying clear nail finish (lacquer) to the back. It will wear off. Repeat. aluminum, stainless, titanium, will not stain. They are naturally silver and don't accept dark oxides. They can be heat colored, but that is not totally permanent.

My best solution is a forged copper panel OVER an aluminum underband. That's coming. Stainless would work, but "mass" also factors into the appeal of the cuff. A thick Stsinless band would be quite heavy. And, very difficult to flex to your preferred fit.

Gary
November 23, 2015 11:45PM
Hi Gary,

I do like both of the bracelets. The copper one, in my opinion is the better looking one. Anyway I'll be waiting for you to have them available for selling and then I'll get in touch with you.

Good luck with this new product offering.

Best,

julio
November 24, 2015 09:59AM
Gary those are pieces of art .i really like the second copper hammering style . The pictures really show a different color scheme from one end to the center of the cuff .
When I was in Italy , the company I was training at made and sold cold forges . They had a huge probably ( 48") screw press that spanned 2 floors . It was a production press they made their own parts with out of chunks of metal . I did get to peek in the die room but didn't know really what I was looking at . It takes crazy tonnage to do what you do and also an extremely sharp , crispy die helps too .
Thanks for sharing your progress . It brings back good memories of all punch press I have run and others I've seen and like to run . BTW one of the dies in Italy made birds out of round slab billet chunks of steel that they used in ornimental fence dressing .

Thanks
Kurt
November 24, 2015 02:42PM
Hi Kurt,

I'd have loved to see the tooling you saw on your trip to Italy.

I really enjoy making tooling. I'm amazed what can be made in a relatively simple shop. The whole concept of "Upgrading Accuracy" really intrigued me. The fact that you can make tools more accurate then the tools you made them with, is amazing to me.

I love making the dies and seeing that first pressing.

My Copper is supposed to be in today. Hope it's an early delivery.

Gary

BTW - for everybody waiting. It would be easy to see this project as a "distraction". Look at it more as a triple bypass. In short: The patient dies without an income stream. All of the injury, diagnosis, treatment, meds, and reduced efficiency have all been a dead drain on the wallet. Nobody but me pays the tab. All of that is paid for, before I can work on the Ledger. And remember, the ledger items were income long ago. While I honor every penny, the passage of time brings new bills each month. Just as it does for you. I can't make expenses stop while I catch up. SO; I have strived to come up with a popular product that turns a profit, and can be made in smaller segments of time. A couple of hours in the morning - an hour before closing - a Saturday evening. I have to buy back the time stolen from me by my health.
November 24, 2015 11:57PM
Hey Gary

thanks for the info !

I have one more idea of dubious value more innocent .....since we are talking about Bronze age Greek warriors.....how about a Bronze cuff ?
November 25, 2015 12:42AM
Hi Bill,

I agree. I have thought of that.

As you know, Bronze is brass with 10% Tin. It's generally more brittle. I'm not sure how it would emboss. I'm sure I will try it.

As you also know, it would still have a probably skin reaction.

For readers. The reaction is only from sweaty skin in contact with copper or copper alloys (like brass, nickel silver, bronze). It can/will turn the skin a bit greenish in tint. It's just a stain, not a rash or anything. Thing is - the world is full of copper cuffs, bracelets, and jewelry. I've told pretty well all I know about wearing it. With a coating, such as lacquer or acrylic - it won't produce a stain. Thing is, it's really more effecient to brush a coat inside the cuff. To spray, the edges and top would have to be masked off. Time consuming. You don't really want to spray the top because it's the oxide coloring that makes it really rugged looking. Now .... last idea .....

The oxide is produced during my forging and heat treating. It's all clean and done when I'm finished. I "COULD" spray the ENTIRE CUFF. IN AND OUT. that would initially seal the inside and edged, and it would freeze the outer oxide coloring as I finished it. So, it would be sealed and still look rugged. Only downside is that I cannot guarantee the wear characteristics.

Anybody else have other experience?

Gary
November 25, 2015 02:45AM
Hey Gary,
Ya know, I have worn copper bracelets for 'supposed' arthritis relief, and although I didn't note the relief I noted the green color and I know that it washed off. If I want copper I'll simply choose to wash my wrist as often as I feel it is necessary. Some people may not like that irritation, and would simply prefer a cuff made of another material. It looks like you are working on numerous different offerings so I hope that should suffice to give most people a choice. I wish I knew more about the chemistry involved but I don't. I too, think bronze would be cool, but I know that a lot of those weapons were cast pieces. I don't know how bronze would take to the forging. It sounds like it would be an interesting experiment. Anyway, thanks for asking.
Later,
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 2
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021