Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Status Sat. Nite

Status Sat. Nite
December 06, 2015 06:01AM
Guess a moderate case of the "set back bummers" would be an adequate chart entry.

Glad I'm not in the hospital tonight. Just burnt up that any momentum gets eaten up sooooo miserably soon.

Hah! I sat down to just dutifully peck at my cell phone. What would anyone else do who needs couch rest? TV is three choices. 1). Dripping Horror / horror / occult. 2). We're all fishing from the same gene pool - ain't tat rite Dazy Vern? 3). Or ... "So ya think YOU'RE 7ra$hy!! ... ". And so, I continued the growing pattern of playing "Click!!!!" and sat there. I thought I'd check in here. But you all either had lives or decided I was gonna be dead for several days - might as well .... whistling.

Next, I tried other media I am occasionally driven to for human interaction. And, I found that I no longer exist as myself. Attempting to prove my existence ..... failed.

Next, I figured my screwy email (suffering from a combination of my last incinerated ISP, and the death of my Laptop). And, I found that I do not exist ...... again.

You know ... if it just didn't all happen at once .... I just would look like such an unprepared jerk. But then, WHERE is the fun in that? grinning smiley

Huh? Oh .... I've become aware it's 1am. I'm an hour into my 62nd year. Things go wrong early round here. Better turn in!!!

Well, Happy Trails Bucharoos.
Hope you stop around as time allows
Gary6.2

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2015 09:20AM by barnespneumatic.
December 06, 2015 01:30PM
Gary,

Sorry to hear you're relapsing. Nothing to do but drink fluids (hot tea, coffee sans cream will help), and wait it out. I am amazed that it seems that the more channels I get through my cable box, the less worthwhile programming I find. I watch mostly science and news shows, along with some British shows on PBC. Basically what was available 40 years ago on the pre cable broadcast days. Well, take care and I'll check in again soon.

Karl
December 06, 2015 05:59PM
Hello Karl,

I really appreciate you stopping by. Great to see a friendly face.

I'm amazed that the meds are taking effect. Wish I could get Elves on task that quickly. winking smiley

We'll beat it back. Kelly's on duty.

Hey, regarding TV - I do recall how you could memorize the TV GUIDE from the grocery store, and you were good for the year. And this madness they've come up with now where they play a couple new shows, then next week is a re-run. Then there's a couple more new, then it isn't on at all for three weeks. They come back for two more and it's the season's finale. What???stunned. They do everything possible to keep you off balance. They even have the cute little tricks to screw with you if you record shows. They don't have a logo after commercial eternities. They just burst back into the show. So, you overshoot, rewind back into commercials. Or, they DO have logos for the show, BUT, they are commercials for the show you are already watching. But they stop your scrolling thru the twenty commercials in a row, when you see the logo after eight or ten commercials, and they've stopped you to muddle thru until they burst right into the show - this time without logo. I just have a special hatred for the people who design the deceitful tricks to bite the customers who feed them.

So; what else dobyoubwant to talk about Karl? Haha. I'm under house arrest to enforce rest. I'll be here.

Thanks Karl,
Gary
December 07, 2015 01:59AM
Gary,

As you know I am packing to move a bit South in the Philippines for a job then back to the U.S. if it is still there.

TV? I don't own one here. I have a Large Monitor without a tuner. I use it to watch series on DVD, movies, and American Pickers on DVD.

My computer Monitor is 21 inch not big sitting at my desk that is OK and I watch videos on Aquaponics, farming, composting, and some of my best fun is watching our Britt friends with Airguns shooting rabbits, birds, and most with sub-12 foot-pound guns mostly in .117.

I am very into D.I.Y. night vision and I have rough but working one in PVC but I used the eye piece/monitor off an old broadcast News Camera and mounted that to look through rather than a large screen mounted on the gun. Down side is the recorder. They make DVR recorders for the police and news that are small but I do not have the funds at this time. So I am just looking though mine in test mode. I have proof of concept so I am happy.

It is way too crude in PVC to hunt with but I know once I get back I can make a good one. This test was just to see if I could get the right lens and distance to get a mostly full video. I will bring a few of the lipstick type cams with me. These cams have an on screen menu you can go through and have I.R. on and off. These are HD (Just). They have a basic slowmo and some control over shutter but nothing like a Sony or good cam you see on some night vision. These are just lipstick cams because they are just that size with wires hanging out the back and are NOT plug and play. they come with a 12mm lens but that is not wide enough and I found some China lenses that are 16mm and they seem to fill the screen up much better. But these have NO zoom. I like sticking tiny camcorder on the scope too but wanted to do it the hard way. ha ha

OK Back to packing. I am taking a large ferry with private cabin and the trip takes 23 hours. I am looking forward to it.

Get well Gary, crappy way to party on your Birthday. sigh.

Larry
December 07, 2015 02:27AM
Larry,

Good luck on your move. Profitable business trip!!! Hurry Home.

It appears I'll live. Seeing positive results to the treatments. Still feel weak and exhausted. It all went from "very annoying to red line" in about three days. That put me down still getting sick, now I'm still down while healing. Been some crazy series of dreams. Like a ticker tape of things I know being applied at random. Not deep sleep - but long segments.

Your electronic projects sound intriguing. I'm still dreaming of once again having email, or one of my laptops current, or having my accounts recognize me. Too sick yet to devote limited brain cells to the mess. I miss 1997.

Stay Safe my Friend.
Gary
December 06, 2015 07:23PM
Gary
I feel your pain with the TV things . My wife and I can sit and watch a whole movie and I don't know where my mind goes but .... It leaves while I'm watching and I don't remember anything . I do enjoy it though . I don't expect much so when a great show is on it's really special . My dad used to call it the boob tube until he got older and realized there was some good channels with cable . My 2 sisters and I got him cable for a year since he was anti TV and when he saw the science , history and other informative TV stations he was hooked .
So glad your feeling somewhat human now that the drugs are workin . When you work yourself exhausted like you have in past couple months / skeeter shoot , holidays, and commitments its a toll and takes intervention to recover . Also having the grandkids around ( which is great ) can expose you to those germs and such . Maybe drawing or sketching will keep you on the couch long enough to recoupe .
Can you tell me alittle about the beautiful walrus tusk . Is there the other half with the primative mans wife on it ? I do love the color change as you brought out the best in features of the carving . Has your art work carvings ever been ALL hand made tooling with no electricity? I watch a tv show of a man carving with only hand tools making buttons and such very similar to Tom Orr on mountain men . He's gotta be one of my favorites .

Ok so what was I saying .......

Thanks
Kurt
December 07, 2015 05:59AM
Hi Kurt,

I've started to answer you a few times today ...

Regarding the Fossil Walrus Tooth: it's ancient Ivory. Not a piece of tusk. It's a single tooth - they are Ivory too. I cut them in half to show the beautiful grain, layers or color where it leached in over eons, and polish it like a mirror.

I had been carving the back side of the Ancient Hunter on the other piece, ....... it wasn't popular. Well, the double loincloth came in later ya know .... whistling

Regarding carving tools. I "could" carve with small push chisels but nobody wants to pay for that. At issue is holding the Ivory. You'd have to use pitch to bond it into a suitable carving bowl. Rest the bowl into a leather donut. Then it can be rotated, and take hand pressure on the chisels, and keep your fingers from being run thru with a slip. Takes extremely sharp edges, and small small shavings. Big big time. Not at all like wood to carve.

Now, I use high speed air rotary tools. Carbide burrs. Essentially a dental drill (with modifications). But the extremely fast burr rotation, allows the tooth to be hand held. There is no "thrust pressure" if you use sharp bits. Finer detail is possible. Greater speed. Still, it's a race against people's "perception" of how long they think this should take. The closest they will ever come to seeing this done, would be a time lapse video. Buzz, buzz ... Buzzzzz .... and it's all done. Zap back to real time and let the camera macro focus on the detail. Right, there's the time lapsed 60 year old artist guiding the tool. Perception is that you pop in the image and let the CNC booth router spit them out. As ya know Kurt, people are not taught appreciation for skills taking decades to master. And so, the old guys still have always used the best tools available to them.

There are times it's fun to do more with less, use the old methods - if it's for you and you have the time. You recall that Copper Mask heat shield that covers the front of my forge? Well, I sculpted all the curves, contours, ridges, details; into the copper sheet, with nothing but a ball pean hammer and a pile of sand. thumbs up. Will be fun to get that back on line ASAP.

Thanks for asking!
Gary
December 07, 2015 01:22AM
Hey Kurt,
Gary was telling you about the Boob Tube...
Or, er, kinda something like that.
Maybe?
Jeff
December 07, 2015 02:34AM
Happy Belated Birthday Garytake a bow

Thought I'd show some of the wood I've been working on. This is the piece that doesn't need three more coats.
Skeleton SonF.jpg

Time for a test run. For the superhero fans. Here's Wonder Woman's Kayak. It's transparent (like her plane).
SonF Transparent.jpg

Kyle paddled it about 75 yards before abandoning ship. Shipping plastic is waterproof only so long.

Hope your meds kick in soon!

Kent
December 07, 2015 02:51AM
Hi Kent,

Excellent work!!! That's a magnificent frame. Gonna be Dacron Skin or Moles? winking smiley

You had me going on the transparency cloak. Hope the frame isn't becoming a coral reef now.

I'm improving, thanks.

Thanks for your post!

Gary
December 07, 2015 09:16AM
Hey Kent,

The frame is great. Just a thought and I could be as wrong as Shipping Plastic but I built a dozen or so Greenhouses here and the plastic I get for them is UV safe and we pull it tight on the hoop houses and some are 4 years old and still tight. True they hardly ever hit rocks but several have been abused by trees, broken wires, and a few typhoones and held up.

I am not saying it would work but you can get it pretty thick and even in several colors. I think they would have scraps big enough to cover that boat if the Salvage crew got her back up again. ha ha ..

Just google it and ask for samples.

Great work.

A real bunch of artists here and I grow lettuce. sigh ..

I love Aquaponics I was just kidding.

Be safe,

Larry
December 08, 2015 07:55PM
Salad art is not to be discounted. Yes, it's inherently ephemeral, but it's SO good for you. grinning smiley
December 07, 2015 01:18PM
Nice work kent!
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021