Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gopher Chips - Video

Gopher Chips - Video
April 19, 2009 05:08PM
A glancing shot with a Woodsman Slug nevertheless provided alot of action! Here it is, looped six times. You can see the slug deflecting upwards as it leaves. Gary

April 19, 2009 06:02PM
Gary,
That is an excellent video, I think the glancing blow was actually good luck as it provided more action. I did a frame by frame examination of the video and it turns out the slug is not what you see moving upward off the back... it's a chunk of putty. The slug hardly slowed down at all and continued on its trajectory. If you look at the critters left hand you can just see the streak from the slug as the putty flies off angled slightly upward from the slug's path. Neat stuff and fun to watch.

I really wish we could host these videos on a service with a player that allowed frame by frame scrolling. We lose so much information with the regular players and if I edit the videos to play slow they lose frames... I'm going to have to see about a higher powered editor.

Edit: I've finally gotten 'round to capturing the stills from the video Gary posted.

1.jpg
Here you can see the streak of the inbound slug.

2.jpg
The next frame, just before impact.

3.jpg
Next frame, ouch!

5.jpg
2 frames later. Look at the left "hand." You can see the streak of the slug. It has deflected a bit but you'll see a big chunk of putty in following frames. You can just see some stuff blowing out from the neck here.

6.jpg
The slug is gone but stuff is flying from the neck area.

9.jpg
Here you can see a big chunk of putty flying off that looks like a deflected slug when viewed in motion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2009 02:03AM by Jerry.
April 19, 2009 09:01PM
Superb!
Very nice the way you have looped the video, Saves me having to move my mouse hand!!
April 20, 2009 01:14AM
Here's one of Jim's deadly shots. Not looped, sorry Paul, you'll have to do some clicking!

April 20, 2009 01:51AM
Ohhwwwwllll ... THAT left a mark!!!

eye popping smiley
April 20, 2009 09:17PM
Could of just ASKED him to put the cigarette out!!!rolling happy smiley
April 20, 2009 10:24PM
Poor guy had no idea why we put the blindfold on...
April 21, 2009 12:06AM
The hit creates a big puff of mist out the back. Condensation from heat generated by impact or atomized gopher????
April 21, 2009 01:24AM
Well, I can assure you the cig was not lit and he didn't exhale out the back of his head! eye popping smiley Other than that, I would guess that the impact turned some moisture in the putty to steam. I saw that puff on several hits. Whatever the actual dynamics, it is neat stuff to see!
April 26, 2009 02:56PM
Thats just too cool
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021