Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: THURSDAY MARKETPLACE, DEC. 17th rudolph

THURSDAY MARKETPLACE, DEC. 17th rudolph
December 18, 2015 12:21AM
IF I KNOW YOU - PAY ME IN JANUARY OR FEBRUARY

Brand New Barnes Hand Cut Die - "Misty The Mermaid!"

image.jpeg

With the shown Stainless Steel Handmade Ring top - $45 (if you want that fancy Vine and Leaf top - it's plus $20). Pendant is Forged Aluminum.

image.jpeg

A - E Mermaids. Smaller ones are $40 with the Ring - Vine and Leaf top is plus $20

image.jpeg

Sterling Silver Barnes Repousse' Earrings. $65. (Sterling Wires)

image.jpeg

Three Sterling Brooches. With handmade Sterling Pin and Catch. (see last week's Market for detail pic of back)

image.jpeg

$125. Traditional Brooch

image.jpeg

$125. Tree Brooch

image.jpeg

$125. Tear Drop Brooch

Tell us now - pay us later!

Gary and Kelly

Merry Christmas!!! Snowman
December 18, 2015 01:36AM
Hi Gary,
That is some beautiful art work. Thanks for sharing it. I really like the new mermaid.
Have a great night,
Jeff
December 18, 2015 01:42AM
Thank you Jeff! I appreciate you checking in.

No fishing in the Mermaid Pond now! wink

Gary
Sal
December 18, 2015 02:37AM
Very nice Gary. Just out of curiosity, how many times do you "test stamp" before deciding you are happy with the die, if at all?
December 18, 2015 06:11AM
Hi Sal,

Great question. Sure do test. Especially with Character Subjects. I should make a bigger deal of the fact that these are cut 1 to 1. NO reduction. NO pantograph.

For example: You may know that, when the mint makes dies for a new coin, the MASTER is fashioned from a disc about three feet in diameter (IIRC). It's huge. Easy to sculpt detail. I know they used to use plaster. Once the Artist is satisfied, the disc is sealed. Then transferred to a pantograph. A stylus will trace the disc, as it rotates, and the tool head of the machinery will mill the Master Dies, to actual scale.

In the process of reduction, the end product becomes amazingly crisp. Any tiny discrepancy in the huge original, will be reduced along with all the other details. When I cut a die, it's my hand, guiding a tool, cutting to actual size. One off. Now, hand cut a feminine likeness and face, into hardened tool steel. Do so 1 to 1 scale, and do a mirror image negative void.

On the Mermaid Die, I was very pleased with the first press, but I went in and smoothed the cheek/jaw area with diamond stropping. I also altered my press technique, to alter the halo effect which follows the silhouette of the figure. I have Two Test Prints. Guess I should hold out for Big Bucks on those! Since that state of being can never be duplicated again, as the die was altered after they were pressed.

Thanks for asking Sal,
Gary
Sal
December 18, 2015 02:06PM
Thanks for sharing Gary, there is always so much more "under the hood" and I'm always fascinated by the details.
December 18, 2015 07:14PM
image.jpeg

Never know "what's under the hood", stunned

Haha.

Gary
December 18, 2015 03:08AM
i'll take F please. Maybe alittle delayed but ......
Steve
December 18, 2015 05:52AM
Hi Steve, "F"

Thank you very much! Glad you like them.

Merry Christmas to yours.

Gary
December 18, 2015 06:34AM
Here's an example of the double forged Vine and Leaf top ring (from last week's Hooty Pendants).

image.jpeg

Here's the Forged Sterling Back Pin and Catch, on the backs of the Brooches.

image.jpeg

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2015 06:38AM by barnespneumatic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021