Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Wood Chips and Sawdust for Sal

Wood Chips and Sawdust for Sal
December 30, 2015 01:25AM
Spent a good bit of the day fitting, and early shaping of the stock blank.

I knew the Rifle is for the whole Family to enjoy, Sal. So; I made the stock Ambidextrous. If you don't know anybody left handed Sal, don't tell me. Ha. Used to be 75% of my clients were lefties.

Working on it. thumbs up

Gary
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
December 30, 2015 02:21AM
Nice work Gary, where's the rotary tool???
You just have to love 'real' handmade!
Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
December 30, 2015 04:27AM
Hi Jeff,

Rotary came in after I made a bunch of curled chips.

Sharp tools move material. "Sharpening" is a real serious key to making anything.

Glad you appreciate it.

thumbs up

Gary
Sal
December 30, 2015 10:22AM
Thanks for sharing Gary! I'm going to show the kids the progress, I'm sure they will be psyched.

sorry we are all left brainers self-hammer
December 30, 2015 01:44PM
Duh!!!!!!
December 30, 2015 11:12AM
Hi Gary,

It's nice to see you having some fun at the shop. This one is one step closer to the finish line.

Sal try to be patient (I know it's hard), but at the end you will be surprised by the beauty and functionality of your new air rifle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2015 11:14AM by Julio.
December 30, 2015 02:07PM
Hi Julio,

Thanks. I've been getting in as many hours as possible. Of course, I've been in there during my duty as Santa's helper, but this is different.

Funny how the shop KNOWS when you are trying to push up the production. Half the shop will need maintenance. Air compressor will need condensation drained from the tank. (Oh, BTW .... If I ever meet the guy that designed the tank drain as a small knurled stud back under the bottom of the tank, an inch off the floor .... I hope I'm still able to KICK his buttstock!). Two words engineers ..... "User Friendly".

Ok .... Onward!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2015 02:49PM by barnespneumatic.
December 30, 2015 02:54PM
Gary
A little trick I did to our 60 gal vertical shop compressor is I put a ballvalve on the bottom in place of petcock and welded a extension to the handle . To drain moisture you can just slide it with your foot back and forth .We use it for our plasma arc but even with trap and dryer/ separater and filter you constantly have to drain it . Do kneeling required !

Thanks
Kurt
December 30, 2015 10:36PM
Hi Kurt,

Thanks. Yeah, I can always re-plumb it .... but ... why should I have to? It's just a stupid design. I could give parallel examples - maybe a toaster with no slots in the top ...??? Haha. Just dumb designs that go into manufacturer because the designer is never going to have to use the darned things. And .... I always have to drain the tank when I'm busy, have a headache, and have just sprayed oily water all over something that I simply wanted to blow dust from ... eye rolling smiley

Oh, if I had time to correct all the stupid designs I just grumble through, because fixing them would take up the REST of my life. Haha.

Thanks Kurt,
Gary

And, I don't want to blow that crap all over the floor. The exit is straight down, probably less then an inch off the floor - so - no hoses. Could drain it into a nice pizza pan ... probably what they intended ... and here I am complaining...,
December 30, 2015 12:54PM
Gary

Your work is truly exceptional . I can only imagine whittling out a stock . The symmetry would take forever to get right . I've seen duplicators run and they seem so easy but gouging out by hand individual stocks is a true labor of love . I can't look at my Outryder and NOT think of you hunched over in my favorite position ( not)for hours . The photos really bring a beginning ,middle and end to the project . Tree ~stock !!
I love it and I know Sal will too .

Thanks
Kurt
December 30, 2015 02:40PM
Thanks Kurt!

You know, sometimes a process that looks Old School, isn't as slow as you might imagine. A razor sharp U shaped chisel, will just eat wood. And do so with control and precision. With, against, and across the grain. You, Kurt, will know the time required to "set up" an object for machining. Imagine an object with all the angles and shapes of a stock. You can't just toss it in a mill vise. And, you can't dent, scar, or stain the blank. And so; if you can eliminate the need to set up, turn, set up again, turn, protect, set up again, etc, you have gained a lot of time. Therefore; to whack out the excess wood with these chisels (if you know how) was actually pretty time effective. I never use a technique just to commune with my ancestors, haha.

When possible, I do like to show the progression. Danger is, at the beginning - the customer can be heart sick at just how ugly and clunky a project looks. But, it can't look all smooth and sleek right off the bandsaw. thumbs up

Ok. Back to it. Thanks Kurt!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2015 02:46PM by barnespneumatic.
December 30, 2015 04:38PM
Gary,
The Stock is really taking shape...looks great! It's nice to see the progress of a project documented, it really gives a insight of the steps and time it takes to make it happen.. I've turned some walnut and some laminated wood on the lathe, walnut was much harder but still cut nice. Can imagine doing it by hand must take a lot of practice..like the ambidextrous design. Nice work!

Matt
December 30, 2015 06:35PM
I like that idea with the tank drain modification, wonder if a ball valve would screw onto my little Porter-Cable 'pancake' compressor? Hmmm...

And there's nothing like digging into a nice piece of mahogany with a sharp gouge, it's wonderful stuff to carve. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2015 06:37PM by rotorhead.
December 30, 2015 10:47PM
Hi Rotor.

Sure. 1/4" ball valve most likely. Whatever your reservoir plug is tapped. It will be pipe thread. You can plumb elbows and such. Even put the ball valve out where you can get to it. But then, the extension pipe will be pressurized at all times. Probably less then 150 Psi which ..... is most likely a violation of sixty seven statutes. DON'T DO IT Sean!!!!
December 31, 2015 12:17AM
Sean
Don't listen to Gary , it's 1/8" pipe thread not so easy to find but it works great . And why would it matter if it's pressurized . So is the hose . True enough ours is mounted to floor . But 1/4 turn and your draining fluid .

Thanks
Kurt
December 31, 2015 10:45PM
Nice to see you back on airguns! Hope you are feeling much better!

Wood working is enjoyable but so much to learn just like anything else!

Looking forward to seeing what you build in 2016!

Pedro
January 01, 2016 01:07AM
Thanks Pedro,

Woodworking is "lower back intensive". I got cheated out of my last back injections by that Lung Crud. I'm seriously over due and have been in serious pain. So; I've done some die work. Sitting. "In the Hood" bad dude. So to speak.

Gary
January 01, 2016 01:21AM
Sorry to hear about back pain. I have a lot of trouble with my right shoulder due for a cortisol/cortisone shot. Always forget what's it's called. Hope you can get the injections you need. My wife had 5 injections into her back in late October. She is doing much better but hopefully the next step will be to repair the actual disks from her injuries over the years.

You are in my thoughts, prayers!!

Pedro
January 01, 2016 04:14AM
Thanks Pedro,

Repairing discs is quite a normal process today. Unfortunately, many, many are not successful and/or they don't STAY repaired. Thus, the entire field of pain management and repair. Research well. I'd be quite happy to simply have everything fixed and live happily ever after. I know some sad sad people where it left people hunched over in horrible pain, for life.

My "luck factor" is not something I bet on. Haha.

Hope the New Year is Great for us all!

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021