Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: The Post Holiday Deal bullhorn

The Post Holiday Deal bullhorn
January 05, 2016 03:47PM
Hi everyone. Thanks for reading. I know there is a lot of competition for your time. I appreciate you stopping by.

I wanted to explain, as quickly as I can be thorough, my time spent on the Engraved Cuff Project. Obviously, like you; I must have a paycheck. All those things that robbed my time and health, were paid for. If not, I wouldn't still be here. All that was unplanned. So; just because I'm behind on production, doesn't let me off the hook for current expenses. I've tried quite a few things to make up a steady background flow, while I worked on the ledger.

Decades ago, I taught myself the secrets of Victorian Stamp Art (with its combination of dozens of component steel stamps, struck in metal, to make intricate designs. I've made those stamps for 40 years. I have quite a collection. I next explored the art form of Roller Engraving. That uses either engraved wheels, or die plates pressed between moving rollers. Tremendous pressure wipes the metal into the engraved recesses, as the rolls progress. It is an amazing thing. The detail possible is stunning. Next, having learned to cut negative mirror images, I worked on the art form of direct pressing - or Coining. Using tremendous pressure to press the metal into engraved negatives. These processes required a heavy rolling mill, and very heavy capacity presses. I made these tools.

I used these techniques to make parts for my career as a Custom Knifemaker. However; the degree of usage for all this investment of time and education, was much like using a 6 burner Restaurant quality gas stove to heat water for Ramen Noodles. It was just sitting there, idle, most of the time. It's always worried me that these skills, and this unique tooling, was so under used. I'm determined to use my invested development of these skills, to provide this background stream of income in order for me to work on the rifle work.

Right. It's not like this can all take place without my time and effort. But! This is the closest I've developed to "Multiplying Myself". The Recording Artist spends his time in the Studio, and then his Album Multiplies Himself, for years to come. The time I've invested in my dies, will last many lifetimes. But it requires a skilled technician to use the tooling and produce a finished product.

That's a thumbnail background of the "What and Why". I'll be back later with more discussion and details of a proposal for developing this program.

Now; I have an appointment to eat another pound or so of stock dust! take a bow Thanks for Reading!!
Gary
January 06, 2016 05:18AM
I did a bunch of things today. I didn't get back in with the details of what I was considering this morning. I've discussed the Cuffs with potential buyers today. Not sure how it will shake out. BTW: I did want to explain that I went to the effort to make this complex die set because Roller Engraving provides me more options over the Pressed/Struck type of die I used for King Leonidas' Sword Version of the Molon Labe Slogan.

There are always a dozen ways to make something. Three dozen if I'm involved. I started out considering offering half a dozen options. As I considered what a mess that would become for this price scale, I decided that I'd just standardize it. Perhaps just make some in the heavier copper, occasionally.

Here's a consideration. I really appreciate the few of you who have purchased into the Cuff program. I'd very much like to get some of these around for people to see. So; we are trying to develop that.

Ok. Guess the day is winding down ... Thanks for reading.

Gary
image.jpeg
January 07, 2016 02:26PM
I've got one in the showcase next to some watches. Not much traffic this time of year though and we missed the holiday rush. Need a spokesman to extol the health benefits of wearing a copper bracelet. Not sure what happened to that idea but i remember people going crazy over those copper and magnetic bracelets.
January 07, 2016 03:36PM
Hey that a great idea

The whole tommy copper wear has little copper wires inside the compression wear through the fabric . That's what I hear anyways. I never tried it .
To the magnets I have tried them and they helped me . The concept behind is the magnets attract iron in your blood . The blood promotes healing oxygen to damaged area .

A very weird story at the company I work at , we get a lot of structural steel galvanized instead of paint due to the nature of a chemical plants we supply and their requirements . Every now and again the the Galvanizers skim their tanks to clear out impurities that boil to the top ( metal shavings)I asked them what they did with it after and they said they sell it to a cornflake plant in Battlecreek Michigan . Huh ........
Soooo if you don't already know galvanizing is mostly zinc and zinc and iron are in your blood / body and are good for you . They put it in cereal to boost nutritional value .
Hard to believe it but iron is iron and if you crush up a bowl of cornflakes really fine and mix it with milk or water and put a good magnet on the outside of the bottom of the bowl and flip it over and dump contents out , you will see the iron attracted to the magnet .

Sorry what was the question ?? You all know you're going to try it too .

Thanks
Kurt
January 06, 2016 11:10AM
Hey Gary,
Like I said in that "other post," I'll keep and eye on this to see where it's going one-eyed.
Later,
Jeff
January 06, 2016 03:05PM
It's pretty amazing that it's possible to get this level of detail in a process where you literally make solid metal flow like taffy on a hot day.

When you mention your roller press I've got a mental image of those "penny squisher" novelty / souvenir machines that you see at zoos and museums, the ones where you drop the coins in and crank on the handle until a little potato-chip looking smear of metal drops out of the chute. My son used to insist on cranking the handle on those things whether we'd put coins in or not, he liked working the machine more than the actual souvenir itself. The gears inside are incredibly heavy-duty for something that's hand powered, usually by a kid. Weights
January 07, 2016 03:58AM
Hi Rotor,

You are right. It does move solid metal like putty. The technology will reproduce any mark on the die plate. Those penny machines are the same basic process. Mine's just a little bigger. Hehe.

Glad to hear from you. Seems everybody is still away. Good to see familiar names.

Might as well put in the familiar plea again. If you are here reading, please participate. I've put my heart and soul into this forum. It certainly won't be my fault if it fails. I could not possibly have done one more thing to make it special. I'm told, occasionally; to just stop fighting it and let it die. It's hard to believe that's what you all want, but it's just absurd to watch me stand here like a panhandler so I can keep a place for you to go be entertained. That's getting close to the last thing I'm going to say about it.

Anyway - thanks Sean. Hey, here's a pic of some things I finished today

image.jpeg

Finished shaping and sanding. Have the first coat of stick oil on this one.

image.jpeg

Finished up 2 of the Molon Labe Cuffs. These are what the standard cuffs will be like.

Thanks Sean!
Gary
January 07, 2016 02:41PM
Hi Gary,
I'm looking forward to the Thursday sale. I do hope that you have a couple of skeleton cuff/bracelets in female sizes. I am gonna need two of them!
Thanks much,
Jeff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021