Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Lucky 160 find

Lucky 160 find
January 09, 2016 12:45PM
So the other day I was reading the local news paper adds for sale . The paper has decreased to 3 days a week due to low sales . So on the back page they have a bargain for sale next to the free adds . An add read Crosman 160 with sling and adj. sights for sale . Any ways one of the best airguns of old in my opinion is the Crosman 160 model . I called the number and the guy lived 5 min away . How much more lucky can you get . So I drive over to look at it and the guy about mid 60 yrs old has an immaculate in the box Camp Perry version 160 . He told me how he shot as a 10 yr old at boyscouts shoots at the Hudson dealer that used to be in town where I live . He said it was too powerful for his basement and he was looking at a pistol instead .
Hope you enjoy the hunt and find as much as I do ! They ARE out there .

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
January 09, 2016 01:28PM
Hey Kurt,
That is a fantastic find. Good for you. They just don't get better than that!
Later,
Jeff
January 09, 2016 03:33PM
You lucky boy. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Good for you!! Enjoy.

Gary
January 10, 2016 07:00AM
Well...............how much?

I've owned 2 of those. GREAT little guns.

Lon
January 10, 2016 10:51AM
Hi Lon
The add in the paper said $120 FIRM . A lot of times I'll talk with the person selling and love to hear the backround story . This was one of those no haggle deals and when I saw the box as I walk in his house I said I'll take it for that price .
The book ( for what it's worth ) say $225 in100% plus 20% with box, plus 40% military version with leather sling ,30% for S331 adj peep site and 20% for adj die cast trigger !
So as you probably know its the 3rd variation .
To bad it's snowing out , I'd be out shooting squirlls .

Thanks

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2016 10:57AM by kurt wag.
January 10, 2016 11:12AM
Howdy Matt

The power plant on the rifle is 2 ~CO2 carts, 22 cal and they normally shoot @700 FPS un molested .
They started making them in mid 1950's and changed them at least 3 times up to the late 1960's . This one is a military version they sold under contract to government for training purposes . Crosman also sold them for use by the boyscouts clubs all over . A couple years ago I believe they found a big surplus purchased and stored away and never used . The market was flooded with them for a VERY brief time as they sold fast . In my opinion and others its one of the best solid , accurate shooters you can get made by Crosman . The die cast adjustable trigger is really sweet too .

Thanks
Kurt
January 10, 2016 08:54PM
Kurt
You got yourself a vary unique air rifle there! Cool it came with the box, sounds like it will hold its value quite well too..ought a make a great squirrel gun!
Matt
January 10, 2016 01:38PM
Hi Kurt,

That's funny that the guy knew so much about it, but didn't know or try for its worth. You sure got a sweet deal there. We should all chip in and let YOU go buy POWERBALL tickets for us!!! Hehe.

Gary
January 10, 2016 02:17PM
Gary
I told him it was a REALLY good deal for me and he could get more for it . He said he looked it up in Internet and he was good . He really wanted to purchase a air pistol for basement shooting . There are only 2 people around ( within 100 miles) that repair airguns and he had it rebuilt within last couple years . Sad to say but Pete Moreau the man who rebuilt it for him just died . He used to charge me extra to watch him repair mine years ago .
I always buy up the old ones ( cheep ) even for parts and some are pretty beat up . It was a great way to learn to fix them up .

Now the lotto thing ..... Your barking up the murphy tree with me . Ive never been very lucky that way but man oh man what I would do with a couple hundred million .
I'll pitch in but you'all don't want meeee to get tickets . Haha brick wall

Thanks
Kurt
January 12, 2016 03:58AM
Kurt,

Great find I am happy for you.

I knew a garage that had a sign on the wall "$25 an hour, $45 an hour if you watch, If you help $100 an hour. I would have paid the Watch fee to see a guy like him or Gary work on Airguns.

I feel sorry the poor squirrels in your area.. NOT!

Enjoy your find.

Larry
January 10, 2016 07:44AM
Looks much nicer then the 760 pump master I had as a kid! How is it powered pre-charged or co2? Looks to be in great shape! Nice find.

Matt
January 10, 2016 01:42PM
I guess it's worth signing up for the newspaper again. Love these stories.
January 10, 2016 02:29PM
Hey watchman
The highlight of my evening is reading the paper . I love the bargain post they run . It's basically a rummage sale of things and I've found lots of neet items .

Thanks
Kurt
January 10, 2016 05:54PM
Kurt,

What a great find. That is my favorite Crossman Airgun by far. It was the inspiration for the qb77/78 rifles that you can still buy today..though they are not nearly as nice.

Karl
January 11, 2016 09:33AM
Hi Karl
Anything nice it always worth copying . I have heard a lot about the QB's but never owned one . I was really suprised to land in this one 5 min away from my house . The man had it in the paper for a couple weeks and I can't believe I didn't see it sooner .
Nice hearing from you .

Thanks
Kurt
January 11, 2016 10:46AM
You are the Master Classified Hunter, Kurt! Although ... now you are faced with keeping the box in Pristine condition! Uh oh. Haha. Enjoy.

Gary
January 12, 2016 05:06PM
Hi Kurt,

That truly is a neat find! I think you got a good deal as it still came with original box!

Thanks for sharing.

Pedro
January 29, 2016 05:12PM
I never have understood the fascination with the whole "original box" thing when it comes to firearms. Sure, I suppose that a $2.00 toy from fifty years ago might have more novelty value with the packaging, but a gun? The art is in the item, not a flimsy piece of cardboard.
January 29, 2016 05:34PM
Sean
I kinda think like this ... If the box is there to protect it in the begining and it's the initial draw you in pics that they used for marketing , the guy who got it REALLY took good care of the gun if the box is in tact . Sometimes the price tag is pretty cool to see also . Sure you can look up all that crap on interweb but when it right in front of you , you can remember seeing it in a catalog and wanting it . Some kids were lucky and others probably got it taken away from dad or mom and hide it away in attic never to be found till years later !

Thanks
Kurt
January 30, 2016 01:32AM
I'm sure all those "Christmas Story" memories are fun to review. My cousin and I must have shot a dump truck full of BBs thru several guns!
February 04, 2016 12:46PM
What a find!!! that is just awesome!!! enjoy it!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021