Advanced

Re: Tuned this Carbine ......

Tuned this Carbine ......
February 05, 2016 06:26PM
..... all the WAY DOWN to ....

image.jpeg

With Beeman Kodiaks!!!

Yayyyyy ....,

Well ..... stunned. Nope .... 54 foot pounds in Sal's backyard won't do it. But, I've tuned it down twice. Haha. I remember early on trying to get to 50 foot pounds with 45 caliber. This is 25 with a darned pellet, and I can't get it tamed .... Haha

Ok .... I'll keep at it .... thumbs up. Maybe I'll tie a knot in the barrel ... Another idea!

Gary

I've got this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2016 07:53PM by barnespneumatic.
February 05, 2016 09:24PM
Choke it down a bit? You could do a squeeze-bore muzzle attachment; on firing it'd swage the pellets down to about 2 mm or so. As they leave the muzzle, they'd be converted from .25 cal Kodiaks into inch-long lead needles. That ought to take a bit of energy out of the equation, though you'd need double hearing protection since the muzzle blast would sound like a giant dog whistle. self-hammer

No need to thank me, this kind of genius idea just comes naturally.take a bow
February 05, 2016 10:06PM
No, no .... I really want to thank you ..., personally. I'm on my way ......
February 05, 2016 10:59PM
Wow Gary,
That is the reverse problem that most of the airgunners I know have! What a problem to have, huh? Lucky man Sal.
Good luck with it,
Jeff
February 06, 2016 09:57AM
900 with kodiaks? sounds like a good backyard shooter to me, but i am a firm believer in excess, and i live in the sticks!!!!!!! LOL winking smiley
February 06, 2016 11:45AM
Gary

Sal needs a bigger back yard !
How far do you plan on going ? Are you looking for a number or a sound or both ?

Thanks
Kurt
February 06, 2016 12:03PM
Hi Gary,

What is the maximum fpe that you could get from Sal's carbine?
February 07, 2016 12:00AM
Don't Know Julio. I've been going in the other direction.

You recall that Kyle's little 25 caliber shot 125 fpe plus IIRC. I'd have to look it up.

Gary
Sal
February 06, 2016 04:53PM
A knot in the barrel! Is that a Black Diamond option? Honestly it's more important that it's quiet, 800-900 fps should be ok Gary. I attached a picture of what's out back for reference smiling smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2016 04:54PM by Sal.
image.jpeg
February 06, 2016 11:56PM
Hi Sal,

Yeah.

There's probably a reason I've never made Carbine's. Especially moderated Carbine's. Physics says you need as much length in front of the actual muzzle as possible. "Carbine" says you barely have room for decent barrel length, and really don't have extra room beyond the muzzle (back inside the moderator). A PCP only develops power with barrel length OR a huge burst of extra air upon firing. You don't have barrel length, so you have to have a strong firing puff. That means a large volume of air to quiet.

Another method to quiet is a huge diameter moderator to handle big air. That gets to looking .... Huge.

I targeted some numbers. Made parts and altered drawings to make a moderated carbine in 25. For 20 years everybody has been asking how much you can get out of a given gun size. Haha. This is a great gun but so far it started out super sonic (which you cannot moderate) then .... tuned down .... it's still not as quiet as I know you want. So; this is where I can occasionally end up when I say "Sure ..." Haha.

So; I need to think and more then likely make new parts. Very fine rifle. Not to spec. yet. I usually hit my projections well, but I'm usually projecting in the other direction. take a bow

Gary
Sal
February 07, 2016 11:46AM
Sorry Gary, ignorance on my part for asking for a moderated carbine. I won't be upset if things change, physics are physics, please don't resort to some kind of black magic or killing yourself to make things work that shouldn't. If it ends up longer than a regular carbine I'm fine with that, I know it may not be that simple, I trust your judgement. smiling smiley
February 09, 2016 01:55AM
Hi Sal.

Just found your note. Hey - don't feel bad. We shall get closer then we are now. No problem to need what you need. If the guy says he can do it, then you are good. But this barrel and moderator are a bonded set .... So, I might just end up with a barrel/moderator in stock. Still have to think. I've been doing six other things too.

Hey - folks didn't catch that word "wet" as applies to that woods. Ha. I'll bet the words Yaupon Holly also apply.

Ok. Been a busy day. I need coffee.

Gary
February 08, 2016 10:53PM
Hey sal,

That wooded area looks pretty sweet looks like a lot of land back their! Plenty of room for some air rifles, also I wonder if theirs any good fish in that pond back there. Vary nice area.
Matt
February 06, 2016 09:13PM
Sal
The back round area looks like good hunting but the houses are kinda close . Maybe a bark kibble fence ( like Garys ) on each side would help with the noise . I've got the same set up in my hood . The neighbors are cool to me occasionally shooting but it's good to keep the peace too . Bet your getting excited too .

Thanks
Kurt
February 07, 2016 05:07AM
Hey Sal,
I wanna live there. It looks like some fun space to explore - especially with a rifle on your shoulder! I know, like Kurt said, that you are getting excited. Hang in there, Gary will only send it on when it is perfect smiling smiley
Later,
Jeff
Sal
February 07, 2016 12:10PM
Hey guys, yes I really like the area, plenty of space out back. Only trouble is I can only explore during the dry season sad smiley I'm planning on adding some small walkways at some point so I can walk in 20-30 yards and setup a nice little range just past the swampy area out of site. We moved a bit over two years ago, I haven't been able to shoot out back for 13 years because at the last place the houses were on top of each other. It is soooooooo nice to be able to shoot again.

Here is the old place, I tried shooting once down the side along a fence into a trap.... the police arrived within 20 minutes, lol.
image.jpeg
February 07, 2016 07:02PM
Yep, Sal, I'd say that is a big improvement! Good on ya. Good idea on the walkways too.
Good luck,
Jeff
February 08, 2016 07:30PM
The traditional answer would be to increase the projectile weight if you're trying to slow down. If the goal is to use commercial .25 pellets the options at the heavy end aren't always as accurate as the more mainstream pellets, but there's also the Sure Fire Casting (Jerry/Tim) heavies. Not as inexpensive as the tin pellets of course, but I can attest to the fact that they make a good product. If range safety is more of a concern, you do have to be aware that the heavier pellets do carry more energy, sometimes quite a bit more.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here with Gary in the house answering questions on this issue, but PCP airguns aren't always totally predictable as far as the relationship between velocity and projectile weight goes. Other factors such as bore vs. bullet diameter, the amount of bearing surface engaging the rifling, the alloy of the bullet/pellet, even how the projectile is loaded can affect velocity, and this is just for the projectiles. When you start factoring in valve design, hammer weight, spring weight, hammer friction, spring friction, fill pressure, etc. it's actually pretty amazing that we can get any consistency at all, let alone the amazing accuracy that we routinely see from Garys rifles.

The bottom photo looks a lot like a friends neighborhood we just visited near Tampa, Florida, everyone there had a covered pool in the backyard. It would have been impossible to find a good place to shoot there, since the houses were stacked on top of each other like dominoes. The new place ought to be way easier to find a quiet, safe spot to shoot. It's surprising how quickly the woods will attenuate noise, but it's probably still prudent to try and find a way to shoot sub-sonic if you can.
February 09, 2016 04:28AM
Hi Rotor

Reading thru your post here, I've decided it's Nutz to try and "build" airguns from scratch! What an absurd variety of variables! Phew!!!! Gives me a headache.

I think I'll get into something simple, like writing Aps for Drones .....

LOL!
February 09, 2016 03:55PM
Or...drones with airguns!assimilate
February 10, 2016 02:38AM
Wait!!!!! Weaponized Drones!!!!! nowthatIthink

Nah ............... stunned

That's just silly ......,

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021