Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Hunkered Down

Hunkered Down
February 24, 2016 01:34AM
Big Storms came thru diagonally S to E and are just starting to get here. We had warnings. Kelly packed a kit and Her and Fritz are here with me in the Studio. This is a steel frame building with tie rods in the concrete pad, to the center of the earth. The way it's starting to sound, we will need it. Tornado threats here! I hate heavy winds.

Sal, if I go out working on your Moderator, you add on a few bucks for the resale. take a bow

A prayer would be appreciated.

Gary, Kelly, Fritz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2016 01:37AM by barnespneumatic.
February 24, 2016 09:36AM
Gary
That wind is scary stuff . I saw the weather radar was eating up the fla panhandle . Hope those hurricane straps do the trick and there no major tree damage too.

We're supposed to get 8-12" of the white stuff . I'll take that over wind ANY day . We had a blow come thru last week with 60 mph gusts that got scary . My old windows were rattling .

God bless and good luck .

Thanks
Kurt
February 24, 2016 03:12PM
Hi Kurt,

Thank you very much.

Was a pretty good storm. Huge rain. Moderate winds.

More snow for you. Do you use that nice clean tractor for that or do you have a beater for the yucky jobs? smiling smiley. Your good one is too pretty.

Thanks again. We now have a night in the studio on the record. Hey - do I get paid overtime for that?

Gary
February 25, 2016 04:28PM
Gary

The tractor has Power steering, power angle blade ,4 wheel drive, high & low beams and diesel , that's my go to tool of choice . It even has a horn so when I beep my wife comes out to move her car . It's still pretty clean but not quite parade ready for an 1986 !
I think the forcast was alittle off to more like 14" . It looks like a hallmark card the way the snow sticks to trees . I STILL enjoy it .self-hammer
The flag pole I made is 55-0" tall and the wind is blowin @ 37-40 mph . Nothing like Florida but still pretty blizzardy when you add frozen water to the mix.

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2016 04:39PM by kurt wag.
image.jpg
image.jpg
February 25, 2016 05:54PM
Hi Kurt,

It's real pretty ...., (from here).

Burrrrr. Makes my bones ache looking at it too long though.

Gary
February 25, 2016 10:21PM
Still looking pretty wintery up there Kurt, we're bare ground up here with the tulips already pushing up...it's weird.
February 26, 2016 01:09PM
Sean
It's a big storm that blew thru . The same storm Gary and others experienced . It's supposed to be 54 deg Saturday ! We also had tulips popin thru but I'm sure they are scared now ! The Great Lakes are mostly melted now but they're still ice fishin perch and walleye a couple miles out on the bay .
That cold Canadian air mixed up with the warm gulf air and it was pretty typical .

The only bummer is we don't get snow day pay at work . Hehe unlike Gary who Hasta hunker down next to the Atlas lathe !! Might as well keep working .

Thanks
Kurt
February 26, 2016 02:15PM
Hi Kurt,

See, you have your own world in there with 13 acres under roof. Haha.

Hey, do you ever have to clear snow off your shop roof?

In Md., we'd get these storms every couple years that would dump
Three feet - or more - all in one snow. That's some weight.

Gary
February 26, 2016 05:56PM
Gary
No we haven't had to do any snow removal off the roof . It's a standing seam with a 20 ft rise over 75 ft width . It's quite the event when it comes sliding off though !
I do have to rake the snow off my roof at home . If I get the bottom 5-6 foot at eves I'm usually good . Gee thanks for reminding me too . I got a new aluminum snow rake too and now that juniors off to College it's back on MY list .

Thanks
Kurt
February 26, 2016 07:06PM
Shoveling snow off a roof is a special kind of miserable, isn't it? Not only is it really hard work, there's always the possibility of falling on to the hard-packed pile you just dumped from above. Our place up north has an asphalt shingle roof so the snow doesn't slide off like it would with a metal roof. When five or six feet stack up the weight becomes an issue, especially when the weather changes and it starts to rain. The snow is heavy enough by itself, but when it soaks up a few days of rain it becomes a real concern.

At least you don't have to worry about THAT anymore, Gary.
February 26, 2016 07:13PM
Shoveling snow off a roof is a special kind of miserable, isn't it? Not only is it really hard work, there's always the possibility of falling on to the hard-packed pile you just dumped from above. Our place up north has an asphalt shingle roof so the snow doesn't slide off like it would with a metal roof. When five or six feet stack up the weight becomes an issue, especially when the weather changes and it starts to rain. The snow is heavy enough by itself, but when it soaks up a few days of rain it becomes a real concern.

At least you don't have to worry about THAT anymore, Gary. thumbs up

Just the hurricanes, and thunderstorms, and tornadoes, and flooding, and falling trees, and plagues of mosquitoes, and alligators, and snakes, and...scared
February 26, 2016 05:28PM
Looks like my backyard. It has been much to warm up here for February.

Saw on the news last night east coast got dumped on again!

Hope things are good.

Pedro
February 24, 2016 10:24AM
Hi Gary,

You and Kelly are in our prayers. Nature has a very weird way of showing to us that we are just a very small part of a huge system.
February 24, 2016 03:05PM
Thank you Julio,

We are safe.

We spent the night in the studio. Boy, we sure got some rain. This morning we checked things. Lots of evidence of torrents of water. No trees down that we saw. Can't hardly imagine that.

Thank you for your prayers. They worked.

Gary
February 24, 2016 05:28PM
Glad to hear you and Kelly are safe. I hate nasty weather like that! Least you had a strong building, anchored to the center of earth!

My parents lost the farm when we lived in Eastern Mexico due to a hurricane (1977). Reason why we immigrated to Canada, he didn't want to start over in Mexico.

Pedro
February 24, 2016 08:37PM
Thanks Pedro,

I hope your father saw his rebuild bear fruit.

Yes, lives change from one day to the next, with nature and unexpected drama. I haven't yet made a paranoid fear of storms a part of my daily schedule. I guess it's fortunate that others often warn me. I do have the alerts on my phone, and Kelly does keep better track then me. I haven't gotten used to living in the sub tropics.

Thanks!
Gary
February 24, 2016 04:12PM
Gary,

Relieved to see that you made it through the storm safely. We just caught a portion of the wind and rain. From the pictures I've seen, it was a really dangerous storm.

Karl
February 24, 2016 08:44PM
Thanks Karl,

Had a friend here warn us. Kelly had already prepared in the afternoon.

Our friend showed her storm closet all equipped. We are fortunate to have the Studio with its full home capacities. That was the huge draw for this property. Florida sees it as, and records it as a second home. With all our pine trees, there is a danger from them. Cutting everything within 80 feet of every structure would really kill the mood of the property though.

Glad you are all safe Karl!
Best,
Gary
February 24, 2016 08:53PM
Gary
I think you have a great little storm getaway there . Kinda like going to a motel . Hehe plus there's a elevation difference too that would help protect alittle also . It can be SCARRY down south

Bout the overtime .... Only if you kept working AFTER you get your 40 hrs in too!

Thanks
Kurt
February 24, 2016 11:18PM
Sorry you had to deal with that storm, but I'm glad you are all safe!
Jeff
Sal
February 25, 2016 01:59PM
Yikes! I drove up to Jacksonville Tuesday night and had no idea this was happening in the panhandle. I'm very happy you went unscathed.
February 25, 2016 02:45PM
Thanks Sal.

Boy, the water projects were tested. Did ok but for erosion in the driveway to the shop and undercutting in the driveway. Relentless

Gary
February 25, 2016 03:21PM
Last time we were down in Tampa we caught the edge of a storm that kicked out a couple small tornadoes, we happened to be driving at the time. The rain was so heavy that even the truckers were driving 15 miles an hour on the highway, and even on high the windshield wipers couldn't hope to keep up with the torrents of water that were falling from the sky.Help! When you're on the freeway in a situation like that you don't really want to go on driving since the visibility is so poor, but you're afraid to pull over since you don't want to get rear-ended by someone who can't see you stopped. If there's no exits I suppose the best thing to do is what ended up happening in our case. Everyone just slows down more and more until you're crawling along in first gear, trying to keep an eye on the car in front and hoping that they guy behind doesn't run into you. We drove like this for perhaps a mile or so and the rain tapered off and eventually stopped. Two miles later we were in the sun again on dry roads, like nothing had happened. sunny

Up here we get a lot of rain but it tends to be a lot less dramatic, it just rains moderately but continually for days or weeks on end. I've never seen the kind of downpour up here like we saw in Florida. I'm glad to hear that everything turned out OK, those big thunderstorms are an awesome thing to behold, but scary.
February 26, 2016 02:10PM
Hi Sean,

Sounds like you experienced a little shower there. We natives hardly notice those anymore. It's the rain storms that float buildings off their foundations that are a nusiance.

Yeah, ya just hit the emergency flashers and keep on driving. thumbs up

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021