Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Ssssshhhhhhhuuhhh!!!!!

Ssssshhhhhhhuuhhh!!!!!
February 24, 2016 08:32PM
I just test fired your new shrouded barrel, Sal. The rifle is now "Exceptionally Quiet!" I'd say silent except that a steel rebounding hammer striking a steel firing pin, has to make some noise. To my mind, it sounds like gently closing a garden gate latch. There is absolutely no "gun" associated noise. If you have a neighbor's house 20 feet away, and you want to shoot target at midnight .... No problem. Just have a silent target too! Haha.

image.jpeg

I haven't made the front barrel clamp. Have to finish cosmetics. Yeah, I know; it's never done. Believe me, I know.

image.jpeg

Easy and smooth slide.

image.jpeg

Looks very nicely finished.

Btw, the hammer is very, very easy to cock. Trigger is great. This rifle is worth quite a bit. I love it.

I know, you want it tonight. Please let me Also take care of other things on the boil. Thanks Sal!

Gary
February 24, 2016 08:49PM
Sweet
Maybe one of those Riggs will screw on my Outryder too!
I did hear if you hang a bunch of tires on an old swingset and shoot through them it works just like a silencer ! You might have to decorate it up alittle .hehe

Thanks
Kurt
February 24, 2016 11:53PM
Gary,

Congratulations for achieving the desired results on your second attempt. The rifle looks stout and robust.I like it and I'm pretty sure that Sal and his sons will love it.thumbs up
February 25, 2016 12:23AM
That is a vary nice lead throwing machine you made there!! Really like the look of the shrouded barrel! I'm sure it will get a lot of good use... Nicely done!
Matt
February 25, 2016 02:35AM
Gary,

Very nice! Sal must be chomping at the bit to get his hands on it.

Karl
Sal
February 25, 2016 01:56PM
Yipeeeeeee, where are the fireworks and parade?! Oh that's just in my head. Super super super. The breech looks like a completely different design, fantastic. Of course I want it right now, but I have no problem at all with you taking care of whatever needs to be taken care of. I just wish I would have seen this post yesterday, I feel like I missed out on the breaking news. Can't wait to shoot it and share it the next time we get together!
February 25, 2016 02:28PM
Ah, gee Sal .... We thought you didn't want it anymore. Kurt offered me fifteen dollars for it .... ........
Haha.

Nah. It's still fresh. You just made it. winking smiley

It really is fine. Yes, needed the whole new Shebangg. The other unit threaded off and went on the shelf.

I'll get there. It will be great to see it in action at another invitational shoot thumbs up. All scoped out and dialed in.

Gary
February 25, 2016 03:01PM
Wow, that slide breech looks massive on a .25 barrel, almost like part of an artillery piece.eye popping smiley It ought to feel really nice to manipulate; it reminds me of those ergonomic grips they put on kitchen tools these days. The fact that it's super-quiet and not super-powered really opens up opportunities as far as places to go shooting,

I know this topic has been discussed before, but it's worth reminding potential future owners that sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for. Big-bore airguns with a lot of power and energy are really fun to shoot and can do things that more traditional small bore airguns can't (like hunting larger game), but you have to treat them like conventional firearms when it comes to noise and safety issues. My Woodsman is just as loud as a gunpowder rifle with either the .62 or the .308 barrel, hearing protection is definitely required. In fact, the 308 barrel seems louder for some reason, I don't know why. Even with the lightest .308 slugs it generates more foot-pounds of energy than a 22LR, and the heavy .62s are on par with a .357 magnum energy-wise. Since I can't shoot either a .22 or a .357 in my backyard where I live, that means I have to pack it up and haul it to the range like I would with any other firearms. The range is only about half an hours drive away, but it's definitely not as convenient as just toting it out to the backyard for some practice on the spur of the moment.

I think Sal is going to have one sweet backyard plinker to work with, it ought to be be really fun.
February 25, 2016 06:08PM
Gee Sean ....

I can see you as the Sales Director for Harley Davidson .... Haha.

Hey, don't you live in the Final Frontier? I thought you still had shoot outs in the streets ..... Nah .... that's Chicago......
February 25, 2016 10:01PM
Well, yes, I do live in Alaska...in a suburb of the capital city, on a half acre, with neighbors on three sides and a road on the other.sad smiley

I'd have loved to buy a place where you can shoot off the back porch without raising an eyebrow, but around here that means either a much longer commute for my wife or we'd have had to spend at least a half million on the property. In other words, not in the cards.

While it's true that I can catch salmon about a hundred feet from my housewoodsman and that people do hunt ducks on that same waterskeet, the fact remains that repeated gunshots outside of duck season are still something that makes people notice. That, and I'd have to do some serious landscaping to make a safe backstop that would involve digging up and eliminating one of my wifes favorite garden beds. Again...not in the cards. laughing again

As far as the shoot-outs in the street thing goes, we recently had a drive-by here in Juneau. It made the front page, since it has been quite some time since that has happened. For comparison, when I used to fly EMS in Albuquerque, NM we used to respond to shootings quite regularly, and those were only the ones that were far enough out of town that they'd use the helicopter instead of the ground ambulance. It was rare that I'd go a full six-shift work week without picking up someone that had been shot, typically with a little .25 / .32 / .380 auto, virtually all gang-related stuff. You'd think from the hysterical media coverage that it would be a constant blood-bath with AK-47s and assault rifles, but the truth is that those are impossible to conceal so that's not what the gang-bangers use for their typical everyday violence needs.eye rolling smiley

When I did the same kind of work in Anchorage I think I went 18 months without picking up anyone that had been shot. When it finally happened it was some idiot that had accidentally shot himself...with a muzzle loader rifle...eye popping smiley. Don't ask me how he did it, I'm still trying to figure it out, but it sure looked like it hurt. In contrast I picked up at least a dozen people that had been seriously injured by hitting a moose with their car, and one serious bear mauling. Up here the real danger appears to be from ATVs and falling logs, if my job was any indication as to the relative risks involved in being an Alaskan. chainsaw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2016 10:19PM by rotorhead.
February 25, 2016 11:39PM
Well Sean,

Then you are saying it's an "attitude thing". You just didn't want to peel off a half a mil. Well then, perhaps an underground range. Always thought that would be nice and secluded. Even climate controlled up there! And ... somewhat less then half a million. There ya go - always glad to help!

thumbs up

grinning smiley

Gary
February 26, 2016 03:32AM
Underground tunnel...hmmm....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
February 26, 2016 03:54AM
Yeah. Like 16" culvert pipe. A small shed to enter. Open door to a staircase. The floor is like 6' down. There is a shooting bench there. Tunnel in one wall. Pulley target system or ..... Another very small shed/dog house ... At far end as access to the target wall below to post and retrieve targets.
February 26, 2016 10:56AM
Guys
We've got one in town underground . It's really right in a major city and that's the only way the town would let them shoot . Duncans outdoor has 100 yrd and a couple 50's . They used cement culverts and boy oh boy when your upstairs it's loud !

I think you could bury the culvert and not hafta break into perma frost Sean . Sounds like a great plan .

Thanks
Kurt
February 26, 2016 08:15PM
I could see it happening...in a dryer climate. Every time you dig a hole here it fills up with water, sometimes within minutes. If I trenched a deep enough ditch to put in a culvert big enough to shoot through it would make a lot of water at the downhill end. The excavation contractors here learn pretty quickly that you can't just start digging or you'll end up with a pond in short order. You have to begin at the low side and leave a path for the water to escape unless you want to keep a pump running all the time.

Now...if I can somehow combine my next drainage project with a shooting tunnel...hmmm...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021