Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Side Pocket Knives

Side Pocket Knives
February 26, 2016 03:48AM
No - not for playing pool. wink

image.jpeg

This is a group of seven pocket knife sets - blade and springs. I gathered them, and brought them all to the same stage recently. I'll finish them one by one. One is Julio's Roller Engraved Brass Case Folder. Others will have a variety of handle materials. Maybe a few new techniques you haven't seen, or haven't seen in a long time. I'll offer a few. Perhaps you'd enjoy owning one. I wanted you to think about it. They will most likely be in the $300 to $600 range, depending on materials and technique.

Thanks. I'm working on many things at once. Huh ....? Did you ask why? I'm sure that's often asked. There are several reasons: 1). I work on what my body lets me do over a given segment of time. Lower back fatigue, horribly stuff/painful neck, and headaches have been daily companions recently. I change job positions and move around a good bit, trying to get away. 2). I use a change to freshen my mood toward my work. 3). If I finish a phase that's been stressful, I may do another project as a stress relief. 4). Sometimes finishing a short term project gives me satisfaction to continue on the long term projects. 5). Fill in late evening hours after having applied myself all day.

Goal: make the most from the time and conditions.

Thanks for checking in.
Gary
February 26, 2016 02:50PM
Gary,

Hey I'd be interested in one of your pocket knives! I certainly could use a good blade, the few I've owned were made in China and lost sharpness vary quickly...when ever I find my self needing something to cut with, I resort to using my keys haha....not ideal. If you happen to be crafting one closer to the low end of the your price range....I would be a happy owner! Let me know..
Thanks Matt
February 26, 2016 04:01PM
Gary
Those have a lot of work invested in them . Every knife I buy from you I say I'm going to give to my son . This time I really mean it . I'll take one for sure ! Can't wait to see what you have planned .

Was Julio's the vest pocket with the old car whizzing down the road ?

Thanks for sharing !

Thru all the pain you have to listen to your body . It's smart for you to recognize WHAT you can do when symptoms kick in . It's like the lemons/ lemonade thing smoking smiley

Thanks
Kurt
February 26, 2016 05:27PM
Gary,

Sorry to hear about all the head and body aches. Cannot be easy in any regard.

Around hear seems everyone has a cold or flu. 3 in my office, many in other locations and my wife at home been sick all week. Surrounded by viruses!

Nice if you can build a few projects at once, saves on setups etc.

I have been working on a design for my next airgun, Henry design will wait for the fall. I will try to post some pictures this weekend.

Pedro
February 26, 2016 07:20PM
Are these post heat-treatment? What's the red color from?
February 26, 2016 08:50PM
Hi Kurt,

I hope that you are doing well.The pocket knife that you mention, I believe Kent is the one who owns it. That was for sure a beautiful and very detailed piece.

Best,

julio
February 27, 2016 03:19AM
Hi Guys,

Thank you guys. I appreciate the comments. Kurt and Matt, I appreciate the support. That's nice.

I have several interesting things in mind. One reason I decided to work on a grouping.

Today was unique. The Property assessment Lady came driving in to make certain our buildings had not grown.

During the rest of the day, the shop kicked my butt. Toward the end, one of my grinders threw a bearing. The perfect finish. I just locked up and left. However; I'm sure the shop sence my disappointment.

I did remove said bearing, and will replace the bearings or rework around this small diameter contact wheel.

When I move from one product to another, the shop often lags behind a bit. Seems that will be the time, amongst the confusion while the transition hangs .... that will be the time key items hide and machines fail. Keeps things interesting (more then necessary actually).

Thanks again guys. I'll post more pics. Oh - no Sean - that pic was pre grinding or heat treat. Red was layout fluid.

Gary
February 27, 2016 04:24PM
When I took metal shop in high school I always liked the smell of the dykem blue, probably full of dangerous solvents. Same with gasoline back then, I used to work at a gas station after school and on weekends. These days it just stinks, probably the new additives.
February 27, 2016 10:55AM
Hello julio
Hope things are well with you and yours .
I felt like I was driving down an English country road , looking at that knife . I remembered the knife but not sure who got lucky to get it .

Thanks Green bowing

Thanks
Kurt
February 27, 2016 02:25PM
Hi Kurt,

image.jpeg

The knife I think you recall, was an engraving of an Old Mill Scene. I've done two of those.

The scene you recall, was from a pocket case.

image.jpeg

Julio is holding out on you. He has that. thumbs up

I have another couple of those in parts on the bench. I really liked them.

Thanks for remembering!

Gary
February 27, 2016 01:34PM
Gary,

Those knives are going to be great companions for their lucky owners. I am envious.

Karl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021