Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New Knife Work! Pics

New Knife Work! Pics
March 04, 2016 05:25AM
New Projects:

Utility, Kitchen, Camp knives. Stainless. Thin blade. Fully Serrated. Sketer Tusk Handle.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Excellent Food Prep. Knives. The perfect "Mater Knife". 3 3/8" blade. 7" overall. Scary Sharp!!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

White natural bone ready for inlay. Folding knife. I have a couple of folders in the works.

Gary
March 04, 2016 01:00PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks for sharing with us your work. Please give more information on the Food Prep. Knife.

julio
March 04, 2016 03:53PM
Hello Julio!

Thanks for asking.

Hummmmm. More information ...

Well, they are 100% handmade by an old guy in the Florida Pines. They are hand ground. Heat treated by eye and by hand. The Barnes Logo is hand engraved on each. They also carry the Barnes Knives Serial Number. The Old Coot even excavated the Florida Fossilized Misquito Tusk from which the handles are made. Yes indeed, a lot of work when you can buy a kitchen knife at Walmart for six dollars.

However; I've found that the addition of small things that you enjoy seeing, using, and to which you attract pleasant thoughts, will improve an otherwise less then perfect day.

Ok. Now, the price. What makes it barely worth doing for the old guy. Oh .... BTW .... Our Granddaughters ex boyfriend was selling steak knives for a school fund raiser a little while back. To my memory, those were $85 each. And I don't think the kids had made them or hacked a shop out of the Yupon Brush country. Haha. If someone sees the value in my time and would enjoy using a collectible - these are $210. Hey - common, I'm 61, how long can I live? You'll surely beat me and make a fortune on my work. Hehe.

Thanks for asking, Julio. Certainly no obligation for asking. (I'll just starve).

Gary
March 05, 2016 04:50AM
Hey Gary,

Thought I'd ask... What exactly is skeeter tusk? The colors in the material are pretty unique can't say I have ever herd of it... The blade looks like it means business ought to Handel just about anything the kitchen can throw at it! Those bone folders are looking sweet, the inlay process is interesting kind of like welding takes a steady hand...and then some..you don't see that kind of work at your local retailer! Are your blades usually made from 440 stainless? Just wondering we use 440 for parts that require heat treatment applications. I'd imagine a-2 and some d-2 might also be good materials for making blades because of the range of Rockwell you can achieve. Anyhow there looking good...lots of work. I'd still be interested in one... got to be sharp enough to cut 10lb test tho lol... Some times you gotta Change the lure when there not hitten.

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted.
Matt
March 05, 2016 03:07PM
Hello Matt,

Ahhhhh ....... Sketer Tusk. "Fossilized Misquito Tusk" to be exact.

image.jpeg

Excavated from the Tar Pits, here at Barnes Pneumatic South.

image.jpeg

The Florida Misquito has legendary status. Being Ivoryish it's tusks have survived 15,000 years or less. A true wonder of origin. The amazing colors could be the result of minerals leaching into the tusk over thousands of years, but I doubt it.

It's harder then bone. Can be drilled and/or tapped. Polishes to a beautiful shine. I love using it. Thanks for asking!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2016 03:11PM by barnespneumatic.
March 05, 2016 05:11AM
Gary
Those look like a great little tool . I was watchen the TV show the Forge . They had one guy making a serrated blade . He was doing each serrations with a rat file . Tell me you don't do them one at a time . There has to be a better way but..... Drehmel??

So is that tusk dishwasher safe??? Bet you didn't think anyone would ask that ! Ha

Thanks
Kurt
Sal
March 05, 2016 08:14AM
I was going to ask the same thing LOL, then decided against it, I can't own nice things in the kitchen, someone keeps ruining them......
March 05, 2016 03:38PM
Hi Kurt,

Yeah, I use sandpaper wrapped around a dowel .....

Haha. No, an air grinder.

You know, I told Kelly that they should be dishwasher safe ..., and she said - "don't tell them that". Guess she'd know.

I need to get some good maters to slice up. Yummmmmmm

Gary
March 06, 2016 03:24AM
Six dollar Wallymartworld knives go in the dishwasher just fine, but any real chefs knife deserves better treatment than that.
March 05, 2016 09:35AM
Sal
I was a chef for a lot of years . I have some pretty expensive knives and really appreciate quality .. $175 was the last one I bought . . It's a german knife with a wood handle . I always see my wi.... This lady preparing / cutting food on a plate . I don't dare say anything for fear of a argument but it ends up in dishwasher too .. At least my good cleaver has a hole in the end of it and I hang it up on the wall out of reach .

Your not alone !

Thanks
Kurt
March 12, 2016 02:52PM
Kurt,

I know what you mean. I have 2 sets of kitchen knives, a Wustoff set I received as a gift that everyone uses and my various Japanese Knives that I purchased over the years that no one uses...but me. They don't go in the dishwasher . The German knives? I rescue them when I can..but it's a full time job just keeping them sharp.
March 07, 2016 02:36AM
Very nice once again. Just how many misquito tusks are you finding?

Someone should tell that "old guy, old Coot" that he does exceptional work! Might boost his spirits? wink

Have a great week!

Pedro
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021