Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Did it with a Barnes

Did it with a Barnes
April 26, 2016 08:44PM
knuckleheadWell I was cutting some hard plastic airline with Md 97 . I got almost all the way thru and twisted the line to cut last little bit . Yup I was cutting just like a paring knife with my thumb as back support .
Gosh I love these band aids . Still ain't tried superglue yet and of course my hands were covered in grease . Two band aids later and the bleeding stopped . Man it shore made a clean cut .

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
April 27, 2016 12:31AM
Hi Kurt!

Now THAT's what I'm talking about. Sharing. Way to GO Bud!! thumbs up

Isn't it just better with a custom blade?

image.jpeg

Now, on the other hand (get it???), I made a deep cut with one of my Grandfather's wood chistles. I was using it to pop the remnant ring of metal off the shearing die for a 2" Coin.

image.jpeg

I had to make one to put with the Pendant of Misty and the Octopus. Wanted the Frosted Aluminum cause you can REALLY see the detail.

image.jpeg

Now Kurt, you have to keep some Super Glue in the First Aid Kit. You do NOT put the glue IN the wound. You push it closed and dab a drop on top. Then, while its wet, you touch down a paper towel fragment with a toothpick, etc. The paper towel fragment will fuse, and turn into a hard cap. Tear off the edges afterwards. You can then top coat the whole thing with a thin coat of glue. Then you can get it wet, greasy, and scrub it clean without opening the wound. In 2-3 days, it's healed.

I've done it for over 42 years. It won't kill you right away, anyhow. Hehe.

How do you like the detail on that coin? I love to look around it when enlarged. Some of the detail I put in I can only "feel" in directing the tool. I see it later - after pressed!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 12:35AM by barnespneumatic.
April 27, 2016 03:40AM
Kurt,

I thought they'd be Lining up for Barnes Pocketknives after your great post! Go figure! LOL!
April 30, 2016 12:16PM
So Gary
You said something in this post that I stopped on and and wanted to hear more about . You show all these beautiful adornment pieces and mentioned , shearing die ! Now I'm no stranger to punch press / stamping dies . I was in charge of maybe 30-50 dies that would do many functions .ie: punch. Bend ,notch and shear . I even designed a logo stamp on a die that made print pockets that go on the inside door of MANY machines to keep schematics handy .
I would set up and sharpen the dies for others to run for weeks at a time . Shearing dies were incorporated into these multi function ( not progressive) dies . We either feed strips of material into dies to get multiple parts per strip or blanks to get one part at a time .

So nobody mentioned this art work due to the graphic nature of this thread scared but the fact that you made a shearing die intrigued me . Is it a separate die used for a couple of coin and pendants all within the 2" range ?
That in itself would be a hard task let alone lining it up with bottom die and a pre stamped piece ! Now all the dies I maintained and repaired they had guide pins that had a top and bottom die joined as one . The top was spring loaded and had stops to keep the top part( punch) from going to deep into the bottom ( die ) . The shearing part was the hardest to maintain . Can you tell us more about yours ? Also WHY were you using a WOOD chisel as a pry tool . Isn't that what screwdrivers are made for ? angry with "no" sign

Thanks
Kurt
April 30, 2016 03:02PM
Hi Kurt,

I'll start a new thread - so readers aren't passing out on their keyboards from all the blood and guts shown in this thread. Haha.

The waste material surrounding the coin plug, in this shearing set, clings to the male ram portion of the die. I have made a couple brass chistle shaped wedge tools to remove this ring of waste material. To pry them loose. However; I have one press in the lower shop. Another in the Studio. And, it usually works out that these brass tools are in neither place. I'm quite sure they hide and laugh at me.

And so, in a highly trained moment of inspiration, I used a wood chistle. thumbs up

Gary
May 07, 2016 10:11PM
Gary,
That is a beautiful line up of art!
In keeping with the thread though, I'm sorry but I didn't notice any blood on any of the items?!?
Later,
Jeff
April 27, 2016 09:42AM
Gary
Well the aluminum pendants look great . You are right about the detail in the different metal . It brings out a whole new dimension .

As for the thumb well I'm always embarrassed when I bleed . I try to be safe working with all the dangers or potential dangers I'm around on a day to day basis . But like I said earlier , it was a very clean cut . I like to think of it as the dragon jumped off the blade and bit me ! It just happened so fast !

Ps I can only imagine if I had that saw tooth kitchen knife you made . Yikes !!

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 09:51AM by kurt wag.
April 27, 2016 04:02PM
Gonna have to include a small first aid kit with all knife purchases. Of course, this would be the Gary-style first aid kit: a half-used bottle of super glue, a one-inch square of paper towel, and a toothpick. grinning smiley
April 28, 2016 12:24AM
Rotor,

That would be the DELUX Kit!

wink
April 27, 2016 04:27PM
Super glue works rather well. I like the tissue idea Gary shared, try that next time I have an injury!

Pedro
April 29, 2016 02:19AM
Kurt,
Well that's one way to test the sharpness of a Barnes blade. I once herd if you put dirt In it, heals much faster haha, but I like the idea of keeping it clean! My buddy's dad swears by super glue it's all he uses. Hope it heals up well.

Matt
April 29, 2016 03:00AM
Kurt,

Mine is healed. How about yours?

image.jpeg

That was a deep chisel bite. Bleed like a stuck pig. I've just glued the edges if the cap a few times. I've worked in rust, grease, gasoline, lacquer thinner, oxidizing acid .... Then just used hand cleaner with grit - scrubbed. Never has hurt since the glue closed it and it's tight and healed inside now.

Try it. I wouldn't steer ya wrong. See? thumbs up

Gary
April 29, 2016 03:16AM
I once watched an ER doc pour about an ounce of superglue into .45 caliber hole in a mans palm. Wanna guess how it got there?injured
April 29, 2016 12:15PM
Here ya go .
I would say the cut was 3/16" deep into flesh and I always let bleed to to wash out dirt . (The aspirin a day helps )It probably would have been the perfect clean candidate for glue . I'm just usually afraid of sealing in any possible infection . I don't use any ointment usually .
Matt when I was younger and busted a lot of knuckles wrenching , grease and dirt was just part of the game but now I'm alittle more cautious . Like all of us here we count on our hands and fingers for our daily bread .

So Sean was that your left Palm you shot ? ( whistling)
I can imagine you saw a lot being in the military and EMT chopper pilot . So did the .45 blow right thru the hand ? Yikes

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
April 29, 2016 02:32PM
And so ends another Episode of "Show Us Your Scars!!!" Today's Episode was brought to you by "Bandaide Brand Strips" and "Cyanoacrylate". "When Bleeding Out, Just isn't an Option!"

nowthatIthink
April 29, 2016 02:36PM
Kurt,

That 45 hole was Sean's co-pilot. He kept poking Sean to get him to look at stuff. So Sean says, "I told you to keep your hands to yourself!!!"
April 29, 2016 08:45PM
No co-pilot when you're flying most EMS contracts, they're too cheap to pay two pilots when one can do the job. Add in all the off-airport work, night operations, unpredictable weather, and the perceived pressure of knowing that every time you get the call it means that someone usually NEEDS you to go, and the industry has one of the worst accident rates of all helicopter applications, go figure.

In any case, the .45 handy-man got his palm perforation via the time-honored combination; alcohol and an "unloaded" pistol. He was out camping with a buddy and a couple dozen of their best 12 oz friends when said buddy decided to show off his latest toy in a very dramatic fashion. I don't think they're buddies anymore. eye rolling smiley
April 29, 2016 10:33PM
May 01, 2016 04:14AM
yeah, with friends like that...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021