Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: New old Knifes

New old Knifes
April 28, 2016 04:09AM
Gary here are some of my recent and not so recent finds, andy comments on dates ? I can not find anything inscribed on the liners as normally done. (obviously the Parker would not have your date/signature) Did you design for them? I guess several are from your start as see by the early name stamp or engraving. I do like the buckle, all knifes seem to be unused and in mint condition.

Gary L
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1794.JPG
IMG_1794.JPG
IMG_1793.JPG
IMG_1792.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1789.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG
April 28, 2016 04:44AM
Hi Gary,

You have found some very interesting stories there.

Thanks for Posting.

If I bug out here, my phone is about to die.

The first Picture is one of my "Nautilus" design. Boy, this is a long and twisted tail. Note this knife has extruded Titanium Shells that make up each side of the knife. The design has no liners. It's an Exoskeleton design. The blade runs on synthetic inserts. The stainless tool steel spring acts much like s liner lock. This was around 1986 maybe. The knife color on the shells and carving is from anodizing the titanium. Anodize, then carve, then anodize the carving.

Phone is dying. But, I can tell you the second knife is one of the best examples of why I don't show many things. The second knife is a Rip off of my Nautilus. The blade says Bench Made by Tak Fukuda. He's the thief that sold my design to Parker Knives as his own original design. Most of his were trace around copies of mine. The hole placement was identical. This prompted a go around with Parker Cutlery. Everybody but them knew I'd shown my Nautilus knives - I think at the Orlando Guild show either that of Ksnsas City.

Gotta go
April 28, 2016 02:07PM
Gary,

Wow, that sucks. I hope some justice prevailed in this instance. ..though I suspect it didn't. It sometimes disheartens me what people do just for the money.
April 29, 2016 03:14AM
Hi Karl,

I fought forever with Parker. The Guild should have helped me against the Other Guild Member - Fukuta. They weren't interested. One of the reasons I just let my membership in the Guild lapse.

Parker had a bunch of stock. I finally badgered them into a few bucks. For that I gave them the right to sell them as an "Authorized Copy".

My Nautilus name came from the fact that I thought the shape looked like a Sub. I was born in 1954. The first Nuclear Sub was launched in 54 .... Called the Nautilus. Jules Verne's Sub was the Nautilus. My knife had extruded shells of Titanium. I just thought it all fit. I named the model Nautilus. When Parker did the graphics and etched the blades of their Authorized Copies, they put the Nautilus ..... Seashell ..... on it. stunned

What a story for a great knife. At the time if myNautilus Introduction, I was selling my Nautilus for $650 per copy. At a show where I first saw the rip offs, I spotted the knife. Recognized it. But, knew something was wrong. I picked it up. Parker. Designed by Tak Fukuta. I bought it for $50. That sort of screwed the sale of my Nautilus knives.
April 29, 2016 03:20AM
Gary L,

In the realm of Barnes Custom Knives, your bottom two are Ancient. I'd say in the first year. The serial number and date are engraved on the liners inside the case. In good light, maybe with an index card inserted in the blade slot to reflect the light, you can read them.

I'm not sure that those weren't sold in my first group of knives sold.

Make sure you get some from the old man once in a while. Remember - "He ain't dead yet!" Haha. laughing

Thanks for posting Gary! I appreciate it. thumbs up

Gary
April 28, 2016 02:13PM
Gary L
Those are some great finds . Are the bottom 2 knifes wood ? They have a great look to them .
I found a knife of Gary's once and the scales were all cracked . Come to find out from GB , someone had inlaid into his scales after the knife changed hands a few times . I'm glad I didn't get that one . I think I have one with the Barnes ( stamped) on the blade up by pivot pin like yours . Good thing there's only 6 letters in his name or they wouldn't fit on the blade !
Thanks for sharing .

Thanks
Kurt
April 28, 2016 03:36PM
Bottom one is solid (heavy ) brass one up is wood with brass inlays.
Gary L
April 29, 2016 02:20AM
Wow! The top one is a vary unique design, for some reason the shape and color remind me of a p-51 mustang air plane... The other two have a vary natural but simple look too them! Some vary nice blades!

Matt
April 29, 2016 02:44AM
Didn't get a chance to get back. Full day. I'll write some more now ....

Gary
April 29, 2016 03:14AM
Doesn't take a genius to figure out which pressing is the higher quality, that original is a nice looking piece of work.thumbs up The giant phillips-head screw is a particularly graceless touch. knucklehead
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021