Shearing, Raising, Forming dies
April 30, 2016 03:47PM
image.jpeg

Most simple. Shearing Die.

image.jpeg

More complex. Raising Die

image.jpeg

Most Complex. Combination Raising and Compound Shearing Die

Made for the purpose of introducing new dimensions of work to my custom knives, airguns, and jewelry. The second professional Airgun I made had an exoskeleton of aluminum raised from dies which I made. As with too many things I've done, I used the die set once, for that rifle.

To create a domed shape (other then a round profile), flat sheet material must be shaped between male and female dies. For some shapes, the material must be tightly clamped in place, so that the material stretches, and doesn't fold and wrinkle while being shaped.

To produce a "shearing die", you need a die set where the male portion perfectly matches the interior of the female void. When the top male ram is inserted, there shouldn't be any movement detectable between top and bottom.

For use in the most complicated dies I made, I'd first prepare a blank of sheet stock. I'd use texturing dies and my rolling mill to produce a fine texture to the sheet of material. I'd place this into my raising/shearing set. This set would then mold in a domed shape - while keeping a flat rim around the domed shape. Just as the dome reached its full depth, another portion of the die set would engage, and shear in a complex shaped window (or window and second complex shaped design). Some of these dies got very complex, and produced beautiful work.

In reality, since nobody else was doing this type of work, people really didn't have a background to appreciate it. Everybody did the slab bolster / slab handle. So; buyers could tell if one did that better then most. Since I would, from show to show; toss in a complete new dimension of work - buyers were always baffled as to why I didn't just follow the herd. However; the other makers at the conventions, were always the first 50 visitors to see what was new. When you make product that is different from the pack, you have to educate buyers as to what you have done. Why is is complex. If you have just introduced #7 work on the 1-10 scale (and buyers are familiar and satisfied with #4 or 5 work), a great number will be pretty sure you just couldn't do #4. whistling haha. By the time they realize enough of what is involved to produce what you have done, you will probably be dead (or making airguns!). Haha.

I can't explain it more clearly. But; I realize that it MIGHT sound like I'm saying the buyers were dunces. I'M REALLY NOT. I'm honestly saying that it's impossible to educate the entire world of buyers to a new subject each time you show up with something totally new. The guys who do what everybody else does, have the advantage that years and years of education has already been done teaching buyers what to look for. Makers don't have to do a thing so far as telling buyers what to look for. And, if you are business smart - can stand repetitive production - and don't have endless new ideas, then you are good. If you are cursed by new idea after new idea, and find repetitive work ..... ah .... repetitive, then you spend half your time teaching what you have done. So; who's the Smartie? Haha. Probably the guy still making the first thing he ever copied from someone else.

I'll find some pics to go with this. Hope it generates some discussion. thumbs up

Thanks for reading. Thanks more for commenting. Big HUGS for Posting!
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2016 04:44PM by barnespneumatic.
Re: Shearing, Raising, Forming dies
May 01, 2016 02:33AM
Gary,

Hey that's some pretty neat stuff there, I know a lot goes into making those dies work flawless! Even the smallest imperfection can throw the whole set up out of spec! I do punch/die work ALL the time... Wether it's making new ones or re-working old ones... weld/turn/surface/jig grind...etc ..but when it comes to hand engraving dies that brings a whole new dimension to the equation! Not to mention the time it takes to get it right... The time and skill is what separates hand crafted from production in my opinion haha!

I here you on getting new ideas all the time... If you can imagine it you can create it, that thought alone probably has always haunted inventors/craftsmen lol. I Just finished building a metal lathe from pretty much scratch, and it seems like every time about half way thru the build you start dreaming up another project. It Never ends!

Some nice patterns you got on that sheet metal! we had a rolling mill in shop class but did not have any textured dies for it. Some Nice work You've made indeed!!

Matt
May 01, 2016 02:43AM
Gary, Here's a couple of finished examples that go well together.

Knife and Case.jpg

Now if Mikhail Kalashnikov had seen some of your work before stamping out that rifle in 1947, it might not have been so butt ugly!shooter

Thanks for showing the makers work.

Kent
May 01, 2016 04:36AM
Hi Kent,

Great picture!

Thanks much. bowing -- Far East.

I really did like that knife when I made it. Oddly, I made one of those and one smaller version in brass. That really does look nice with that pocket case.

Gary
May 01, 2016 04:08AM
THERE you go Gary, just start making ornate stamped AK receivers! I'm sure there's no paperwork involved...whistling

In actuality, you CAN produce "flats" without registering as a manufacturer, it's only when they are bent into shape and finished that they officially become a firearms receiver. The problem, of course, is that everyone else is selling them for twenty five bucks, not much profit margin in that unless you make them by the truckload.
May 01, 2016 04:32AM
Ah Sean, you have burst yet another dream I had, of making tens of thousands of AK kit parts. You ARE trying to make me cry, I see that now.

winking smiley
May 01, 2016 12:48PM
Gary
It is really a labor of love putting all that work into a tool and that's not even considering the design factor of the final product but just the tool to make the final product . Not only does it suprise me that your using the pressing / stamping in your preparation of the final product but the self taught factor and ability to succeed in each endeavor .
I really enjoy seeing and hearing about it thanks .

Thanks
Kurt
May 01, 2016 02:30PM
Well give Gary an idea and he runs with it! Here's his first rendition of Jihadi Gaudy. Just a few more square inches to cover and it will be ready for the next Jihadi wanna be, Saudi prince.

AK.jpg

That oil money should come rolling in now!

Kent
May 01, 2016 03:29PM
I'm speec...... ...... ....... ... ..

I got nothing .....
May 05, 2016 10:46PM
I shoulda guessed...hey, while we're at it, why not gold plated? Too much? Nah...
May 05, 2016 11:38PM
I used to Gold Plate. Very Heavily. I also Acid Etch you recall.

One night, when reading art books at 2:30 am, in bed .... I read what happens when the Arsenic in solution in plating chemicals comes into contact with acid. Has something to do with the Smell of Peaches being the last smell you are aware of before you get all your questions answered regarding eternal life.

For literally years, upon years, I had engraved with plating solutions and acid etching JARS side by side on my work bench. A very white faced craftsman approached the workshop and second floor engraving bench with newfound care, at 3am.

Gary
May 17, 2016 12:34AM
So basically you're really, REALLY lucky your cat didn't knock those two jars off the shelf while you were sleeping. Yikes...surprised
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021