Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Well, since NOBODY else did any shooting this past weekend...

Well, since NOBODY else did any shooting this past weekend...
April 28, 2009 11:11PM
I figured I would post some footage of Timmy shooting. I've been tied up with getting a new heat pump and also trying to figure out how wide rear disk brake calipers are (don't ask)...

My distraction was interrupted only by tending to the kids. Timmy expressed a desire to do some shooting so I set him up behind the P3. I did some initial sight in as the gun was last used at long range and then let him have at it with a tin of fresh, lubed Falcons.

Timmy is a pretty good shot and responds well to coaching. He's also very observant of the safety rules. For this session he had the gun to himself to just see what he could do and to get some practice. We often have little competitions and such around here but on this day it was no pressure practice.

He did pretty good but he wasn't trying for photogenic groups. He ended up doing some sighting and then put about 30 rounds into the same hole that encompassed his aim point. It was a good session for him and he learned a few things.

The rifle was set-up at 3200psi and he was shooting 77.2gr Falcons at a muzzle velocity of 787fps. The slugs are hitting the target at 679fps. I mention these numbers because I think noting the trajectory here is informative. I hear every now and then that you just can't shoot accurately unless you're pushing 900+ from the muzzle. Baloney! Look at the trajectory and you can see that we're not lobbing basketballs here. In fact, if I was going for the best groups at this range or even at a full 50 yards, I would fill this gun to a higher pressure and reduce the velocity of the slugs down to about a 700fps start! At 50 yards that will produce groups of about a third of an inch....for as many shots as you care to take! If you're hunting, look again at the trajectory. There just isn't that much to compensate for if you were going after gophers for instance. Now, I can run up the velocity on this gun/slug combination to 935fps in about 30 seconds but that takes a lot more air, is louder, takes better technique to shoot and produces no better result unless you're shooting past 100 yards (which everyone on the net seems to need to do but never does...). I love the fact that I can turn this gun down to super quiet and shoot from inside the house (still at 100+FPE) and not need ear cups. That makes shooting on rainy days almost as much fun as any other time!

So, here's the set-up:
Timmy.jpg
That's Timmy just getting started.

Timmy2.jpg
Here I've raised his a bit seat and he is comfortable behind the gun. He was just about to fire as I snapped this.

Here's the video. The first two shots are captured at 420FPS and you can see the trajectory pretty good. The last segment is an HD clip.
April 28, 2009 11:55PM
Excellent. Real glad somebody got to shoot. thumbs up And, thanks for posting too! thumbs up thumbs up

Gary
April 29, 2009 05:17AM
Pretty nifty setup there, what a bonus to be able to shoot right from home! Thanks for posting it.
April 29, 2009 08:45AM
Jerry I'm jealous that someone got to shoot on the weekend. I got to catch up with everything that wasn't done while I was away, and some things that happenend while i was away, like a fridge-freezer in the garage that chose to defrost and let its contents decompose. Whew!
I do feel though that the way Timmy is shaping up you better watch your back!!!shooter
Cheers
Neil
April 30, 2009 12:49AM
Hi Neil,

Sorry to hear about the freezer letting go. I've had that happen and there is no good time for it! If misery really does like company, you'll be delighted to hear that I've just contracted to replace my air conditioning unit that failed about the same time that Timmy was practicing!

I will have to keep an eye on him. I'm pretty sure that all these calls for a competition are based on the crazy notion that he's going to win one some day! surprised
April 30, 2009 04:54AM
Jerry,

Nice stuff; looks like a comfortable range.

I worked on my cheap chinese springer this weekend, does that count? Want to see pictures? I didn't think so.drinking smiley
April 30, 2009 08:58AM
what is the name og the gun? is it tundra?
April 30, 2009 11:15AM
Ali,
That's the Prairie III.
April 30, 2009 12:06PM
Ali,

The Tundra's are 45 caliber guns. The Prairie Class are all 32 caliber guns. They have a similar configuration.

Gary
April 30, 2009 12:16PM
So, is a Tundra in .58 still a Tundra? Or something else . . . shooter with bench rifle

-- Jim
April 30, 2009 01:35PM
Jim,

While it was an option, nobody ever ordered a Tundra in 58 caliber. I've never made one.

smiling smiley

Gary
April 30, 2009 07:40PM
Gary and Jerry,

thanks for informations. I will learn slowly slowly in turkish yavas yavas smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021