Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: More Space ...

More Space ...
July 08, 2016 12:36AM
Kelly suggested I remove the door to the abrasive room. Get it out of the way. I saw a WALL!!! At the same time I'm trying to reorganize one of my main work areas for more seperate groupings of individual projects. So they don't spill over each other.

I made this shelving/cabinet and hung it on a French Cleat. Bought more small drawer units. Placed my Craftsman plastic unit from 1974.

Gary
image.jpeg
July 08, 2016 04:05PM
Gary,

Always nice to have more space and items organized! I have the same dilemma and really need to organize the garage and my office space.

Need to paint the garage as it wasn't when we purchased the house. I bought a floor epoxy paint to coat the garage floor and will look much nicer when completed. Now just need to make the time!

Hope you can continue to make progress!

Pedro
July 08, 2016 09:57PM
Gary
Those little drawer organizers are great . I have many with a lot of Airgun parts all organized and labeled . It so easy to find little parts I bought a huge one at an auction that was empty and filled up quickly . No more coffe cans !

Thanks
Kurt
July 08, 2016 11:43PM
Yep. This labeling things might just catch on! wow

Hehe
July 09, 2016 04:27PM
Nice work Gary!
July 14, 2016 01:52AM
French cleats are totally the way to go when hanging cabinets that will need to carry significant weight, since you can ALWAYS get at least a couple of sturdy fasteners directly into studs. When I'm hanging store-bought pre-made medicine cabinets or small curiosity cabinets or such I typically discard the mounting hardware that comes with them since it's so difficult to precisely match up those tiny little screws with the tiny little mounting holes in the cabinet. Instead, I'll fabricate a pseudo-french cleat (mounted directly to the back instead of flush) and live with it not quite lying completely flat against the wall.

If you don't have easy access to a table saw to fabricate the cleat, just cheat! Screw and glue a reversed and inverted piece of the smallest colonial style (or similar) trim to the top back of the cabinet. Then reverse a matching piece of trim and mount it securely to the studs. The profile of that particular trim can be rotated and transposed to fit exactly against itself on the two faces, acting as a fancier-than-really-needed but still totally functional, low-profile cleat. Best of all it's cheap, fast, and easily available since a lot of homeowners already have leftover pieces of it hanging around in storage. Stick a couple of felt buttons to the bottom wall-side corners if you don't like the cabinet hanging a degree or two off-kilter, or if the doors tend to hang open because of the tilt. The cabinet will stick out by the depth of the trim piece/cleat but you can always trim the perimeter, it's easier than trying to inlet the cabinet side cleat to lay flush.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021