Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: If I could package this .....

If I could package this .....
July 13, 2016 01:50PM
In order to get the very high tolerance required for lock component placement on the model 97 folders, I make drilling jigs. These are hardened tool steel patterns, made with great care, for accuracy.

In the model 97 (as well as most folders) the pivot hole location is critical for the blade to lock open and closed, in the correct position - with all the corners tucked in.

In the 97, the lock open and lock closed, are two different female machining a, that recieve one male locking member - for either open or closed. Therefore; they must be on the same Orbit's diameter.

In the 97, the location of these machines sockets determined the position of the lock open blade, and the position of the blade when closed. If, for example; the socket was wrong by a few degrees along that orbit, the point of the blade might stick out as the lock engaged with the blade not yet precisely closed.

By the same token, if the blade pivot hole location is wrong, then all the blade's top notches will hang out of the case when closed.

The position of some of these holes is placed by eye. And then careful scribing, punching, drilling turns the design into hardened tool steel.

In 1997, I made a drilling jig for the original design. This week, I made one for the general design that has been favored recently.

After everything was drilled and hardened, I decided to make one small addition to the blade of a folder that's in the works. I picked up the wrong drilling jig .... and of course ..... it fit. Three holes, three pins, and the blade open is at the correct placement, and the blade at rest is at the correct placement.

There are so many judgement calls, and alignment "by eye" as decisions are made (before the math begins) that the variables are enormous. Making all of these judgement calls, doing the math, and then scribing, punching, and drilling these holes - in tool steel ..... And doing it identically ...... 19 years apart ...... is Impossible.

And yet, I do it all of the time.

I line stuff up, perfectly; by eye. But, of course; nobody would "count on" this. And so; I take all of the time to do the math, and set the calipers, and scribe, and triangulate.

How's that for a "Believe it or not" segment!

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2016 01:54PM by barnespneumatic.
July 13, 2016 02:59PM
Gary
I'm a believer ! I know with wisdom comes talent and with talent and repetition and age comes precision . I also noticed the different location on anvil adjusting screws on my new prototype sambar knife you made me . I always picture my self replicating or how would I make it . Can you tell me did you see that screw location ahead of time and plan it or was that a " how can I achieve this " moment ?

It's ALWAYS very humbling seeing your work Gary .

Thanks
Kurt
July 13, 2016 03:35PM
Hi Kurt,

That was built inside the natural shape of the Stag. I made this one with the narrow end forward. Actually, the last one similar to this was probably in the early 80's. And then, I'd turned the stag around, wide end forward, for that early "Trunion Pivot, Leaf Spring, Button Release". Had I remembered that earlier, before committed, I'd have made this with the wide end forward. But, I rethought it, and determined I had a valid way forward (or if have never continued).

On yours, I inlaid (interior) base pillars of solid brass. Into these, I machined Sockets, threads, holes. For the cam shaft lock, I made the interior inlaid pillar deep enough, so that an intersecting threaded hole would be threaded thru the brass wall of the pillar, and then grip the shaft. One is enough.

While is might appear that the lock is just threaded into the stag, that is just the entry point.

thumbs up

Gary

It's in the mail

Jeff, Kurt mailed yesterday
Keith, Scott, Julio being packed
Tony, Julio on the bench.

Tony
image.jpeg

Julio
image.jpeg
July 13, 2016 11:38PM
Thanks Gary, it's nice to see the word blue on my knife's description
July 14, 2016 03:12AM
And that is what it means to be an artist and master craftsman.
It comes naturally and never has to be forced....

Scott
July 14, 2016 03:27AM
Gary,

It's great to hear/see about some of your machining techniques! I like how you use some traditional methods like using layout fluid scribing lines custom made jigs/ fixtures etc... I first learned machining the old fashion way IMO it has a more natural feel when compared to CNC.... Once you start to make that block of metal into a 3 dimensional object, the math alone can be staggering when it's time to crunch numbers on a part, I can imagine the pocket folders must be very carefully done ... Nice job on the knife jig! does its job well, nice and simple, good work!

Matt
July 14, 2016 09:29AM
Julio
What does the blue stand for if you don't mind me asking ? Did Gary find some super rare skeeter tusk?

Thanks
Kurt
July 14, 2016 01:29PM
Hello Julio,

Well now, the BLUE refers to the blue color of the Wooly Mammoth Tusk that will become the handle scales on your knife. The color leaches into the surface of the Ivory tusk over thousands of years. The color will be determined by the minerals in the soil in which the tusk is buried. For blue, the ground probably had rich concentrations of copper.

It's a beautiful phenomenon. Highly prized.

I'll do my best on it for you Julio.

Thank you for your extreme patience. You are one of my oldest Airgun friends. You are one of my very best customers. You have also often waited far, far longer then others. If anyone feels ignored, I guarantee, Julio has probably waited longer on many projects. And he's done so always wishing me the best. Always saying a prayer for me. Always treating my wife respectively. Always believing that if I had any more to give - I'd do it.

Thank you, my good friend.
Gary
July 14, 2016 04:59PM
Gary
I had to google blue tusk ! Wow that's pretty special stuff . I can't wait to see it after you get done with it !

I don't know Julio very well but I got the impression after meeting him he is everything you said . That's why I wanted him to have the coin . It's hard to meet good people now that I don't really go out much with work schedule . I also generally don't hang out with the guys I hire or work with . After 10 hrs of ME , I'm doing them a favor by just going home quietly .The mix of fellas I met at skeeter shoot ALL seemed like a great bunch with all common interests.
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
July 14, 2016 09:40AM
Awesome! Thanks Gary and Kelly!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021