Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Quick Change Lathe Post - update 3

Quick Change Lathe Post - update 3
August 02, 2016 12:13AM
Getting so close to completion. I had to make a tool holder to ensure I place the handle in the correct place for the cam. Need to get spiral taps as the cheaper straight type want to break so easily.

image.jpeg

After this will make a few more holders at the same time. On holidays next week so be doing many things around the house and garage. Painting the garage and placing an epoxy on the floor.

Have a great week.

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2016 12:28AM by pedrog.
August 02, 2016 03:27AM
Pedro,
That's some nice work on the tool post I don't think you can buy em that nice for the mini lathe!! You turned that ugly block of HRS into a great tool holder ...I see you've learned a thing or two or seven....working in the trades as a tool maker! Was looking at some smaller band saws on the inter webs... As you were saying, they are not too expensive. Do Plan to get one in the future!

The holder is turning out nice!
Matt
August 05, 2016 03:44AM
Hi Matt,

It turns out you can buy them for mini lathes. About $150 USD for a set. But I wanted to make my own and save the expense. You learn more by making things then buying every accessory. Good luck on the saw, I am sure your nearest classifieds would have saws listed.

Pedro
August 02, 2016 06:27AM
Pedro,

You breaking taps using tapping fluid?

Nice work.

Lon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2016 06:35AM by Bigbore.
August 05, 2016 03:48AM
Hi Lon,

No broken taps but have to be so careful. Using lubrication but have to do a quarter turn, turn back till loose, then another quarter turn.

Lousy taps is all.

Pedro
August 02, 2016 01:00PM
Real nice work Pedro,

Yep. I live by Spiral Taps.

And, you will know that the drill/tap charts are printed by the TAP MANUFACTURERS. They always suggest a drill size which is about 87% assured to break a tap. You have to learn the actual size which allows a full thread to be cut.

Ok. Gotta go get stuck in the neck ....

Thanks guys. Great work Pedro. Don't make that shop too nice now. You won't want to get it dirty. Haha.

Gary
August 03, 2016 04:47AM
I always wondered where those numbers came from on the tap/drill continuum. Now I know.brick wall
August 05, 2016 03:52AM
Hello Gary,

Hope the neck injection went well.

Makes sense tap mfg put out the charts, yet another conspiracy! I have never had issues with a good brand of tap, spiral are very nice. Chips come up out of the hole allowing blind tapping to be easy. Trouble is the spiral taps aren't cheap but better than breaking the cheap ones in a part.

Try not to make shop to nice. Does painting and epoxy coating the floor count as too nice? Might happen next week!

Pedro
August 05, 2016 12:57PM
Hi Pedro,

Yep. Once you exotic coat the floor .... next thing there will be "Cheese Plates" and "Fancy Crackers" laid out on the work bench. Probably a Disco Mirror Ball on the ceiling. You're playing with FIRE Pedro. It's a SLIPPERY SLOPE!

laughing
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021