Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Garage - Cleaning, painting - Update 2

Garage - Cleaning, painting - Update 2
August 12, 2016 03:12PM
So been on holidays this week. Visited my folks and wife's mom Monday, Tuesday and rest of week at home.

I cleaned half the garage and painted the ceiling and walls. Most hadn't been done when we moved in. Then spent hours cleaning the floor for Rust-oleam epoxy floor paint. Used to painting with a roller but this stuff needs to be put on thick, had to much left over and useless after 2 hours. Now move everything to painted half and paint the rest of the floor. That is the goal today!

image.jpeg

Put some finished pictures up when completed. Been a lot of work but will be so rewarding later!

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2016 03:46AM by pedrog.
Re: Garage - Cleaning, painting
August 12, 2016 04:50PM
Wow .... I couldn't afford anything that came out of THAT shop! High Class!!!! Hehe.

I have two of those mills. Mine are over 30 years old. Good tools. Mine both Rong Fu from Tiawan! Nothing but the best!!!

Gary
August 12, 2016 08:13PM
Well Gary, so far not much comes out of this garage. Don't worry about not being able to afford it, I do offer financing at a decent percentile. Years, decades for repayment mightbe negotiatable!

My mill is a Grizzly, Taiwan model. I think the taiwan is better over the later China built from what I have seen. Still doesn't replace a knee mill but in time will see.

Enjoy the day!

Pedro
August 14, 2016 01:25AM
Hi Pedro,

I sure have floor surface envy. Really great.

I've been told that the deal is that everybody makes the same mill. Same castings. Factories all over the country. And, of course - some are better. Some have tighter quality control. Story went that the Taiwan Products ruled. Not sure if it's still the same. But, used to be that the catalogs priced the Tiawan products, about 33% higher then the same mills built to the same plans from Mainland Factories.

It's sort of like bragging about who has the best Cock Roach ... but what the heck. When you have a RongFu .... you are just GONNA brag. Haha. wow

thumbs up

Gary
August 12, 2016 07:02PM
Pedro,

The garage turnd out good you could eat off those floors! it's nice working in a clean area.... Easy to find the tools you need! It sure does Drive me crazey when you can't find your favorite crescent wrench!!

Matt
August 12, 2016 08:15PM
Hi Matt,

Yes looks clean and getting ready to do 2nd half. It is tedious work and wish I could have an empty garage to do it, be much easier.

Is your favorite crescent wrench metric or standard? Might help narrow the search nowthatIthink

Thanks for commenting.

Pedro

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2016 08:16PM by pedrog.
August 12, 2016 10:45PM
Crescent Wrench? Haha. How about 2-56 by 1/8" Grub Screws. Or 0-80 Round head Stainless machine screws. They're smaller than filings. Haha.

Floor looks great. I'll have to wait til next life or Heaven for one of those. My floors are full up. thumbs up. I'm not up to moving all that again. Haha.

Gary
August 13, 2016 04:49PM
Pedrog,
That room 'pops' now! Nice job,
Jeff
August 14, 2016 12:20PM
Pedro
That looks great . You can tell you've only been there a short time !( haha ) I can't even see my garage floor after 27 yrs of accumulate . I even use the space between the joists and studs for material storage but it would be nice to have a finished area to work . I do have really good halogin lighting that's helps see the mess !
Hope you enjoyed your holiday . It's good to be seeing family also with them being close enough to drive .
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
August 14, 2016 01:53PM
That's nice, isn't it Kurt.

Hey - old guys like us are still bragging that we have CONCRETE floors instead of dirt. Haha. laughing

Looks like everything that comes from that shop is gonna have to be Satin finished Stainless Steel!!! Hehe.

Gary
August 15, 2016 03:56AM
So Friday I moved everything to other half of garage. Cleaned, removed oil stains, cleaned, etched concrete with citric acid base that came with kit. Then washed floor twice more to remove any trace. This time I put on the epoxy coat thick. I saved some so I can move the wood cabinet and paint under it. I will add another layer to previously applied paint to get a thicker base for high traffics areas.

I did seal the can for the first kit. Opened it, the 2 part paint had a thick top film but underneath still very liquid. Maybe I can still use it to apply another coat. Do some tests to see if the epxoy air hardens. The decorative paint flakes can be bought separate so will see.

image.jpeg

So next finish paint ceiling and south wall. New white paint much more bright than faded current paint. I also noticed stripe LED lights on sale the other day. Suppose to be brighter than flourescent. Anyone try them?

Thanks for comments and reading the posts.

Pedro
August 15, 2016 05:11AM
Gonna be a great place to work Pedro. I hope you really enjoy it.

A lighting caution. Don't get stuff too bright in your peripheral vision. It'll screw you up. Shade bright stuff. I use aluminum tape to shade work lights.

Gary
August 22, 2016 03:25AM
Thanks for the tip regarding brightness, will keep it in mind.
Sal
August 15, 2016 12:02PM
Looks fantastic Pedro, did you use any anti-skid mixed in with the epoxy? Previous owners used epoxy in my garage, it's a 25 year old coat and turns into an ice skating rink when it gets wet. About the lighting, many led fixtures can be used with a dimmer which is fantastic, also look for 2700K color temperature. 3000K and up started to get too blue and is honestly harsh under prolonged exposure. It's great for a closet so you can see the difference between Navy blue and black but anywhere else in the house it will just bother the heck out of you.
August 22, 2016 03:28AM
Hello Sal,

I didn't use an anti skid additive. The paint chips for decoration seemed to do the trick for now. Garage never gets to freezing so not sure how it will be in winter. The dimmer on lights is a good idea. When time comes will take into consideration.

Thanks,

Pedro
August 20, 2016 03:26PM
I just wish my house HAD a garage...Even sadder
August 22, 2016 02:18PM
Hey Sean.

A man with all your skills .... you should be able to knock out a garage licked Split. Better get those footers in quickly though. I hear it freezes at the end of August up there! Hehe.

You can do it. Remember - steep pitched metal roof!

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021