Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Modem Came in ....,

Modem Came in ....,
August 18, 2016 05:23PM
Yayyyyyyyy...,,,,,

But they just showed that the DSL line is burnt out.

Technician can be out ...... Next week.

They've been replacing half the electronics in the area, evidently.

Gary

Back to playing the spoons while I work .....
August 20, 2016 03:05PM
I know a couple guys who swear by SiriusXM for their shop radios, about $13-14 bucks a month and you can usually find the equipment for cheap used. If your cable TV is still working they sometimes have a "radio" channel as well. Up here the TV signal is more reliable than the internet, even though they all come in on the same cable.
August 20, 2016 05:32PM
Hi Sean.

Maybe. Thks.

Satellite at the house. No cable.

DSL Net.

Shops in the woods. Have to clear a swath for sat signal.

I just FINALLLLLY GOT net back. It was touch and go there ...... rough!!!

Gary
August 24, 2016 10:55AM
Gary,

If it burned a wire at the house then you were... dang close... too close.. .

Mine here in the Philippines was out for a week lightning hit the walk in metal box that takes the fiber and converts it to Wire to be sent around the subdivision. Now in the USA they often run the fiber right near the house in the ground or on a pole. This is not as good but way cheaper.

Lightning hit this walk in box right on the corner, it melted routers and amps in the racks and blew melted copper like a few dozen shotgun blasts all over the inside of the box. The big power breakers just gave up early and blew into hundreds of pieces so just the empty shell of the breaker left in the box. They made no attempt to "fix" anything. They had another built in Manila and sent here by boat. Works very well. I went to the box and tried to take photos of the toasted one but they even had a guard there. They let me see it but not take video or stills. This is about 3/4 mile from me and I had ZERO damage at the house just no net or phone.

I did ask the local tech if the old box was grounded. He looked at me like I was 12 and said.."it is a metal box and it is setting on the ground" Hey who am I to argue with those facts. Well I heard that several big engineer type guys came from Manila to see it. The new metal box is in the same spot but I noticed a 2 inch brass rod going down in the ground and everything seemed to be grounded to that in a mostly correct way.

If you take a direct hit nothing will stop damage in a big way. But this one is more up to international standards ground wise.

Gary, glad we are both back on... for now... sigh I still unplug everything when I leave.

Larry
August 25, 2016 06:40AM
Larry
That's crazy stuff ! I've always HATED electricity . I don't mind DC Volts ! Hehe
You hit the nail in the head about burnt wires being too close . I'm glad you didn't have any damage other than down time .

Funny thing about verbiage and translation ... When we we hooking up the big cnc machine I operate they tell you to hook the copper wire to the floor (aka ground ) . The other funny thing that sticks out is the coolant used for cutting tools is referred to as ( refrigerant ) Every now and then an error code pops up that say I'm low on refrigerant ! I laugh every time .
Take care !

Thanks
Kurt
August 25, 2016 10:19AM
Kurt,

Thanks I am glad I am OK too. Glad Gary just had a burnt wire.

Yes translations are funny here because we get so much stuff from China and lots of used cars and equipment from Japan and the instructions are so funny and just so wrong.

I was called to a dance club a few weeks ago doing repair on wires chewed off by rats.. Yup I mean rats eat the wires inside the club. I put the speaker wires in small used PVC pipes and painted them black to hide them.

But when I was checking all the wires I found that a metal water pipe that went from the second floor down into the club basement floor had been cut off about 2 feet above the floor and the cement floor chipped up about a foot down and the rotted metal pipe had been replaced with Blue PVC. The thoughtful plumber had also taken the 7 copper ground wires for the sound equipment and clamped them with a circle clamp to the plastic PVC pipe. I really laughed at that. I had to replace the ground wires with longer wires and ran them outside to real ground.

Sigh..

Larry
August 25, 2016 01:12PM
Good story Larry. Haha.

Did you get a bunch of mean Alley Cats to patrol the club for rats? Ha. "Escalation!" Then some dogs, then some Rhinoceros-ous-es!! Hah!
August 26, 2016 12:45PM
Gary,

Keeping a balanced Eco System in a basement disco is always important. ha ha ... I think the drunk dancers can get around the small animals but the Rino's might cause a clean up problem.

His help did find two holes that rats were using as a highway. We plugged them with Cement and set 6 rat traps.

My work is done here. ha ha ..

Take care,

Larry
August 26, 2016 02:04PM
Hi Larry,

Yep. Pouring a layer of cement over your work .... is a pretty conclusive final step.

Except in Maryland .... Where it will heave and crack .... Seperate and Crumble ... at which point: repeat previous step with 5,000 psi mix and/or vinyl patch mix.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021