Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Pics of Projects ....,

Pics of Projects ....,
August 20, 2016 01:19PM
These are some of the projects - the ones I can show. The others are parts and diagrams and assemblies that I just don't photograph.

The copper folding knife is a version of my US Patent Knife Design. The Patent covers various forms of release and case structure. This is the manual release version.

image.jpeg

There are two model 97s here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

And a few sheath knives.

image.jpeg

I hope you enjoy the pics.

Gary.

I feel I need to make a comment here. I know you have expected more rifle work. Sorry for how the reality of timing bites my plans in the buttstock. I'll work hard to try to make some nice pieces to live off of, while I make some ledger progress. A good plan. Then reality amends my plan. It will so happen that the timing got me to present myself at one of my four Drs. Offices for consultation and check up. Two of such I have to travel to - cite the complex Fla. laws regarding who can do what. Then, one of my chronic pains will flare up and need treatment. My meds will conspire to need the expensive ones refilled. I'll develop a new health issue! Yay. Then the A/C, car, etc will realize I have a couple of dollars left. And .... there ya go. Plans shot to heck. Either the hourglass has reset, or the wallet has moths in it. Either way, the best plans, efforts, and desires are shot. "Ha! Try again Sport!"

I'm giv'n it all I've got Cap'tn.

And that's how Reality mugs me on the way to the shop. A get a Sap to the temple. A bag over my head. And I stumble into the shop.

thumbs up

Gary
August 20, 2016 02:49PM
Life is what happens when you're making other plans, right?

Catchy, someone should make a song out of that!whistling
August 20, 2016 08:05PM
Looks like alota on the table . Is the copper one a pocket clip on outside or part of the mechanism ? Either way I like the copper sides .

The other blanks you have cut of fixed blade sheath knifes looks like a fun bunch of work . That large one looks to be a good 10" blade .

See what kinda work you got done without wifi . There IS a silver lining

Thanks
Kurt
August 20, 2016 10:08PM
Ouch Gary,
A sap to the temple... Ya know, I remember a bunch of the old guys carrying those things when I first went to work. They could put a whole lot of hurtin on you in a very short time, for sure! I hadn't heard of, or thought of, one of those in years. Now I know how the dinosaurs must have felt!

You have some interesting stuff hidden in those piles, but that copper knife looks to be a thing of real beauty!

Thanks for sharing,
Jeff
August 21, 2016 02:26AM
Hi Jeff,

The leaf spring is machined with a base and a tapered foot wedge that engages the blade tang.

This is one version of my US PATENT Folding Knife. I'll look up the official number. The patent covers quite a few release options and case options. It will be a fine knife. Thanks.

Gary
August 21, 2016 12:13PM
Hey Gary,
I just saw the new 'recut' version of the second Ancient Man bead and it is amazing! It looks like he could talk now. I don't know how you did that but it is impressive! I could not comment on that page as it states that the topic is closed, but I wanted to say something because the difference is night and day from the earlier version. Vey impressive and I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing the differences.
Later,
Jeff
August 21, 2016 01:07PM
image.jpeg

Hi Jeff,

It was an accidental brush of the finger which closed the topic. (I wield tremendous power in my pinky! LOL!. It can splash over on unintended actions! Haha.

I reopened the topic (with my index finger).

Thanks for commenting. I appreciate it very much. I liked the recut too. Thanks.

Fun to watch a hard substance like antler, come to life.

thumbs up

Gary
August 21, 2016 06:22PM
There's a model 97 with single bolsters that has bone scales prepared.

There is a model 97 with double carved bolsters with Sambar Stag prepared.

I'm undecided on the Copper. It could stand alone or use an applied scale. The leaf spring is on one side only - the "back" or what is known in the knife trade as the "pile" side.

Anybody know where the term "pile side" comes from?

Gary
August 21, 2016 11:11PM
Hey Gary,
I don't know about how the 'pile side' got it's name, but you made me curious. Therefore I found this site which is one of the nicest sites I have found on the subject: [greateasterncutlery.net]/blog/pocket-knives/knife-terminology/;

And the this (which is a reference to a forum that I am not a member of, but the included comment seemed to make sense-

This links to a thread that has what may be the the most academically satisfying explanation of why the pile side is the pile side. The "mark" is the stamping die and the "pile" is the anvil pillar on which the piece is struck.

[www.bladeforums.com]

Anyway, I hope it helps some. Thanks for opening that 'topic' back up!
Later,
Jeff
August 22, 2016 03:06PM
Hi Jeff,

Yep. That's it, but I'll flesh it out:

Pocket knives are usually riveted together. (Well, hundreds of millions of them were, before modern machine screws were so cheap).

On a production line, there would be a heavy steel base plate for a given model of pocket knife. An Assembly Technician would insert blank pins (probably brass most times), into drilled holes in this plate. The individual pocketknife parts would have been prepared and finished, and around the station in bins. The Tech would take the far side part of the knife (blade pointing left) and that outside part would be the far liner/bolsters with its handle scales attached. The Tech would slide this over the pins, and then proceed to PILE the other parts, in order, onto the pins. Once all had been PILED onto the pins, they'd remove the assembly. They'd then nip off the pins to the correct length. Sand the ends flat of burrs. And then SPIN the rivet heads with a sort of drill press with an upper and lower die set attached. Spinning the cupped die on the stationary rib it end would mushroom and burnish it. Both sides would be done. The blade/blades would be checked for action. Adjustments made with wedge and lever to correct the side tension. The moving parts would get a drop of oil. And the completed pocketknife would join the previous completed knives.

Point left, the far side as hence always been called the PILE side. The near side gets the maker's shield. Thus it is the MARK side.

thumbs up

You'll always remember this now. You might forget your address later, but you will know the PILE side of any pocket knife!

Gary
August 22, 2016 10:20PM
Thanks Gary, that was fun!
Don't let things 'pile' up on you or you might find a rivet through your handle laughing again!
Later,
Jeff
August 25, 2016 02:18PM
Gary
Is that big knife in photo a kitchen knife your making ? It looks to be the longest blade I've ever seen you make . I noticed 3 finger guards but that big blade has a belly in the handle area & too big for guards . Hmmmmm

Thanks
Kurt
August 25, 2016 03:44PM
Hi Kurt,

It's the straight top edge that's throwing you, and the depth of the handle is just slightly more narrow than usual. Blade section is only 4 1/4". Total piece of steel is 8 3/8". stunned. ......... Well ..... IT IS!

You need a butcher's knife Kurt? I might could whip ya something up. Haha.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021