Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: OBJECT lesson - pics

OBJECT lesson - pics
August 21, 2016 02:03AM
Hi Guys.

I had a couple of discussions recently regarding art and the human form. Especially as it relates to "price point" production of a product.

Everyone is quite familiar with the human form. If the brain sences something different from what it's used to seeing, it flags it as comical, odd, etc.

When making something to such a minor scale as these small carved forms - the most tiny stroke of the tool will make huge differences. Jeff and Sean both commented on the eyes of the second form I showed. I would not have left it "unfiddled" with. But their comments back my point. You can't make a "Bead" in human form .... Unless you are a flawless machine able to do repeat minute operations. A "Bead" has to be made to a "price point". Even if you push that point a bit .... the human viewer is going to expect an incredible degree of execution.

Now ... Look at this. I reworked the bead with the staring eyes.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This is what I'd have picked at. I recut it, stained and polished it. This is more what I'd carve since I've regained my memory of the order and degree of the cuts, along with the usage of my new bit shapes. However; now that the piece looks nearly like it should speak .... it's no longer "a bead". This degree of control and execution is not possible for the price of a "bead".

So; either I'd have to develop an exaggerated "Woods Spirit" type of creature, or change subjects.

It's been a good exercise and object lesson. thumbs up

Gary
August 21, 2016 01:09PM
Sorry Guys. The topic is open. I had accidentally brushed the "Close Topic" on my phone. When you have all this power in your little finger .... WHOOOH!!!

Hehe.

I'd enjoy any discussion the topic brought to your mind.

Gary
August 21, 2016 02:57PM
Gary
I'm by no means artistic but to me the hardest part would be faces / people . Plus having ONLY to remove material from a blank but still an identifiable piece of antler . Still barrel shaped at the top and the bottom . Just like you said tricking the eyes with shadows and recesses just enough to create .Plus all on a micro platform .
Would you consider that 3~D or ?? The reason I as is is on my walrus primative hunter pendant its a side profile view but still looks 3 dimensional ! I really think Sean had a great idea along with your copper cookies and leather bisquets stacked into a handle of a knife or letter opener . I've honestly never cared for the BIG antler carved mass produced knife handles but the dainty beads would still retain a small profile for your hand . Like a totem pole in your hand !

Thanks for sharing !

Thanks
Kurt
August 21, 2016 03:08PM
Interesting idea from Sean and you, Kurt.

I've made stacked handles of leather and stag before. Could happen again!

Yeah - there's more to carve on a full face rather than a profile. And, both sides and eyes have to match well. Profiles are good on a handle since you don't need a nose sticking out 90 degrees from the grip. Ha.

There's soooo many possibilities and so little time. I'll tell you though, when somebody mounts a bunch of my knives on a board, they get a large variety of designs, techniques, and artwork. The rarest collection of Barnes would be two alike. Haha.

Gary
August 21, 2016 11:13PM
Hey Gary,
Amen to that last comment about the rarest collection of Barnes (anything) is two alike. You got that right!
Later,
Jeff
August 22, 2016 05:49AM
Gary,

You may remember we've had, uh, "discussions" regarding some of your work in the past.more innocent

Your field requires an understanding by clients that natural materials have flaws and/or lack the uniformity that manufacturing assures. Also, certain aspects of your work such as the texture finishes and patinas are just not exact. Natural patinas are not uniform nor are a lot of man made processes like charcoal bluing.

There is a custom knife maker down here that had some nice knives at the local gun show. Damascus steel, natural materials for scales. One of his knives had bone or antler scales that had a void on one side. He filled it with some material but had to HEAVILY discount it for a 3mm void.

The level of execution is what defines the craftsman or artist IMO; but I have realistic expectations about the materials and processes.

Lonster
August 22, 2016 01:58PM
Ah yes ..... "Discussions" .........

Well, you make some good points here. There may be hope for you yet.

And, I hope you allowed that Knifemaker at least gas money home for his Dsmascus knife ..... whistling. Don't Nick yourself.

Behave.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021