Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Friendly reminder!

Friendly reminder!
May 01, 2009 11:02PM
If you're going to be doing any shooting tomorrow, take the camera and use it!

It looks like its going to be a rainy day here in the people's republic of Maryland and that will probably be followed by more rain on Sunday. According to the weather radar, the rest of the country will largely be free of bad weather.

It would really be nice if someone would take some pictures and document their airgun shooting activities for the rest of us to enjoy. I don't mean to sound whiney but we have far more shooters and viewers here than we have posters. Gary can't build a gun and post all about it every week and we (the few who have posted pictures) can't go out and run some experiment every week for all to enjoy and comment on without some meaningful participation from the rest of you!

Just to be clear: we're all busy and we all have a bunch of stuff that fills our days and nights. If you have the time to shoot and you have the time to come and read other's posts, you have the time to contribute. If a single dad of 4 boys can put together a post, so can you! I work a fairly stressful job with a bunch of people in four time zones working for me and reporting in at odd times. I expect that most of you have similar demands on your time for different reasons but demands on your time nonetheless. But, we all get the same 24 hour days and when we go shooting, we all have the same access to cameras and the same ability to post something!

I'm looking for the members here to step up and post what they are shooting. I know there are guys out there shooting and enjoying the hobby and I hope they will share with us. I'm not looking for links to stuff you find on the net or stuff that someone else did and posted. Right now, and this weekend, some of you will go out and shoot airguns or do something within the hobby of airguns that you can share and enrich us all. Will you do it, or just spectate?

How about it?
May 02, 2009 07:39AM
Jerry
I'm workin' on it! Last night I went out with the 909s with spotlight and camera attached, hunting the dreaded possum (an Australian import that devastates our native bush and birds) and found.....nothing!!crying
Going back out again tonight though......
Cheers

Neil
May 02, 2009 04:02PM
We're pullin' for you Buddy!

thumbs up

Gary
May 02, 2009 01:55PM
Good luck Neil! shooter
May 02, 2009 07:06PM
Sorry to report that I had no success last night, so nothing to post in the hunting sectionsad smiley O Saw only one possum, in the distance and he departed while I was trying to get closer. I did discover some weaknesses in my camera setup which I will rectify before my next hunt. It takes HD video as well as stills so I hope to capture some "live" action!

Cheers

Neil
May 02, 2009 08:15PM
Hello Neil,

Can you draw a picture of the opposum you saw in the dark? haha. That'd be great! Be the best post all day! hahah.

Gary
May 03, 2009 06:47AM
Hehehehe, if only I could draw as well as you, I wouldnerd but I can't , so here's the next best thing.....

These Australian imports were first brought here for fur, and since have multiplied to about 70 million, eating our native vegetation and native birds eggs and hatchlings. These are amazingly tough critters. I have shot them with .45's and they still run away.....Despite poisoning and shooting they still thrive, though in lesser numbers around here. Once upon a time I could walk up the back of my house and shoot 5 with the Falcon within 5 minutes, up in the trees. Now they are much harder to find, so I think I have been doing my bit!
But I will get some video, for sure, it's just a matter of time....
Regards

Neil
May 02, 2009 05:27PM
Yeah ... I guess the difference is between the "Endless Buffet Bar" ... and the "Bring a Dish Party". spinning smiley sticking its tongue out We all enjoy some entertainment. Nobody likes to cook every time.

Gary
May 02, 2009 06:35PM
It's great spring time weather here, it feels like summer. Trees have acquired their leaves, those are still tiny and light green. Birds are singing day and night... and soon they sing 24/7 because we have nigthless nights in summer...

I was shooting, testing new slugs (alone, no pics sorry)...

Got new batch of slugs from friend, and have made several prototypes myself. I went to one old mining place or quarry where I'm allowed to shoot. It is great place and not too far away from home (takes about fifteen minutes to drive there); shooting place is rounded by huge rocks and stones and "mountains" of sand. It is possible to shoot distances from zero to bit over hundred yards; there is theoretical possibility for real long range shooting, but it requires special arrangements and negotiations with bosses of the mine. I will post photographs of that place some day, when having camera and somebody else with me.
May 02, 2009 08:18PM
Thanks for the story. Sounds like a great place to shoot. And, so close to home. That's a winner.

Testing slugs is always fun. It doesn't always yield results you want to photograph. However ... hey ... we'd like to see your rig.

Glad you got out to shoot. Thanks for the post.

Best,
Gary
May 02, 2009 10:02PM
I might be at the range tommorow we will see I need to order a new hose for my tank will have to contact airhog on monday so no airguns. I might take out the old .45-70.
May 03, 2009 01:28AM
Those look like fun too. I've spoken to other customers of mine who enjoyed them.

Have fun.

Gary
May 03, 2009 07:48AM
While it's not precisely airgun related, I did recently get a link from a friend of mine about a shooting misadventure/learning experience.

[iris.nyit.edu]

A very good reminder for those out there who load their own ammunition.
May 03, 2009 03:19PM
A good reminder that accidents CAN happen. Good to remember to stay alert.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021