Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: HOW does THIS happen? ... and other pics grinning smiley

HOW does THIS happen? ... and other pics grinning smiley
August 23, 2016 01:16AM
Which pic does the title line apply to? Why?

take a bow

Gary
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sal
August 23, 2016 01:39AM
I looked and looked and I'm stumped. Calipers all seem to be set the same?
August 23, 2016 03:14AM
Interesting. Though two are set at .270" and one at .070", I believe. But that isn't the small frustration that occurs over and over - by my own hand ....

Let's let it run for a bit ....

hourglass

Gary
August 23, 2016 05:47AM
more confused

Lon
August 23, 2016 10:58AM
Maybe you can never FIND your calipers and you found them all in the same spot in the morning after a long night at the grindstone More coffee

Thanks
Kurt
August 23, 2016 01:40PM
DING DING DING!!!! We have a WINNER!!!!. Ha. Takes one to know one!!! Hah!!! Yes, I hunt for calipers ALL DAY LONG. And I usually find them all together - like a box of puppies! Do "I" do that ...... or ....... DO THEY???!!!! surprisedblushexcited

I have three pr. that I keep clean, chip free, oiled - and that are well calibrated. I TRY to keep them distributed throughout the shop areas. Turn my back - I can't find any of them ........ and when I do ..... the darned things are all together!!! stunned

I have several more pair .... the two digital ones ALWAYS have dead batteries. I bought batteries - and they never get installed. The couple pr. of cheap ones seem to skip when returning to zero (probably just have chips in the rack). But the three would be good .... IF I COULD JUST FIND THEM, haha. LOL!

Kurt wins Bragging Rights!!!

Gary
August 23, 2016 01:46PM
Ha Gary
It takes one to know one . I actually KEEP mine in the wood box it came with and I cut out a slot in my 12" caliper box for my 6" to fit . They are always put back . . I think the elves move them around at night too .

Thanks
Kurt
August 23, 2016 02:00PM
Hi Kurt,

You are the better man. bowing

I use the things a good 289 times a day. I'd need roller bearings on my wooden box hinges to keep them from seizing up.

Every operation I do, has its required set of drills, milling bits, gauges, scribes, punches, hammers, jigs, trial screws, clamps, cheese plates, compass, and calipers. If I put them all back each time I touched them, it would take me six years to make a valve body. (LON!!!!! We don't need any cracks from you ..... ). surprised. Haha.

Ok. Gotta go put tools away ....

Hehe.

Gary
August 23, 2016 02:31PM
Gary
I'm sure you use yours WAAAAY more than me but I do use a lot of quick finger Gage's too . They are easier to carry and loan out . As you can see by the larger Gage , it's been dropped a few times and calibration is a good 60 deg off so I hafta twist my neck funny to read them . He he they are handy though . My old eyeballs can't read a drill bit size anymore but calipers with white dial is nice .

This 2-0" machinist square was one of my great garage sale finds ! I found two of them one brown & sharp and one Starrett with the wooden holders for cheep ! It's great for calibrating a 2ft framing square . The starrett has weird little serratted deal on the end of it that I've never figured out what its for .

So Lon
You got one of these biggin's yet ? There handy !

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2016 03:02PM by kurt wag.
image.jpg
image.jpg
August 23, 2016 06:12PM
It's a well-known fact that all measuring devices and gauges are herd animals. Tape measures, for example, run in packs and migrate under cover of darkness. Much like bats, they seek out remote and undisturbed locations during the day, as far away as possible from the noise and disturbance caused by working humans. It's not unknown for a shiny new member to join the pack of tape measures, typically after they have been missing for a prolonged period of time. While members are occasionally forced to leave the pack for short periods, they always return to the fold eventually, seeking the comfort and safety of anonymity within their elusive lairs.

Carpenters squares are particularly reclusive creatures. My own home has a small pack of them which is only sighted on rare occasions, despite occasional vigorous and frustrating effort on my part. It is also true that the more expensive a measuring device is, the faster and more thorough they are when they go into hiding.
August 24, 2016 12:54AM
I did find a cure for the tape measure issue. Free Harbor Freight Tapes, I kept getting them and leaving them all over the house, the garage, tool boxes, table saws, band saws, near lumber, etc. I probably have 20+ scattered throughout the area. I also have 5 new ones (oops now 4 one ran away) on a hook above the tool bench. The length of the tape is just right for most things. Other than flashlights one of the best free items around (I buy lots of cable ties from them and nitrile gloves for my purchase. The tubes of super glue are a good value also.

Gary L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 7
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021