Re: Two Bolster 97 So Far ...Pics

Two Bolster 97 So Far ...Pics
August 28, 2016 02:35AM
Turning out very well!!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
August 28, 2016 01:24PM
Nice Gary! What is that handle material?
Thanks,
Jeff
August 28, 2016 02:34PM
Hi Jeff,

That is the raw natural bone.

As you see, it has flecks and specks in it. It has slightly varying densities in different areas, which allows it to accept dye to accentuate those varying densities. The dye I've altered for the purpose, produces a nice Amber/brown spectrum. It should be very pretty with the darkened contrast in the carving.

The white bone is very attractive. And, it could look quite nice when polished. However; it's not Ivory. So; you'd have to accept a multitude of little specks and spots - things that (once dyed) add to the tapestry. If left white, those small specks draw the eye.

Gary
August 29, 2016 12:15PM
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the explanation. It will be beautiful, I am sure!
Later,
Jeff
Sal
August 29, 2016 10:17PM
Very elegant knife Gary, it's going to be fantastic!
August 30, 2016 10:03AM
Gary
I was at a knife show recently and was admiring a table full of knifes . A lot of the handles were made with camel bones . I talked to the guy for quite a bit but was not to impressed with the craftsmanship . The materials looked great but needed some EXTRA. touches . Like stabilizing and and pinning . Also I noticed the grinds were not symmetrical on the tip of blade . When those areas are sub par I could only imagine what the steel had done to it . This guy was talking about all his forge worked knifes but you could clearly see water jet / laser cuts on the spline of the blade .

The hollow ground blade had a nice clean look on the edge side . The knifes were pretty cheap in more ways than one . ( less than $100 ) He did have a few hundred on the table which I know is a lot of work but ..... I guess just spoiled ! Hahaha
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
August 30, 2016 12:51PM
Hi Kurt,

Ah ..... the old "hit it a few times with s rubber hammer, and call it forged .... trick". Haha.

Sounds like smooth work - water jet marks on the spine???? excited

So Kurt ..... was this guy the ONLY guy there who had ever seen a tool? How long did you stay???? Man, I've been wasting my time with all this fussing with details! Hahaha.

I've seen the camel bone for sale. But, most all of it looks like it was jigged with a dull chainsaw, and then dyed some hideous color!!! In other words, they ruined the material before trying to sell it. Anyway. Aren't camels valued work tools? I mean, they aren't food animals are they? So; do they wait around for one to drop dead of mysterious causes? Just ask'n ...,

Fella had a couple hundred knives for sale??? Wow. That's a bunch. Did you put finger prints on all of them? Haha.

Gary
August 30, 2016 02:29PM
Gary
The camel bone caught my eye ! It was polished with almost a translucent look . He told me they eat camels in some countries too . I did look it up and it seems brittle from what I read .
I like to talk to the makers as much as buying their product . He was a Michigan guy he told me but I never heard of him or saw him at any shows . Like I said the materials looked great just needed more fit and finish . I think once the knife was cut and handle made there were $$&$ signs in his eyes!! Ok I'm done .

BTW he was polishing and sharpening them while he was at the show ! Maybe he just needed more time !! scared

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2016 02:34PM by kurt wag.
August 30, 2016 06:05PM
Ok. Sorry, I missed you saying that the materials looked good. I was biased by what I'd seen.

If our buddy just needs more fit and finish, that will come. Good for him. As long as he's properly representing what he's selling.

Now Kurt .... I feel I should recommend that you limit your contact with OTHER knife makers. whistling. I'm just say'n .... laughing.

Gary
September 01, 2016 09:45AM
Haha
Gary you got nothing to worry bout in the competition dept . The knifes were a good 30 -40 years away from being on the table next to yours .
I did buy one for a very reasonable price .( $70) it's a large kitchen knife with a leather holster . I will use it in the kitchen and see how it holds up to the rigors of my culinary talent !

I'm sure I've bought cheeper knifes for camping and such and always regret it when there's catastrophic failer .
It does really make one appreciate a GOOD quality knife having a ( go to ) blade for all purposes !
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
September 03, 2016 03:38PM
Our thread wandered a bit, but I just wanted to make sure that I have said: This Fine Model 97 is NOW SOLD

I'm very grateful for your support of my work.

take a bow

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021