Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Various Pictures of Thursday

Various Pictures of Thursday
September 01, 2016 11:14PM
Bobby's Hobby Lobby got me thru my childhood.

It's been closed a good 25 years I guess. Yesterday, I opened this fresh five pack of exacting blades I had in a container on my bench. Nice to "plan ahead". Package could be from 25 to 50 years old! They set me on the path, and supplied me with tools and materials. thumbs up

Let's see, various blade pics in various stages. Marked with notations of their current condition. Sometimes you come back, and .... has this been tempered? What's the next step??? Notes help.

This 4 Bolster 97 now has its "Finish Cards". When those yellow dots turn green, it will be time to sharpen the finished knife!

Gary
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
September 02, 2016 12:11AM
image.jpeg
Sal
September 02, 2016 01:50AM
Looking good Gary! I hope you are surviving the weather up there, we currently are only suffering from lots of rain here. They did close schools today and tomorrow however.
September 02, 2016 05:02AM
Real nice!

Lon
September 02, 2016 10:43AM
Gary,

It's looking real nice. What is the overall length of the knife? I'm thinking 4.5" to 5". It looks a little bigger then the 2 bolster knife, but not by much.

Keith

BTW - Hope the weather was a non-event for you.
September 02, 2016 11:39AM
Gary
Those are coming along nice . Such a mirror finish is just crazy . I've been working steel for a lot of years and the stainless and aluminum were always my favorite . I've never been able to get a finish like that !

Keith I also was wondering the length . I sized it up to the recipe card the best I could . I guessed 5" handle

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2016 11:45AM by kurt wag.
September 02, 2016 12:47PM
Hi Guys,

I'll measure it.

I'll show the 2 and 4 bolster together.

Both knives are of a very useful size. I'd have a hard time deciding between them.

Pics to be posted ....

Gary
September 02, 2016 12:47PM
Gary,
It's impersive how you get that mirror shine on that tool steel, that 97 has a very natarul look! That dark contrast in the ingraving really catches the eye! Nice work.
I was useing my Barnes bone folder the other day too cut some canvas and it cut like a hot knife thru butter! It's been a great knife... You just can't buy knifes as sharp as a Barnes!

Hope everyone has a good weekend
Matt
September 02, 2016 02:48PM
Requested size comparison pic. Handles - 4" and 4 1/2".

Remember - everything shown is unfinished. thumbs up

image.jpeg

Thanks for Reading!
Gary

As of this time, the 4 Bolster is not yet Sold. ($1,200).
September 03, 2016 02:08AM
Friday Evening:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for watching!
Gary
September 03, 2016 03:30PM
This Fine Model 97 is now SOLD.

I appreciate it very much. It's a beautiful knife. thumbs up

Gary
September 03, 2016 04:10PM
Gary
It's a great thing it sold ! I couldn't watch those yellow dots turn to green much longer . Green IS my highliter color at work . I'm still working on sheaths for my other Barnes edge tools surrender

Thanks
Kurt
September 04, 2016 03:14AM
Ok. Give. Sheaths? What sheaths? Details.

Gary
September 04, 2016 06:27PM
I know what you mean Kurt.

I had already started making payments on it, myself! In fact:

Kelly came into the shop ..... bad dude

Kelly: "What's this?"

Gary: (not looking up). "what ...?"

Kelly: (fluttering a piece of paper). "This CHECK."

Gary; (glancing at the wall with her behind the bug splat in my peripheral vision." "it's a payment."

Kelly: (Hands on hips). "A WHAT?"

Gary: "payment"

Kelly: "A payment ... on WHAT?"

Gary: "this knife - (points to pocket)

Kelly: "SHOW ME".

Gary: (digs out folder, opens hand briefly, pushes knife back into pocket .... studies tool rack .... )

Kelly: "I believe this amount is an inadequate DEPOSIT on THAT particular knife."

Gary: "it is?"

Kelly: "It IS."

"And WHEN did you begin writing TWELVE DOLLAR checks without CLEARING it with the OFFICE?"

"Give it to me." "Now."

And so. Kurt; the knife remained open to buyers. I could have kept it .... if I wanted to .... but I decided to wait a bit and save up .... whistling ......
September 05, 2016 01:34AM
mic'dGary
You got caught ! You should have wrote tool / supplies in the memo on the check . It would have floated right by .

Thanks
Kurt
September 04, 2016 11:23AM
Well Gary
I'm not very crafty or artistic but usually things come to my brain and I'll try to execute a project ( small ) . I'll often start certain projects and let them set next to my lazy boy . I have to be distracted and THEN weird things come to mind . Since I got my antler handle md 97 I've wanted to take it to work but not in my pocket . I've made a couple leather items out of recycled boot leather , old work gloves and even now an old cowboy hat . I've decided to make sheaths for each of my Barnes knifes . I try to encorporate part of the recycled item to save time . I've only made one knife sheath before but that was a old worn out one I tore the stitching out and used as a pattern . It's very relaxing for me and I'm under no pressure to get it done so I take my time and try different things .
I started with this curved antler handle and I'm thinking of punching holes where the clips are and sowing together with copper romex house wire . I will probably glue the seam first . I'm just not sure if I will put eyelets in the holes first or just run the copper thru the hole . I don't want the green oxide effect but love the black and copper look together .

I tried one with silver solder and did about 4 holes . I think copper will add a nice color .
Thanks

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2016 11:31AM by kurt wag.
image.jpg
image.jpg
September 04, 2016 04:12PM
Good for you Kurt.

Looking good. I like your ideas.

If you epoxy that seam first, it will become very solid then you could drill holes for your copper. If you made the holes just large enough, you could use 14 gauge in both directions, and get an X pattern on the stitch.

Enjoy. Glad to see the knives get out of pocket.

Good Fellow!
Gary
September 05, 2016 01:42AM
Thanks for the tip Gary . I have a pretty neat little steel / hand punch ( whitney jr ) that can punch pretty clean holes. It has different size punches and dies up to 5/16" but I didn't think of the X pattern with the copper . I'll keep you posted !

Thanks
Kurt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021