Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Where does your air come from? Compressor ? Dive shop?

Where does your air come from? Compressor ? Dive shop?
May 02, 2009 10:18PM
Those of you with pcp's which is probably all of you what do you do for your air?
If everyone could go through what type of set ups they have would be interesting to hear.

I am set up with a compressor form airtex run it off of 220. I live in a condo so this makes my space scarce, I do not have any larger dot tanks charged up to fill from. The compressor is a little loud so I try not to fill at midnight ha ha.
I have an air hog carbon fibre tank with the handy carry strap. I fil it up and I am off to the range.
May 03, 2009 01:35AM
I don't have a cascade of tanks either Eric.

For the first several years I made airguns, I took my Aluminum 80s to a dive shop about 25 miles away.

I eventually got one of the early Korean high pressure compressors. It seemed to always have an issue. It blew out the multi-stage check valves occasionally. I replaced them. It would just make about 3,000+ psi. I fought it for a couple of years. The last time it blew up, I manufactured my own check valve for it. By then, I was tired of the troubles. I bought a Bauer Junior 2 compressor. It's been bullet proof. It was just the lower grade unit. Not the Oceanic with the forced lubrication system. That was a grand more at the time. I've been pleased with this unit. It's effecient and quick.

I have a few carbon fiber tanks too. Got tired (literally) of the weight of the aluminum tanks.

Gary
May 03, 2009 06:37AM
My lungs...? eye rolling smiley

----------------------------------
May 03, 2009 06:55AM
I have SCUBA tanks but I can't get enough air in them to make big bore shooting viable. I was a pumper (FX hand pump) but I didn't want a heart attack before each shooting session. I have just acquired a CF tank and I am assembling all the bits to make my big bore shooting a breeze...I hopesmiling smiley
Neil
May 03, 2009 07:59AM
Hand pump at the mo' .....
Developing monkey like arms........
Must get scuba before urge to eat bananas becomes to much....
May 03, 2009 12:23PM
I've got a 3000psi scuba that I just got recertified a few years ago. There's a dive shop about 5 miles away that will fill it, and last time I took it in they told me it's already time for another inspection.

Then I got an Airhog 4500psi tank with a reg and 5 foot microline whip for my bench setup. I'm NEVER going back to scuba. smiling bouncing smiley

As for fills -- right now I'm mooching off of Gary, but I expect that will change as soon as I get a PCP that can be shot around the house. There's a volunteer fire department immediately around the corner which I haven't yet investigated -- or I may just get my own (gasoline) compressor.

-- Jim
May 03, 2009 02:36PM
I have new 4500 psi scuba tank and BSA Hill pump. Pumping is bit too much with a big bore, in general, but if I go to the woods (hiking with a gun) I often take the pump in a packbag.
May 03, 2009 10:52PM
Working on getting a compressor. But i currently have an aluminum 3000 psi scuba tank and a carbon fiber 4500 psi tank. I get them both filled at a local dive shop here.
May 04, 2009 02:37AM
Tried it all Eric,
Buddy at the firehouse...didn't want to wear out the welcome so,
Local dive shop with 4500 capability...Katrina wiped it off the map so,
H cylinder nitrogen... hard to tote on hunting trips and price doubled with the most recent fuel increases so,
4700 PSI used compressor on Ebay, Nautilus brand by Bauer, older model with a different name but just like Gary's Junior, gas powered,

I have two tanks both 4500 PSI one 80 and one "pony" tank.

Two regulators with 5 ft whips for bench shooting.

Kent
May 04, 2009 01:38PM
KENT!

How's ELVIS? I see the Aliens brought you back!! grinning smiley

Hey ... has that lead solidified in that cookie tray yet ... hehehe.

Gary
May 04, 2009 04:55AM
All my aiguns are either spring or CO2...

------------------------------------------------------------------
May 05, 2009 04:05AM
Hey Gary et al,

Yes the aliens have dropped me back here at the ranch. I should he able to do some shootin and pic taking. If I get some help from the kids as photogs I'll have a post for "what I like to shoot".

Haven't fired up the lead crucible for sometime now, Jerry does all my cooking lately. I do need to "clarify" all that scrap lead I've gathered from those targets I like so much. Here's a question, can I use a throw away aluminum tray for a mold or will I end up with a mess? You know the ones, like thick aluminum foil, crinkled around the corners.

Kent
May 05, 2009 02:01PM
Hi Kent,

Well, alumimun flows at around 1,100 degrees F. Your lead would be around 750 F. However ... foil that thin might not take it. Personally, I'd use a cheap steel cake tin from the dollar store. If you like the format .. you'll do it again anyway.

I'll bet one of those cheap propane torches they sell to burn weeds around buildings, etc., would be great to melt lead in an iron pot. Of course ... "iron pot" ... hummmm. Actually, you could make a steel pot/tray/mold from about 10 gauge sheet metal. Rectangle ... V notch the corners, bend up by hammering it over the end of a 6 by 6 block ... close the corners ... weld the outside of the seams. Or - have somebody with a hydraulic press fold the tray sides up. Make the sides a pretty steep angle so it releases the cast sheet. Pile full of lead splats and chibbles. Heat the whole mess with the weed torch.

Simple. thumbs up Shouldn't take more than a week and a thousand dollars. grinning smiley

Gary
May 05, 2009 08:04PM
I actually have the heating part down. Remember the shrimp boiler?, that and a dedicated cast iron pot has reclaimed some lead for me in the past. Poured it into cornbread iron wear shaped like corn on the cob. Works well to clean up any residue from the targets, ground or timbers left on the used slugs. Raining here now, not recommended weather for cooking lead outside, tends to spatter, if that the right description of a lead volcano.

Hope you're doing better,
Kent
May 05, 2009 08:32PM
Hi Kent,

That's good. You're all set.

Feel like I have one of those "Parking Boot Clamps" drawn down around my hip ... other than that ... I'm good! confused

Had another MRI series of the lumbar. I go Friday to hear the good news.

Seems it's gonna rain forever here. Arizona is looking better all the time. Huge difference when it's not raining - the drugs actually work then. haha.

Cornbreak Ironware ... hummm ... I could probably make something to shoot those little lead corn cobs ... laughing again

Gary
May 06, 2009 01:38PM
Cob chucker?
May 06, 2009 02:29PM
Cob Chucker MAGNUM

thumbs up
May 09, 2009 06:34PM
some days its good to be a commercial diver , ive a never ending gas supply , id agree with gary on the bauer we have one for recreational diving , they are really neat , bit more costly than some of the others , however , as most of us allready know , you get what you pay for.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021