Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Great Discoveries!

Great Discoveries!
September 09, 2016 09:26PM
I took the council of several guys who caution me not to work myself to complete exhaustion. And so; I took a brief expedition to the BPS Tar Pits. stunned

I was quite fortunate to discover THREE Fossilized Ancient Misquito Tusks!!! Two of soft natural Ivory Coloration. One of a very Dark Burl Type.

image.jpeg

The two natural tusk in crossection.

If you look between them, above; you see the dark Burl crossection. The pattern and colors come up at certain lights and angles. Below here .....

image.jpeg

I've digitally lightened the pic a bit. You see the composition.

I'll be pleased to see what I can get out of these new Ancientine Tusk.

thumbs up

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2016 09:30PM by barnespneumatic.
September 10, 2016 03:55AM
WHOOOH Gary!!!!!

THAT looks like the end grain of Fossil Walrus Tusk!!!! Exact color. Near exact pattern! Been there, seen that!!!

Found it 'yerself ya say??? Kool.

Well, get back to me when it's done. thumbs up

Ok, will do! It's a shame I can't print out the images I see in my mind, of this material displayed in its final format, as a handle material. Something 1). Unique 2). Unavailable elsewhere at any price. 3). Warm to the touch. 4). Stable. 5). Won't crack, warp, split. 6). Legal. 7). Not prone to cause a riot over its usage. 8). Not prone to get your entire collection confiscated. 9). Something with a story other then that it's (as the famous Knifemaker Michael Walker used to say, "Dead animal parts"), Ha. That always got a rise out of his audience. 10). A unique Part of the Gary story.

Ok. Good talk.

High Five.
September 10, 2016 04:23AM
Crossections of natural Fossil Walrus Tusk Ivory (pics grabbed off the net) note colors and patterns.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
September 10, 2016 04:26AM
image.jpeg

Green bowing. coffee

Gary
September 10, 2016 04:36AM
Up late I see.... Yeah, me too. Just watched a video on making a lathe cutter.. rake,relief end. Thats what i do on a friday evening. Interesting material you got there. Don't get stuck in that tar pit lest they find you in a million years.
Steve
September 10, 2016 01:48PM
Yeah Steve ...

I can see some archeologist in a million years going .... "Awlllllll .....who put THAT in here!!!!! Ok .... drag it out, so we can get to that Skeeter Tusk under it ......"

winking smiley

Gary
September 10, 2016 12:30PM
Gary
The ivory color would be a great looking scale for a knife like Miss Kelly showed the other post . You could maybe inlay some of the dark color into a design . Now I'm not saying it would only be good for a woman's knife though . The ivory color one reminds me a one of my favorite fly tying materials too ( polar bear) . I strangely enough have 3 pcs from 3 different areas on a bear . Each has its own beauty .
Even more coffee

Thanks
Kurt
September 10, 2016 01:57PM
Hi Kurt,

You found a mighty cooperative Polar Bear, to contribute to your fly tying kit. Hahah!! bowing. Talked him out of it - three places yet. Haha.

It was indeed, Miss Kelly; who suggested that this tusk would look great if inlaid like her knife! There ya go - Great Minds ...

Gary
September 15, 2016 06:25PM
It's a natural color .

Very nice in the water too . Each hair is like a fiber optic straw . The polar bear skin is like a dark purple and attracts the sun down the folical keeping them warm .

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
September 15, 2016 09:34PM
Hah!!!

image.jpeg

Kurt!

I also found a very dark "Purple Fossil Palm Leaf" ..... I'll use as a very thin liner material to go under the Ivory color tusk. wow Hah!!! Inspired archeological discoveries, I guess. pushingarock

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021