Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Gary's Model 97. Picture History. Knife NOW FOR SALE bullhorn

Gary's Model 97. Picture History. Knife NOW SOLD bullhorn
September 24, 2016 03:11AM
You see the model 97 I've had since I first made it in April 2011. I machined the case, and carefully inlaid scales of blue jigged bone. I didn't think I could/should finish up a Damascus blade for myself ... so I made an O-1 tool steel blade. My intention was to avid etch a vine and scroll overlay on it. O-1 is an excellent tool steel. It is a carbon steel - not stainless. It makes an excellent blade.

Moving on, I evidently had blue bone. My personal choice would have been Green ... so that tells me I was out of Green. I polished the case bright. It looked like chrome. I liked my knife. It was a great tool.

Later on, I decided to carve the frame of my 97. This was a big step for me. I see it was after Christmas and before New Year. This would have been one of my forced vacation segment. I would have figured a lifetime Craftsman should have a more representative knife. I also decided to move to some pieces of Scottish Red Stag that I had boxed on the shelf. Kelly and I bought a rack at an Antique/Curiosity shop about 25 years ago. Only thing missing now was a Damascus blade! But I certainly didn't deserve one of my reserved prime blanks. Those are reserved for such a time as the market seems right. And so I stirred through the blanks that had been laid in the drawer of "Is it or isn't it's." Something in my sixth sence had flagged those blanks. If they were clearly bad, they would have been disgarded. These were the ??? Blanks. Hummmm. Evidently I decided one was worth a grind. I made up the blade and ground it. A piece of forge welded extra improved plow steel cable. Welded into a solid. This batch did not have any highly distinct alloy as a component, so the pattern is not as vivid as others.

The blade was good. Just not striking. But it was my Damascus blade. I carried it and used it for everything. If I needed to open a bag of cement - I did so. It worked. I never had washed it in acid to show the pattern, do it was just shiny chrome looking while I had it. This week, I got out my acid etching kit and tools and acid. This is the first acid etching I've done here at BPS. Neat. I'll do more. When doing this process, you cover up everything you don't want eaten by the acid. You "hand paint" on an acid resist material. Each component of the design is painted seperately. Then the whole thing is bathed in acid. The acid eats what is NOT covered. So it develops the Damascus pattern while it leaves the vine design in standing relief. Later, I remove the resist and polish the result. IF the resist stayed in place, and IF the acid didn't eat under it, and IF I timed it right for depth, etc., it will look nice - show the different component wires of the welded blade billet, and let the vines in standing relief. It did. I'm not as dumb as I look - even for an old fool. Hey - I bought a GALLON on etching resist in 1975. I'm still using it. I only have about 3 quarts left!!! I better order .... and pay for OVERNITE EXPRESS!!!! excited

Oh .... The INNERFRAME design was always THE most complex and highly prized. It requires that you machine a female negative matching the male inlay of handle scales. It keeps the frame strong since the rim surrounds the scales. It requires either a very, very, very costly pantograph mill .... OR .... a highly skilled Craftsman.

When I did the carving on this knife .... it was the first metal carving I'd done here. My tools were still pretty much thrown into place .... (and the sun was in my eyes .... and the dog was eating my homework at the time .... whistling. Fine .... I'll just cut to the Chase.

I had it all apart to clean, freshen, photograph, etch blade, etc. OH .... BLADE .... In matching the blank of steel to my pattern, I found that the blank had an abnormal funky spot that would not allow a clean radius for the lock plunger to run on. Now wouldn't that chap your knees??? So; it was for me .... I dovetailed on
A Nickle extension of metal and soldered it in place. I'm of the silly school that I don't mind seeing a clever repair skillfully done. When I built cabinets from recycled 200 year old stuff, I'd do repairs and grafts and the final clients of the Business I built the furniture for .... loved it!!!! It can show that a piece has a SOUL. It's had a life of knocks - and survived. It's somewhat like an "Unrestored Survivor" in the Automobile Market. And so; I never replaced the blade that became mine thru the frugal use of items laid back many years ago.

I wouldn't market the knife, but it would help at this time. Without getting into the weeds trying to establish comparative value .... Give me $1,250us for it please. I'll slide the check across the table to Kelly, and she will deposit it with her phone. thumbs up. Done.

Gary

THIS EXCELLENT 97, IS NOW SOLD!. take a bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2016 10:12PM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
September 24, 2016 05:18AM
Gary
What great looking knife . If I didn't have trouble staying asleep at nite I mite have missed this fine heirloom ! But alas I woke up and decided to check the forum . I will take that knife if it hasent been spoken for yet . I've always loved the same knife on your home page with mammoth inlay . This knife is very similar to that and I'm glad to own it .

The assembly of knifes layed out look great together also .

Thanks

Thanks
Kurt
September 24, 2016 01:56PM
I'm Honored to have you Own it Kurt. Thank you very much. Insomnia can be a beautiful thing! Haha. Even more coffee

It's yours.

MY PERSONAL 97 IS NOW SOLD

I'm pretty sure Ms. Kelly will put you on the Christmas List this year Kurt! thumbs up

Thanks Bud,
Gary
Sal
September 24, 2016 11:53AM
Wow! Good going Kurt!
Very nice Gary, sorry to see you are needing to part ways with it. Great knife and some history to boot.
September 24, 2016 07:33PM
Sal
Thanks I do get lucky every now and then . I'm sure Gary WILL come up with an even better knife for his belt !

Thanks
Kurt
September 24, 2016 02:45PM
Thanks Gary
I guess if Ms Kelly is in charge of the Christmas gifts , I'll make the check payable to her !! Hehe I've been a good boy so far ! more innocent
Thanks for the opportunity to take care of a great piece .

Thanks
Kurt
September 24, 2016 02:59PM
It all gets handed over Kurt. Haha.

She keeps me in materials and feeds me. I'm grateful for both. thumbs up

(Better make it to me though. The phone Ap doesn't know I just work here, and expects to see my signature - hahah)

She's pretty good at squirreling stuff away for upcoming birthdays and holidays. She slides things under my magnifying lamp for inscriptions now and then. Hah! If I see "Kurt" on anything, I'll let you know!

Gary
September 24, 2016 06:52PM
Hello Kurt,

This is a great purchase. I hope that you enjoy it for the years to come. And please try not to use it to clean your finger nails
September 24, 2016 06:58PM
Hi Gary,

I love the acid etching work that you did to this knife blade.It brings this knife to a higher level and it also complements very nicely with the carvings on the body of the knife. I'm happy for Kurt and happy for me because now you have to make a new one for you and I'll be waiting for the right moment.
September 24, 2016 07:20PM
Julio
I was thinking the same thing . Gary says YOU always talk him out of his personal knifes and now he'll have to make a new one for himself .
Hope your power is back up . I was thinking about you my friend .
Take care

Thanks
Kurt
September 25, 2016 08:39PM
Hi Kurt,

Thanks for asking, yes the power is back. It took 3 to 4 days to recover and now everything is back to normal. I'm glad that you purchased Gary's knife. This one has a great story behind it and I know that this makes this knife a bit more special and I also know that you appreciate that.

Best,

julio
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 6
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021