Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: What type of targets do you like to use best?

What type of targets do you like to use best?
May 04, 2009 06:53PM
I thought this might be a good rainy day topic.

Seems it's going to rain forever here in the East. I'm growing moss on my back again. The yard grass is nearly up to the window sills. However; someday, I hope to be able to go shooting again. Jerry considered coming up Saturday to shoot some. The forecast, however; said we were all gonna die if we went out Saturday. Rain, storms, more rain and storms. So, when it started raining Friday evening, we cancelled. It takes Jerry 2 1/2 hours to get here. He usually arrives about 9:30 am.

Well, you guessed it. At precisely 9:30 am, it stopped raining, and it was a beautiful 68F day ... all day and evening. Started raining again about the time he'd have gotten home ... and it will evidently never stop now. eye rolling smiley

But ... let's talk about targets!

I like to knock things for a loop. I like the ring of steel, and the good ole cartwheel of a heavy steel target. Of course, you have to be pounding out a few fpe to do that. I also like splinters ... but, they are unreliable. You can videotape nine wooden targets in a row ... and they will just "paper punch" with a clean hole, and no splinters or splits will occur. I guarantee, you do NOT film one shot, and the target will burst apart in five pcs., each taking off like a missle! haha.

What to you like?
Gary
May 04, 2009 07:02PM
For sighting in, and precision work... the "shoot n see" ones so I dont have to remember to bring the spotting scope.

Gophers the last few days....shooter with bench rifle

Reactive tagets.... soda or beer cans (still containing beverage) shook up and placed at unknown distances. No doubt whne you hit it.

and if I ever get a line of sight on them, some crack heads that live across the river (kidding, at least till I get a spud gun going.....)shooter
May 04, 2009 07:19PM
Depends what caliber. smiling bouncing smiley

You covered the bigger stuff Gary. I like shooting pieces of cordwood stood up on end, in order to test penetration into the hard oak at distance.

For smaller stuff -- brittle plastic toys are a lot of fun. E.g., plastic army soldiers filling in the role of Taliban fighters. smoking smiley I had a cheap Mr. Potato Head toy from a fast food kid's meal last year that provided hours of entertainment until he became too deformed to reassemble. The tried and true beer can also takes a lot of damage around here. drinking smiley

-- Jim
May 05, 2009 01:34AM
Hmmmm... now what would you be doing with a kid's meal? You didn't snatch some poor kid's toy and high tail it out of Mcdonald's did you? rolling happy smiley
May 04, 2009 07:22PM
Stuff that does stuff when you hit it hard with lead stuff excited

Though the wife gives me withering looks usually reserved for delinquent teenagers when I smash stuff.

Also my 5 year old daughter definately does not like it when Barbie, in full evening wear, gets blasted from 50 yards....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2009 07:23PM by Pablouk.
May 04, 2009 07:32PM
Pablouk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Barbie, in full evening wear, gets
> blasted from 50 yards....

Head shots? hehehehe

I mean, for shame, taking that kid's precious toy!

Pics of said carnage?
May 04, 2009 08:27PM
OK ... now we're sure to get discount group rate offers from therapy clinics. eye rolling smiley

I HAD to ask ..... laughing again

Gary
May 05, 2009 01:36AM
You shot Barbie? Boy, I thought I had a problem with women.. eye rolling smiley laughing again
May 10, 2009 04:44PM
"Barbie, in full evening wear" !?

Everybody knows she should be wearing khakis and be in her Jeep. This is outdoors man!fudd
May 04, 2009 09:08PM
At a distance small ballons make great targets no doubt when there hit but only good once.
May 04, 2009 10:55PM
Eric Wrote:
> At a distance small ballons make great targets no
> doubt when there hit but only good once.

Plasters' book "the Ultimate Sniper" says to use heluim ballons at various distances, tied with different lengths of string.
He says when the breeze kicks up, the balloons react differently depending on a number of factors. Might be fun....
May 05, 2009 01:38AM
If ya'll want me to delete this topic to protect the guilty, just let me know! whistling
May 05, 2009 02:24AM
I like your gopher target the best Gary. Is there any chance you make one for sale? He..he. I like to break things when I shoot, soda cans, glass bottles, clay targets, spinner steel targets. My most favorite was a quarter that I taped it to the target, and I shot a hole through it at 100 yards with a Savage .300 Winchester Magnum. I kept that quater in my wallet awhile to remind me how accurate that gun was. I love accurate guns, doesn't matter if it was a firearm or airgun. Just talk about it makes me want to go out and shoot he.. he.
May 09, 2009 07:46AM
I like steel cans ("tin" cans) since they hold up so much better than aluminum beer and soda cans do. You can fill them full of holes and they'll still be intact and shootable long after a pop can is reduced to tattered whisps. If it's a range where shotguns are used, you can often find intact claybirds that were missed or just nicked and didn't break. I've found that perhaps the best target backer material is old political campaign signs, the ones that look like corregated cardboard but are actually plastic. They're weatherproof, last forever, and you can usually get them for free after the latest campaign is over. It's just coincidence that most of them seem to be Obama signs. whistling
May 09, 2009 02:11PM
Hi Sean,

I wonder if there is different mixes of plastic used in those signs. I bought a sheet of "correplast" ... corregated plastic sheeting. I thought it would sort of "heal" behind the slug strike. Kent has used the material on some projects and it seemed like such neat stuff. I tracked it down to a sign company - bought a sheet. However; the version I bought shatters around the hole. The hole becomes 2-3 times the size of the strike, and therefore won't last as long as a sheet of cardboard. I wonder if you know ... or anyone knows, what specific type of the correplast is more flexible? I'd rather not go to the Obama campaign headquarters. Guess I could get a couple of hundred of those signs from the neighbors though ....

Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2009 02:24PM by barnespneumatic.
May 09, 2009 06:26PM
clays , they make good targets , easy to see and they do things too , or , crackers and dog biscuits . sticks of chalk , and as much as i hate to admit it , anything mcdonnalds gives away.
May 10, 2009 08:44AM
Dyson Diver Wrote:
>
> anything mcdonnalds gives away.

LOL. Yup, guilty of that one too....!!!
May 10, 2009 04:40PM
Steel! Spinners because you don't have to reset them.shooter
May 13, 2009 04:22AM
Here's some of my favorites rearranged just for fun. Now if only they would cooperate. Lon you wouldn't like these, too much resetting here. knucklehead

These are shot with the Carnivore 58 and a 450 gn slug. The piece you see flying off the target weighs 180 grns the rest are little petals of lead. I have another video but alas it is too large for the photobucket, I've got to learn to shoot faster! BTW this is shot at 100 yards from a bench with line hook up at 3100 PSI.

Kent

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 04:30AM by Cajun Justice.
May 13, 2009 04:55AM
Kent,

I would like to ask you something and can't find you e-mail addy. Would you shoot me a "here" that I can use to reply to?

lbeshiri@bellsouth.net

Lon

P.S. I'll set those up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2009 04:55AM by Bigbore.
May 13, 2009 01:29PM
Now that looks like fun! I like the shot through the card board!
May 13, 2009 01:49PM
Cool video Kent. Those slugs are getting there quick for 100 yards!

The Carnivore is a beast . . . good stuff.

-- Jim
May 13, 2009 08:03PM
Hey - Great video.

Seems those heavy steel plates disappear rather quick when struck!

grinning smiley

Gary
May 16, 2009 09:04AM
Hey Gary, I'm not sure what plastic they use for the political signs but it feels slick to the touch, almost greasy (coincidence? I think notlaughing again) I'm guessing some sort of polyethelene, but I don't know for sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021