Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Favorite Kitchen Knife

Favorite Kitchen Knife
October 30, 2016 03:19PM
image.jpeg

I took one of these kitchen knives after I offered it for a while. It's been my favorite since then. I love the handle shape. Love the feel of the Skeeter Tusk. The serration makes it the best "mater knife" I've ever used. Especially cutting those grape tomatoes in half for salads.

This has been an "In the Field" report brought to you by your guys at Barnes Pneumatic! There's 42 years worth of "Other Stuff" (what we here call "OS"), out there. excited If you have some ... show it. thumbs up

Thanks!
Gary

Don't forget: you can pre-order my biography from Amazon. While it hasn't been written yet, titled "Filling a Cosmic Black Hole", promises to drag you through 62+ years of "building stuff". Along with Gary, you'll sketch out the idea you woke with, from a headache induced forced nap. After jotting down the key innovations, you'll both put said sketch in a drawer, folder, map tack it to a wall, or slip it into a convenient worm hole. Nine to twelve years later, you and your shop buddy will revisit the sketch (as you step from yet another wormhole), and think .... "what a Truely Great Idea" ..... then refile it. Along with Gary, you'll finish a project at midnight, photograph it .... post the pictures at 1:37am, and then gaze over a coffee cup rim at 7, to see if anyone commented on it. "Filling a Cosmic Black Hole", tracks each OCD filled hour spent making certain nothing left the studio before it was darned near fiddled to death. thumbs up. You'll read, re-read ..... and re-read yet again." And still not be able to put it down until it's removed from your hand. Order now. Buy one for a friend, if you haven't driven them all madd. excitedMore coffee

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2016 06:35PM by barnespneumatic.
November 05, 2016 07:45PM
Well guys
This is one of my favorite kitchen knives because it's a custom hand made knife . I love the shape and it sharpens really easy but the handles/ scales were NOT stabilized . The handle has a tappered area at the top where your fingers are up from the cutting surface .The balance in my hand feels equal . If you notice at the pins it has cracked to the outside edge on one side and small little splits on opposite side . I do know safe food handeling practices and this is a certain trap for bacteria . I'm not sure IF I should remove the scales and replace or repair ....OR repair on the knife itself with an epoxy . I really don't want to remove the maple burl due to possible damage . I'm sure I could replace it IF a better one came along ! Hint hint I'm sure not ready to retire it .

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
November 05, 2016 09:10PM
Whooooohhh!!!! THAT is a HAZARD right there!!!!! Oh yeah ....

Can't be fixed. Nope. Gotta be replaced .... whistling

KRAZY THING!!!! I know a guy who just got into STABALIZED WOOD. ...... SAID WOOD!!!!!. Yep.

The vacuum pump has been here for several weeks. It's my Christmas present I hear .... rudolph .... And I'm waiting for my custom vacuum chamber. Should arrive momentarily. I'm excited. Plan is to Stabalize Spalted Live Oak, and Spalted Holly from here on the property. Yayyyyy!!!!

So, are you happy with the Carbon Steel Kurt? Guess you are. You said so. I like it too. Makes great blades. Kelly doesn't want to use it in the kitchen. She's sure it will accidently get left laying wet or put in a dish of water with the silverware. Who would DO SUCH a thing ..... whistling.

I can't wait to make some simple using knives and nicer stuff with my own Stabalized WOOD!!!! (Somebody wake up Joebill ...). And where's Sean these days .... Hope he's well. I'll have to write ....

I don't know where the hours go. Wow.

Oh .... Clean the handle crack with a tiny drop of lacquer thinner. Let dry. Wick in the water consistency Superglue. Scuff sand from 220 thru 800 grit. Then throw the thing away and get a Barnes. thumbs up

Gary
November 06, 2016 11:15PM
WOOD? Did somebody say WOOD?

haha

I think stabilized wood works real well for knives - it's not exactly "waterproof" but it does resist it well, and doesn't warp much. Makes the wood surface harder too, so you can use spalted stuff and the like.

looking forward to seeing what you come up with Gary !!!
November 07, 2016 04:27AM
Hah!!! I thought that WOOD bring you out!! Hehe.

I'm excited to master the process. I've researched it extensively and the process makes sence to me.

I'll keep you up to date here.

Thanks Bill. Hope you and yours are well.
Gary
November 08, 2016 10:58PM
Spalted stuff can come out really cool with stabilizing. There's a way to incorporate dye too- sometimes that can make stuff POP!!

The oily woods (cocobolo, rosewoods) don't really like stabilizing that much.

Koa LOVES stabilizing - probably my favorite stabilized wood of all"festive"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021