Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 50 Cal Shrouded Auxiliary Barrel

50 Cal Shrouded Auxiliary Barrel
November 01, 2016 09:40PM
I've gotten to know the owner of my first Outrider 50, well. And, agreed when he asked if it were possible to tone down his rifle a bit to hunt on his land. He has adequate acreage. So I felt ok about the project.

I've made the barrel, threaded it. Made the new slide breech. Made all the weight reduced steel internal components. This is an integral unit - all welded into one piece.

Hope it's in time for this year's season. He's already harvested deer with it last year. fudd ................ rudolph

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There will be a new barrel clamp for the new diameter. The whole kit will just fit in place - with hand tools - ready for sight-in.

Good Luck!
Gary
November 02, 2016 04:02AM
Gary,

Looks like are keeping very busy! I am sure the owner of the 50 Outrider will be ver pleased with the shrouded barrel you are making.

My understanding is that any device built that has to be destroyed to take apart doesn't count as a silencer in the USA? Then again airguns aren't considered firearms in USA either. Was going to say Canada sucks but then remembered the two presidential candidates running and USA has their hands full with that one!

Keep us posted with the final assembly and firing, be neat to hear/see a before and after install.

Best regards,

Pedro
November 03, 2016 05:09AM
Gary,

How far away is the Outrider owner from your place?

Do you see deer or other game in your area?

Lon
November 03, 2016 01:56PM
Hi Lon,

Have no idea. Why? Wait .... You think I moderated his rifle so he doesn't bother me shooting .... I get it now. thumbs up

We have seen some deer when out driving. But never on the estate here. We've heard of black bear - oddly, they are a pest down in the Beach area of Navarre. Can you imagine. We have squirrels and saber tooth Misquitos.

Gary
November 03, 2016 02:10PM
Gary,

Nice clean work on the shrouded barrel... Looks to be very nicely fitted together! I honestly prefer a big bore air rifle for hunting deer for the quiet factor! Plus I live below the rifle line in Michigan, so we can only use shotguns muzzle loaders and pre charged big bore air rifles .35 cal and higher. Also some pistol calibers are legal.....iirc..

I've always wondered how well a shrink fitment would work, for a muzzle brake or air stripper or if there would be any benefits at all? By shrink fitment I mean making the diameter of the muzzle brake/ air stripper, that slides over the barrel a couple thousands smaller then the diameter of the barrel and heating the muzzle brake/ air stripper so it grows and then shrinks and clamps down on the barrel when cooled down...any how the barrel looks great im sure the customer will be happy!

Bet it won't even spook the deer!
Matt
November 03, 2016 03:03PM
Hi Matt,

Good to see you again

I would think it would be quite difficult to get things into position before the shroud assembly cooled. If you are talking about an add on at the end of the barrel, possibly.

I would also fear the fit would fatigue. When you shoot, the slugs are covered in oil. That oil is pressed, under pressure, throughout the interior of the shroud. I think it would find its way under the shrink fit components.

Best,
Gary
November 03, 2016 04:12PM
Gary,

yes I was thinking an attachment......something along the lines of these here..
image.jpg
image.jpg
I've seen air strippers on high end competition air guns but never on any big bores..from what I've read stripping the air right as the slug leaves the barrel improves accuracy.. Good point with the oil! Building a shrouded barrel would be vary difficult with the shrink fit process... And I'm not sure if it would be considered one solid unit... Do you plan to blue the shroud? Or give it a polished look?

Matt
November 03, 2016 10:40PM
Hi Matt,

Chemical Blue - as with the Outrider Series. thumbs up

Air Strippers huh. Improve accuracy huh. I can't believe you made me climb a step ladder to take pics of targets I stapled up on the wall!!! why me

Haha. It's hard on an old man.

Imagine if I had an air stripper .... ..... And ..... something other than a 4X shotgun scope!!! laughing Hahahaha. thumbs up

Thanks Matt - just kidding you!
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2016 10:42PM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
November 03, 2016 11:56PM
Gary,
that's some impressive accuracy considering all the different slug weights! Tight groups! Must be that left hand twist...not sure what happened with the second target however I can almost see three bullet holes lol.. Don't think your barrels will need any air strippers! Thanks for the pics... You make some extremely accurate barrels no doubt!

Matt
November 04, 2016 12:33AM
Hi Matt,

That target was a "Sighter and two Fliers!"

whistling

Gary
November 04, 2016 08:39PM
Gary
That's a great addition to the Outryder series of airguns . I'm sure the new owner will love it too . I really like the senerio Matt was talking about too . I've done a lot with dry ice and heat and really wonder if tolerance's were tighter and using dry ice ... My bet would be a pretty permanent marriage .

Thanks
Kurt
November 07, 2016 10:36AM
Gary,

That looks great! Can't wait to see how it shoots and hear it's report, or lack of.
I hope the pain is improving.

Scott
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021