image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Re: Pictures
November 13, 2016 03:48AM
Gary,

Looks like another knife build! Sure beats my 3D printing haha

Weird, only the one sentence posted above.
Edited...
I had asked, is that all file work with the grooves and relief areas or is some milling involved? I assume the blade is milled some?

Having read other posts I understand the curved parts are the springs? Keep blade locked or other purpose?

Pedro

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2016 03:26AM by pedrog.
November 13, 2016 01:11PM
Gary
What am I looking at ? Are those pieces of different knifes ? They look like 2 different mechanical knifes with file work . I got alittle thrown off when you put the 2 pcs together side by side . So it looks like your cooling rack caught on fire a couple of time . Is there a scientific reason behind the burnt wood like a carbon factor or an absorption of heat or softness ? Maybe I'm reading into it to much .

Shrimp linguini Mmmm love it !

Thanks
Kurt
November 13, 2016 02:38PM
Hi Kurt,

Yeah. Those are three pocket folders! Yayyyyyy. Blades and springs after hardening portion of the heat treat.

A charred block of wood is just a simple carbon block. It's something you can use as a base to solder on. It doesn't absorb the heat from your torch. It doesn't fight the flame of your torch. I do show some things like this along the way. That is an extremely valuable tip for at would-be jeweler in the audience.

You will see that I just converted this older carbon block into a cooling rack yesterday. When I saw the parts sitting there, I felt it was a good pic in the making.

Note: I suspect some will feel that a 3,000 degree torch will just make this block of wood go up in a "Poof". However: that block of wood is probably 20 years old. The Carbon char is already burnt. It just takes the heat without igniting. I'll get a superficial flame but it goes out when the torch is removed. Mainly it's burning off any oils or contamination that gets on it.

thumbs up

Gary
November 13, 2016 02:48PM
Gary,
I'm very hungry now!! You get some good meals!
Every time I show someone the file work on the pocket folder the can't belive it was done by hand! Really adds to the pocket folders well...
Looking like their gonna be nice!

Matt
November 13, 2016 03:22PM
Thks Matt!

Glad you like the Filework.

It's laid out and cut, by eye. In the one pic, although there is a different radius on the back contour of the handle, and thus the spring - look how close the Filework is it being s mirror image - one knife to the other.

It does add to the unique feel of a handmade folder.

Kelly hooks me up with some great meals. I really appreciate it and really enjoy dinner. Usually. I just end my shop day first, and so I eat at about 8:30-9pm. Late, but eating and going back to reopen the shop for another 90 min. - especially during the pain times - and not that it's dark at 5:30 .... is also hard. So Kelly puts some extra love into her dinners.

Thanks Matt,
Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 3
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021