Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: NEW!!!boing. BASE CAMP SERIES. Prototype FOR SALE bullhorn

NEW!!!boing. BASE CAMP SERIES. Prototype NOW SOLD take a bow
November 18, 2016 12:14AM
There has been a "Feature Creep" that has applied to my handmade knives. Most readers will not realize, perhaps appreciate, and finally - simply not care; about some of the features I attend to in building a custom knife. If I insist upon building features that you don't want, then you simply won't be drawn to purchase.

And so; let's start at the beginni ...... no, actually several years after that. When I knew more then at the beginning - about steel and heat treating and materials ..... but before I thought that everyone wanted "it all".

The BASE CAMP SERIES - by BARNES.

Good steel. Properly heat treated. A well made knife. 100% handmade. A tool to be carried and enjoyed for generations. O-1 High Carbon Tool Steel, Brass Alloy liners, Natural polished Cow Shin Bone.

Following is the Prototype. It's a very nice pocket folder. Heck, I don't even have a Barnes now and I thought about keeping it. But - you need it worse. $325 buys the Prototype. I'm going to tell you straight up. $325 doesn't buy $700 in work. There's gonna be a difference. But it buys a solid 100% handmade Barnes. $10 shipping.

Drop Marker Here. Go to PM with details.
Thank you much.

Gary

NOW SOLD - THANK YOU!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2016 02:29AM by barnespneumatic.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
November 19, 2016 12:35PM
Base camp you say ? Hmmm looks like a good working mans knife . Compared to your usual knives it looks easier to make but ...... I still know it's a lot better than any of the crap knifes you can buy on the street . I'm still someday going to make or finish a couple of fixed blade knifes my son and I started awhile back .

Thanks for sharing Even more coffee

Thanks
Kurt
November 19, 2016 02:06PM
Gary,

That's a nice knife, and a reasonable price. Alice like your fancy models, "works of art" as she calls them, but I just like well made tools, and that sure looks like one.

Keith
November 19, 2016 02:59PM
Hi Keith,

Thank you. That was the idea.

There are "Iconic Phrases" that develop in all industries. One I've heard since 1974 is .... "Now I don't need anything Fancy ... but". Have heard it ten thousand times.

And, we don't. For the job - we don't. But most of us "want" a little bit of fancy - just for seasoning.

From the builder's viewpoint, it's also inescapable that about 60% of final cost are the fundamental requirements. You can decide to just build a very, very modest house. But you are going to need a building lot. You are gonna need permits. Lots of them. You are going to need a septic system, or access to city service. You are going to need a well or city water. You'll need electrical service. On and on. At that point, you can build a one room if they will let you. But all those preliminary items won't cost any less.

The same goes for a modest tool pocket knife, or a modest hunting rifle. You have a very long list of requirements to make a strong, safe, accurate tool. And those requirements don't take any less skill or effort, just because you plan to stop at a more modest level of finish.

That is the reason this modest knife isn't $100. That's because you wouldn't be pleased with a rubber blade. Or a knife you couldn't open without Vise Grips. Or close without a heavy welding glove. You expect your modest tool, to still perform to a superior level. It still represents a handmade folding knife from a Master Bladesmith. I won't make a piece of junk. I can't. Don't know how.

Ok! I sincerely hope you all have a Blessed Thanksgiving!

From The Barnes Family.
God Bless

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2016 06:41PM by barnespneumatic.
November 20, 2016 11:03PM
90 views. Two Buds ... hey, pretty thin feedback.

You looking at blade shape?

You like/hate the finish?

You like/hate the bone?

You think it's too cheap .... don't cha? You can tip you know ... if you'd feel better ...

You like the size?

You like the polar bear carving on the handle?

90 reads ..... ya guys know how to type, right? typing. How's a kid supposed to learn ....???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2016 11:21PM by barnespneumatic.
November 20, 2016 11:33PM
Hi Gary,
I like the knife. I think the price is right. But I'll save you the trouble of shipping and pick it up, if you don't mind.

It looks like the simplicity will show the makers touch every time it comes out of my pocket.

I'll drop you the funds in the mail, but hang onto it till I get by.

Thanks,

Kent
November 21, 2016 02:26AM
Hi Kent,

Thanks very much. That will make a good tool for a Master Kayak Builder.

You have some of my finest work. And yet, I'm quite satisfied to have you own and use this knife. You will not find anything lacking in this quality tool.

Glad to see you any time is suits.

Best,
Gary
Sal
November 20, 2016 11:51PM
Hey Kent! Can you see that polar bear carving? I think you need some of that special magic ink to reveal the engraving. tongue sticking out smiley
Congratulations!
November 21, 2016 02:21AM
It's right there Sal. I worked to depict those pressure ridges of ice/snow. The crevasses. The entrance to the snow cave. You should note the Coke machine right outside. It's blown over with ice from last night's storm ... but is just to the right of the cave. If you squint, you'll note the bear (curled up inside, with his back to the opening). Clear now?

Thanks Sal
Gary
Re: NEW!!!boing. BASE CAMP SERIES. Prototype NOW SOLD take a bow
November 21, 2016 08:52PM
Gary
I say sheepfoot
Don't run with scissors ( tip )

I love polar bears ! Haha

Good buy Kent !

Thanks
Kurt
November 23, 2016 11:33PM
I wish I would have made back sooner. I would have bought this one too!

Scott
November 27, 2016 01:40AM
I like it, simplicity is it's own kind of elegance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021