Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Bethany Oakley

Bethany Oakley
December 17, 2016 03:23AM
I wondered if someone from the Skeeter Shoot might send me a pic of Bethany's amazing shot from Saturday evening. Folks were enjoying shooting so much, that darkness didn't stop them. ("What .... This? This is Nothing!!!.....). So they kept shooting - any gun and any target of their choice.

Bethany accompanied Keith's Son, Brian. She wanted to shoot the 87 caliber "Shopzilla!!!" This is a BEAST of a gun. We were shooting it's average weight slug a mere 925 grains. The gun is fitted with a smooth bore barrel, so that it might also shoot buck and bird shot. After being told to pull the gun tight into her shoulder (against recoil) and to NOT sneak up on the Scope ( against Scope Recoil travel) .... and that the trigger was a light two stage .... she was "Live". The Lights of Kelly's Van were on the darkened range. Kurt held a Mongo Flashlight that ignighted brush if held still for too long. And my measly clip light with curly Flourscent bulb led the way.

She choose the "Clay Bird @ 50 yards! Murmurs of "Oooouuuuuuuhhh" rippled thru the onlookers. eye popping smiley. She Aimed. She tripped the second stage.

The night Thuuuunddereddddd!!!!!! The shooting trailer expanded and contracted. We all steadied ourselves. We peered into the gloommmm.....

The Bright Orange Clay Bird was ...... GONE!!!!! stunned

bullhorn. RANGE COLD!!!!! bullhorn. SECURE THE GUN ......

We all shoved and pushed our way down the ramp, as ONE. We burst onto the range. excited FLASHLIGHT!!! My CAMERA is dead!!! OUCH!! (Watch that steel bunny target) .... Where'd she hit????.....

BIRD DOWNNnnnn ...... bullhorn

.....The clay birds were rimmed by three drywall screws and a rubber band. Makes it easy to replace. Resists shaking the clay off the board after close misses.

We all collected at the 50 yard backer ..... "I can't see". "That's my foot...." "Which one was she aiming at....."

image.jpeg

WOWwwwwwuuuuuhhh................

NICE..................

SWEET...............

SIC...........

Good shooting Bethany! thumbs up

(Oh yeah. It eventually dawned on me, one afternoon; that the backer board was right outside .... and the 87 CALIBER HOLE was still there!)

Nice Shot!!!

Gary

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 03:59AM by barnespneumatic.
December 17, 2016 04:22AM
Annie Oakley has nothin' on Bethany!! She put them boys in their place!! She never gave any of them a chance to yell " she shoots like a girl"!! Ha!! I did hear a few of them crying behind the shooting trailer, like a little girl!! Girls Rule!!!!
December 17, 2016 11:51AM
Wow Gary! The Planets aligned on that very moment. What are the odds? A person that is shooting this rifle for the first time. That rifle is huge, I mean huge compared to a regular size rifle. 87 caliber smoooooooth bore, shooting at night with some deemed light, shooting with a bunch of guys looking at you while you perform, everybody giving instructions on how to shoot this rifle, and then she scored a perfect centered shot.

AMAZING !!!

I'm very sorry for missing this year Skeeter Shotfrown

I want to wish you all to have some Happy Holidays

Julio
December 17, 2016 02:49PM
We missed you Julio. You are always welcome.

We really enjoyed the fire and the shooting. I thought about getting out your Nebula 2, on several occasions. Before I could, someone intercepted me and the subject changed. Hah.

We hope your travels were safe. A Merry Christmas to you, Julio!

Gary
December 17, 2016 01:31PM
I didn't catch the picture of the clay but I do recall all the coaching the guys were trying to do . Beth~Annie was watching and absorbing all before taking her shots . No doubt the largest caliber gun she and others have EVER shot . But that didn't stop or even slow her down .

It was a great time watching the target react

Thanks
Kurt
image.jpg
December 17, 2016 01:50PM
Here's a picture of the master/ owner & operator showing off what he made . I remember when it was brought out of the shop and Gary passed it off and we all took turns holding it . As if that wasn't enough then Kent went down to the compressor shed to fill up a bottle or two . OMG we're going to shoot this thing . I'll bet there was 5 lbs of lead shot thru the beast that day .

5lbs lead @ 900 + grains each = about 40 shots

Sorry for the poor quality pics but it was a moment I had to capture .

Thanks
Kurt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 01:59PM by kurt wag.
image.jpg
image.jpg
December 17, 2016 02:56PM
Explanation:

This rifle was made to accept reservoirs of any length. It was made to accept barrels of any caliber and length. It's intended to test barrels and ammo designs.

For someplace to start, I installed the biggest/longest barrel and a full length reservoir. This gives the whole gun it's cartoon appearance, but yields a Beast of a gun that brings smiles at first sight. It also produces flying steel targets! In this format; it's been dubbed "Shopzilla!!!" Hahaaahhhhhhhhhh.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 4 on March 10, 2022
Record Number of Guests: 234 on February 21, 2021